Empire Veteran
# 111
12-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Not really. Only The Motion Picture, The Voyage Home and First Contact are direct threats to Earth. Nemesis is more about one man's insanity as he could never realistically have destroyed the federation, it only took a handful of ships to stop him after all, and the Undiscovered country was more about a bunch of Klinks sabotaging a peace process. The rest deal with personal vendettas and the crew risking all to save one of their own. The Final Frontier is a bit of an odd ball one but has one of the best lines in any Trek movie "Excuse me. I'd just like to ask a question. What does God need with a starship?"
A thalaron radiation generator that could kill whole planets and sabotaged peace between humans and Klingons sound like threats to the Federation though Indirectly, yes, but they ARE threats, even if they never fully materialized

Yes, some of the movies dealt with 'risking it all' and personal vendettas, but more often than not, there was a direct or indirect threat to Earth and/or the Federation in these movies
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.

Last edited by trek21; 12-06-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Career Officer
# 112
12-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
A thalaron radiation generator that could kill whole planets and sabotaged peace between humans and Klingons sound like threats to the Federation though Indirectly, yes, but they ARE threats, even if they never fully materialized

Yes, some of the movies dealt with 'risking it all' and personal vendettas, but more often than not, there was a direct or indirect threat to Earth and/or the Federation in these movies
Are you stalking me? LOL

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Empire Veteran
# 113
12-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Are you stalking me? LOL
Uh... no lol I merely responded to your comment, pointing out what I thought was a flaw in your argument
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Captain
# 114
12-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
No kirk has issues
he would look for a woman in her 50's
A mother figure

perhaps a role for good old Mrs Gene
I think she died a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimony View Post
Maybe, at the end of the final alternate timeline movie (whenever that is) "Q" could return and repair the timeline and appear on the bridge of the Enterprise just as he did on his first appearance in "ST: Next Generation"

There's technically nothing to repair. But a Q appearance would be hilarious.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Career Officer
# 115
12-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
Uh... no lol I merely responded to your comment, pointing out what I thought was a flaw in your argument
Ha ha ok then. No flaw there really, i did say directly threaten Earth. I think the main thing to note is that the previous movies all required some thought, so far JJ's stuff is rather trivial fluff with lots of big CGI explosions, from the trailer it seems we are in for more of the same. I guess we'll have to wait and see, I'll certainly go and see it because it's Trek, just hope I walk out thinking I've enjoyed a Star Trek film and not Batman in space.

Done now with this thread, everything I have written is my own opinion and could of course be total bollocks LOL

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Career Officer
# 116
12-06-2012, 06:13 PM
I highly doubt the villain is Khan. Remember, Khan originated on Earth of the late 20th century, a time frame that IRL is already well in our rear-view mirror. If Abrams' goal is to spruce up the franchise for a 21st century audience, I can't see him trotting out a villain from what is now our recent "past" - there'd just be too much explaining to have to do for the new target audience of his.
Commander
# 117
12-06-2012, 06:17 PM
I have the strange desire to splice in the SB Yamato theme for that sort segment of the ship rising from the water.
Captain
# 118
12-06-2012, 06:19 PM
The hot blonde chick is going to die! Then it becomes personal for Kirk. 100% guaranteed formula for this plot.
Captain
# 119
12-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
The hot blonde chick is going to die! Then it becomes personal for Kirk. 100% guaranteed formula for this plot.
And then... she be brought back from the dead! ONLY EVIL!!!!

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 120
12-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I think it's either an original character or Gary Mitchel given the Genetically Modified Super Weapon story instead of the Space Magic origin.

Or it's Nero again with some new timey wimey.