Career Officer
# 61
12-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
So basically selling out the ST IP to appeal to a new dumbed down audience. Where are the real stories, why does everything have to be about an explosion every two minutes, if I want explosions I'll go watch Mythbusters. JJ should watch some of the TNG shows, Q Who was right up there along with episodes exploring the human condition such as The Inner Light, what it means to be sentient with The Measure Of A Man, these are some of the great stories that catapult Star Trek far beyond Star Wars and films of a similar ilk,

Roddenberry had a vision all right, the fact we are discussing this 50 years after that vision was first put to paper confirms that. It's up to us the real fans to ensure that his vision is not corrupted and violated in the endless search for $$$.
How is he dumbing down the franchise? If I recall, the Star Trek movie franchise crapped the bed with Nemesis so badly that they didn't bother making another TNG or even bother with DS9 movies. Paramount was so disgusted that it almost sold the movie rights. Star Trek needed a shot in the arm. I think Abrahms did fans a favor my making his Star Trek an alternate timeline(ala Fringe) and making is non-trek movie goers would like it, vs corrupting our original beloved timeline and making fanboys wet themselves in anger. My brother-in-law in not an original Star Trek watcher, but he like Abramms movie. And if this keeps the Trek franchise going, I'm good with it.
"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
Starfleet Veteran
# 62
12-06-2012, 08:03 AM
This looks prety good too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ3ZwtyKs_o
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Career Officer
# 63
12-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposeableh3r0 View Post
Yeah, it's a pretty good twist on the same old zombie apocolypse stuff.
"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
Empire Veteran
# 64
12-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
To be honest, it's not the changes to Trek that bother me. Heck, whilst I don't love the 2009 Trek movie, and there was a lot I didn't like about it, I do find it at least tolerable.

However, whilst we admittedly don't know a whole lot about the upcoming movie, I personally find what we have seen quite discouraging. It may as well be a trailer for a Michael Bay movie. Explosions. Large objects crashing into other large objects. Buildings falling down. Fire. More Fire. Fights. Death. Evil Supervillan sneering. All boring, generic, and unimaginative.

I agree with mattjohnsonva to some degree; the Trek series and, arguably, the movies broke boundaries in many areas and produced some very original and thought-provoking pieces of work. What the hell is original about big explosions and fighting?

Sorry, but I find the whole thing laughable - replace the sneering supervillan with the Joker and Kirk with Batman and this could VERY easily be a trailer for another Batman movie.

The premise is for a movie that doesn't do a single thing that half-a-dozen recent movies haven't already done, and 'dark and gritty' translates to 'overdone cliche' so far as I am concerned. Trek or otherwise, this is simply another popcorn movie for drooling movie-goers who don't want to actually have to THINK about what they're watching.
My only question is... why must EVERY piece of work be original and imaginative?

Now I'm not saying it all has to be the same, but saying it's been done before is no reason to dislike it. Especially before we've even seen the finished film...
Was named Trek17, but still an author: www.enlightenmentoblivion.com.
Career Officer
# 65
12-06-2012, 08:15 AM
It's Ben Finney :p rather than Kirk wronging him and wanting to destroy the Enterprise, Starfleet wronged him and he wants to destroy all of Starfleet
----
Starfleet Veteran
# 66
12-06-2012, 08:21 AM
I don't think the 2009 movie was a good Star trek movie, it was a good sci-fi movie.
So i think this one will be a other good sci-fi movie, i just hope it is also a good star trek movie.
Bone1970 & Bone trader don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac's. BNE Fed Sci.
Bag of Bones & Bone Ugly don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Rom/Fed Tac. Bone & Bone2 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. KDF Eng's.
Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.
Career Officer
# 67
12-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
My only question is... why must EVERY piece of work be original and imaginative?

Now I'm not saying it all has to be the same, but saying it's been done before is no reason to dislike it. Especially before we've even seen the finished film...
They don't - I just think it helps if the content of the movie isn't so glaringly similar to a healthy number of recent movies.

Let's face it, The Dark Knight Rises, the Avengers, the more recent Spiderman movie, Prometheus - this new Trek movie doesn't appear to contain anything that the aforementioned, recent, movies don't contain and the plot is largely VERY similar to some of the aforementioned too.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Starfleet Veteran
# 68
12-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedcore View Post
The more important question is, who is the Blonde? The more I look at her, the more I think it's Elizabeth Dehner. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Dehner but doesn't she die in JJ's Where No Man Has Gone Before? I still think this guy moves like an augment though.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/187h...g/original.jpg
Nurse chapel....
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Empire Veteran
# 69
12-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
They don't - I just think it helps if the content of the movie isn't so glaringly similar to a healthy number of recent movies.

Let's face it, The Dark Knight Rises, the Avengers, the more recent Spiderman movie, Prometheus - this new Trek movie doesn't appear to contain anything that the aforementioned, recent, movies don't contain and the plot is largely VERY similar to some of the aforementioned too.
Well, 'doesn't appear' is still a bit early to claim... this is just a teaser trailer (they said another trailer will be released next week, and 9 mins of the film will be in the Imax releases of The Hobbit).

And I respect that opinion. Personally, I could care less if something has been done before in another film; I prefer to just enjoy what happens onscreen, more-or-less
Was named Trek17, but still an author: www.enlightenmentoblivion.com.
Captain
# 70
12-06-2012, 08:31 AM
WHO'S BEEN HACKING MY BRAIN!?!?!? The whole "Enterprise landing in a large body of water" was something I created for a fanfiction that I wrote five years ago! Where's my tinfoil hat? Someones been stealing my brainwaves again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivenneanthony View Post
Get your facts straight about Star Trek. It was not a money making scheme. It was one person vision / idea.

CBS turned it into a making making scheme during the original movies.
-vivenneanthony 2014