12-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Ben Finney!
----
Starfleet Veteran
# 52
12-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
I for one would not feel Gene would approve and if it's not good enough for him it sure as hell aint good enough for me
Now you're just getting silly. Overstating your case doesn't make it a better argument.

As long as Gene got his cut of the royalties, he would approve. You are talking about a guy who wrote LYRICS for the original TOS theme music. Why? So he could get a cut of the composers royalties.

Look, you don't like the fact that the story is no longer one unified, linear time line. Fair enough. But just because you don't like it doesn't mean people who like both aren't "real" fans.

Dial back the hyperbole and labeling a bit, eh? Its hurting whatever valid points you are raising.
Captain
# 53
12-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Quote:
By real fans I mean us, there will be fans of the film that are not Trekkers and there will be Star Trek fans that have watched it since the first TOS was aired as I did on my mother's knee.
I say we drive the blasphemers from our ranks!
# 54
12-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Quote:
My friend the reason is because, imo, Star Trek is not just a collection of stories, it's not just a collection of space movies, it is an idea, a vision, it is one man's vision of how the future could and should be. A future where war and greed, poverty and disease are all to be found only in history books. It is a vision of humanity in the near future giving us hope that we can weather the technological adolescence of the 20th century and where people aspire to be better than they are.

The reason TNG is so popular and why many of the other series are so revered is because of the interpersonal relationships between the crew. We watch them triumph over their own personal difficulties and at the same time watch them reach out the hand of friendship on their journey through the stars. We see them try to avoid conflict at all costs save their own protection and in defense of the weak. We see alien species working together side by side, not a hint of racial prejudice, to explore and learn and occasionally to defend the ideals of a united federation of like minded peoples from across the Galaxy. This is what Star Trek is to me, it's almost a holy reference guide to what we as a species can achieve both technologically and sociologically. This is Star Trek, this is the name given to this set of ideals and to one man's vision.

It is not about a bunch of egotistical hedonistic superheroes who shag anything that move, and blow up anything that doesn't. It's not about bar fights and one liners whilst people, cities and whole planets are disintegrated for no apparent reason other than it looks cool.
I agree to be honest - the movie might as well just be called 'Generic Space Movie II'.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Empire Veteran
# 55
12-06-2012, 07:21 AM
Never let a Star Wars fan direct a Trek movie for Star Wars fans.

(JJ admits that he never liked trek and was more of a SW fan in a interview).

I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
Career Officer
# 56
12-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjumetley View Post
People - please stop with all of this Khan stuff. I'm getting sick of it. Khan this, Khan that... What's so great in Khan that you want to see him again? An idee fixe if you ask me.
What is so great about Khan? Really? Khan was probably the best villain Kirk ever faced. Space Seed is a great TOS episode and ST2 The Wrath of Khan is thought of as probably the best Star Trek film ever made. Judging by the physical acts of the villain in the trailer and his "I have returned" quote, I'm leaning toward this being Khan. And this being Abrahms ST, who's to say some space freighter didn't awaken Khan in this timeline? I mean Abrahms already killed George Kirk, destroyed Vulcan and brought "our Spock" to his timeline.
"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
Empire Veteran
# 57
12-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Quote:
My friend the reason is because, imo, Star Trek is not just a collection of stories, it's not just a collection of space movies, it is an idea, a vision, it is one man's vision of how the future could and should be. A future where war and greed, poverty and disease are all to be found only in history books. It is a vision of humanity in the near future giving us hope that we can weather the technological adolescence of the 20th century and where people aspire to be better than they are.

The reason TNG is so popular and why many of the other series are so revered is because of the interpersonal relationships between the crew. We watch them triumph over their own personal difficulties and at the same time watch them reach out the hand of friendship on their journey through the stars. We see them try to avoid conflict at all costs save their own protection and in defense of the weak. We see alien species working together side by side, not a hint of racial prejudice, to explore and learn and occasionally to defend the ideals of a united federation of like minded peoples from across the Galaxy. This is what Star Trek is to me, it's almost a holy reference guide to what we as a species can achieve both technologically and sociologically. This is Star Trek, this is the name given to this set of ideals and to one man's vision.

It is not about a bunch of egotistical hedonistic superheroes who shag anything that move, and blow up anything that doesn't. It's not about bar fights and one liners whilst people, cities and whole planets are disintegrated for no apparent reason other than it looks cool.

I for one would not feel Gene would approve and if it's not good enough for him it sure as hell aint good enough for me
As previously stated by boglejam73, you seem to be overshooting a little bit there.

That aside, I get that whole vision thing, I really do... but to take it to this kind of extreme that you don't accept any kind of changes (like the existance of JJ's Trek), seems to be going against the very spirit you wish to represent I understood this wouldn't be like the original ST series, and I embraced all the changes... which is more than most ST fans did, claiming to represent ST's vision while at the same time doing the exact opposite of what they're representing: shunning it purely because it was different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblygumsworth View Post
(JJ admits that he never liked trek and was more of a SW fan in a interview).

He also admitted he played up the 'I don't like Star Trek' angle specifically for the press, I might add. Why is still up to the air though
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Last edited by trek21; 12-06-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Career Officer
# 58
12-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket View Post
It can't be Gary Mitchell. He didn't want "vengeance" because he was never wronged. Also his eyes looked like silver and he did psychic stuff with his mind that made him impossible to fight.

This must be Khan. So he was probably found much sooner than in Space Seed. Doesn't matter.
I agree, I see no energy projection/redirection or telekenesis like Mitchell would have. I see only enhanced physical attributes(dexterity, strength, leaping). That would match Khan who was genetically "superior".
"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
Career Officer
# 59
12-06-2012, 07:55 AM
I just don't think it could be Khan. I'm more leaning to Gary Mitchell, which I think could be a little more believable. After all Kirk pretty much buried him and left him on Delta Vega. I'd say that leaves a pretty good motive for revenge.

Last edited by drudgy; 12-06-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Career Officer
# 60
12-06-2012, 07:57 AM
To be honest, it's not the changes to Trek that bother me. Heck, whilst I don't love the 2009 Trek movie, and there was a lot I didn't like about it, I do find it at least tolerable.

However, whilst we admittedly don't know a whole lot about the upcoming movie, I personally find what we have seen quite discouraging. It may as well be a trailer for a Michael Bay movie. Explosions. Large objects crashing into other large objects. Buildings falling down. Fire. More Fire. Fights. Death. Evil Supervillan sneering. All boring, generic, and unimaginative.

I agree with mattjohnsonva to some degree; the Trek series and, arguably, the movies broke boundaries in many areas and produced some very original and thought-provoking pieces of work. What the hell is original about big explosions and fighting?

Sorry, but I find the whole thing laughable - replace the sneering supervillan with the Joker and Kirk with Batman and this could VERY easily be a trailer for another Batman movie.

The premise is for a movie that doesn't do a single thing that half-a-dozen recent movies haven't already done, and 'dark and gritty' translates to 'overdone cliche' so far as I am concerned. Trek or otherwise, this is simply another popcorn movie for drooling movie-goers who don't want to actually have to THINK about what they're watching.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY