Lieutenant
# 1 Query about gateway site
01-02-2013, 12:21 PM
i have been told that there is a bug in the gateway.startrekonline site that allows a user to view anyones ship screen,boff setup etc,i dont know if this a part of gateway but it sounds fishy to me,i dont like the idea of anyone being able to see my ship setup etc
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelata View Post
i have been told that there is a bug in the gateway.startrekonline site that allows a user to view anyones ship screen,boff setup etc,i dont know if this a part of gateway but it sounds fishy to me,i dont like the idea of anyone being able to see my ship setup etc
I believe it's working as intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
This is already possible You can change the URL to view a different character@handle. We will also be providing players an option in the near future to disable others from viewing their characters if they wish (sensitive data, like EC and Dilithium totals, can not be seen by anyone other than yourself), as well as adding ways to look up your friends and fleet mates without having to edit the URL.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
01-02-2013, 12:33 PM
yep they can data raid you

This NEEDS to change and those doing it need to be banned
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post

What exactly do you mean by "data raid"...?
Lieutenant
# 5
01-02-2013, 12:36 PM
yes doesnt sound right to me,i dont want anyone to see my ship setup or personal details,this has to be raised with branflakes
Captain
# 6
01-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post

Data raid? What?

Just about every MMO has a feature like this, and it's intended. Why should anyone be banned?
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelata View Post
yes doesnt sound right to me,i dont want anyone to see my ship setup or personal details,this has to be raised with branflakes
Why are you so worried?

Why do you care if other people see your ship setup?

"Personal Details"...what personal details?
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
01-02-2013, 12:44 PM
for Data raiding

ok suppose you log into a pvp queue
some data raider is paid by the enemy to go find out your FULL specs
you are then murdered because they know EVERYTHING about you

also attempts have been made to use this information for harassment , persecution and even blackmail

its WRONG
and having it out there without an option to block or limit is a serious Error of judgement

consider some people may name boffs after family members or partners (or pets)
password information may be vulnerable
personal identities are vulnerable
home addresses can be reconstructed

Person A has ships named "bridgeport" "New hampshire" and A captain named "Ross"
well gee theres his name and home town

Person B has a ship named after his aged and much beloved mother
this is also the password for his email address

and so on

Data raiding is part of phishing and is not acceptable

(and now some particularly humerous and evil person will read MY data and post it here for reasons of giving offence )
Captain
# 9
01-02-2013, 12:48 PM
what.

Are you saying someone is using their password as names for their ships or Boffs or something?

And that people are paying other people to look up your spec in the middle of a PVP match so they can stomp you?

And that people are basically frontloading all of their personal information onto their ships and boffs?

I'm not sure you entirely know how this thing works.
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
01-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
what.

Are you saying someone is using their password as names for their ships or Boffs or something?

And that people are paying other people to look up your spec in the middle of a PVP match so they can stomp you?

And that people are basically frontloading all of their personal information onto their ships and boffs?

I'm not sure you entirely know how this thing works.
Yes some people DO use words with special meaning as passwords and ship names (example a friend of mine uses the city of his birth as both a ship name AND his account password and yes he is an idiot (if you are reading this Steve EVERYONE knows your passwords))

Yes some people ARE using it to cheat (while teams are still being formed AND in pug pvp)

People do this
I have for example spread among my (vast army of) Alts characters named after people I admire / respect
some people use family names / their own name / their spouse etc
a lot of this is also security data for bank accounts etc
its a vulnerable system
Closed Thread