Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,068
# 71
12-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
Well, 'doesn't appear' is still a bit early to claim... this is just a teaser trailer (they said another trailer will be released next week, and 9 mins of the film will be in the Imax releases of The Hobbit).

And I respect that opinion. Personally, I could care less if something has been done before in another film; I prefer to just enjoy what happens onscreen, more-or-less
As do I - but I feel that the trick is, when basically recycling plot elements from other movies, to try and do it better.

I'm not convined that JJ and his lens-flare obsession will achieve that.

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,633
# 72
12-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
As do I - but I feel that the trick is, when basically recycling plot elements from other movies, to try and do it better.

I'm not convined that JJ and his lens-flare obsession will achieve that.
Well, here's hoping

Though I read somewhere that some portion of the movie lens-flares weren't added in; they were naturally caught. It's not clear if that portion was little, half, all, or what though
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,094
# 73
12-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasuscic View Post
What is so great about Khan? Really? Khan was probably the best villain Kirk ever faced. Space Seed is a great TOS episode and ST2 The Wrath of Khan is thought of as probably the best Star Trek film ever made. Judging by the physical acts of the villain in the trailer and his "I have returned" quote, I'm leaning toward this being Khan. And this being Abrahms ST, who's to say some space freighter didn't awaken Khan in this timeline? I mean Abrahms already killed George Kirk, destroyed Vulcan and brought "our Spock" to his timeline.
BAH ,.,,,, JJ is a Fed-lover.

Seriously ... My take is this.

Klingons find Khan's ship floating in space.

They wake him up and JJ makes Klingons look like stooges as Khan kicks butt, takes names and then heads to Earth.

Altered timeline means Enterprise might not have found or ever find Botany Bay.

A HUGE thank you to Cryptic for the Mogh-class battle cruiser!
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 20
# 74
12-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposeableh3r0 View Post
So love will stop the Zombie Apocalypse .........
Well, definitely a better love story than Twilight

BUT BACK TO THE DISCUSSION, I'd like to weigh in:

1) The argument "Real Star Trek fans don't like JJVerse" has just become asinine at this point. I've been a fan of Star Trek as far back as I can remember (over 30 years), & while I don't much care for the Star Wars feel to the new movies, I'm not going to knock others for liking it. I mean honestly, I know a fellow Trekker who says "Spock is NOT Star Trek's GOAT" (no emote can describe the look of shock on my face ... ), but I know he loves the franchise & the new movie.

2) I have to throw my hat in with the "It's Gary Mitchell" folks on this one. Even with the additional footage in the Japanese teaser, I'm convinced it's not Khan, but Gary Mitchell. And, in truth, it makes a little more sense considering the prequel books & what I remember from the TOS episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before." To be honest, I'm hoping it is because I've always felt the Gary Mitchell character had a great deal of potential. I think between the prequel books & this movie, the character will finally show why he's arguably one of the biggest threats in the franchise. I'd even argue Mitchell could have been Kirk's greatest enemy, overshadowing Khan (yeah, I said it ).
"If your conscience is bothering you, you should sooth it with the knowledge that you may have just saved the ENTIRE Alpha Quadrant. And all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal, & the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don't know about you, but I call that a bargain." - Elim Garak
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,100
# 75
12-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
As previously stated by boglejam73, you seem to be overshooting a little bit there.

That aside, I get that whole vision thing, I really do... but to take it to this kind of extreme that you don't accept any kind of changes (like the existance of JJ's Trek), seems to be going against the very spirit you wish to represent I understood this wouldn't be like the original ST series, and I embraced all the changes... which is more than most ST fans did, claiming to represent ST's vision while at the same time doing the exact opposite of what they're representing: shunning it purely because it was different.

Scenario: we reach the 24th century with all the aforementioned issues a distant historical memory. Now a guy joins the crew and for some reason he is racist. Should the crew accept him because his views are different? Should they then allow racism to persist and be an alternative viewpoint within the modern 24th century federation?

There is a difference between accepting differences within the scenario and accepting a different scenario.

Last edited by mattjohnsonva; 12-06-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,633
# 76
12-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Scenario: we reach the 24th century with all the aforementioned issues a distant historical memory. Now a guy joins the crew and for some reason he is racist. Should the crew accept him because his views are different? Should they then allow racism to persist and be an alternative viewpoint within the modern 24th century federation?

There is a difference between accepting differences within the scenario and accepting a different scenario.
Granted; you have me there.

But unlike most fans, I actually tried to accept this new ST. And while in my case, I loved the film (and will probably love Into Darkness), many others didn't give it the chance it deserved... most saw it, and had a knee-jerk reaction of "It's different from Prime Trek = blasphemy", or something of that nature. No actual thinking or effort on their part

Of course, that's not everyone's opinion, but it did seem to comprise the most vocal.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,201
# 77
12-06-2012, 09:09 AM
I see the tradition of destroying Enterprise almost every movie is still alive.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,100
# 78
12-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
Granted; you have me there.

But unlike most fans, I actually tried to accept this new ST. And while in my case, I loved the film (and will probably love Into Darkness), many others didn't give it the chance it deserved... most saw it, and had a knee-jerk reaction of "It's different from Prime Trek = blasphemy", or something of that nature. No actual thinking or effort on their part

Of course, that's not everyone's opinion, but it did seem to comprise the most vocal.
I have the film, I bought it on Blu-ray, it is a terrific film and I enjoy watching it. I just refuse to accept that it's anything to do with my Star Trek, it's a personal choice and not everyone will agree. I hope that somehow we can find a way to revert back to the timeline we know and love. Perhaps the plot for a future movie which will lead on to the next series? Somehow I doubt we'll be that lucky.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 509
# 79
12-06-2012, 09:13 AM
TBH it looks like any other action movie made these days. Lot's of explosions, great special effects, screaming, destruction... and almost no story at all.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,633
# 80
12-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
I have the film, I bought it on Blu-ray, it is a terrific film and I enjoy watching it. I just refuse to accept that it's anything to do with my Star Trek, it's a personal choice and not everyone will agree. I hope that somehow we can find a way to revert back to the timeline we know and love. Perhaps the plot for a future movie which will lead on to the next series? Somehow I doubt we'll be that lucky.
Well, I've posted a similiar opinion about that on these posts It has Star Trek's name, but if you don't like it, it's not part of the Trek you love. And if the opposite, then it is part of ST; it's just an alternate universe of it.

But the way some people talk, they want to kill this movie series simply because it exists... thinking that all ST has to be the old version. Which is illogical really; should we kill everything that anyone hates that exists? No

I just hate that people didn't give the movie a proper chance, and let their [insert whatever here] get in the way of that.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:56 AM.