Career Officer
# 81
12-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
I have the film, I bought it on Blu-ray, it is a terrific film and I enjoy watching it. I just refuse to accept that it's anything to do with my Star Trek, it's a personal choice and not everyone will agree. I hope that somehow we can find a way to revert back to the timeline we know and love. Perhaps the plot for a future movie which will lead on to the next series? Somehow I doubt we'll be that lucky.
Continuing the Prime timeline is a hope, I believe, every ST fan has. But I wish to pose a couple of questions to you:
1) Do you accept the Mirror Universe timeline? Why or why not?
2) Given the understanding surrounding JJVerse as simply another alternate universe, is it the idea of that timeline you don't accept, so simply how JJ Abrams does things (his vision)?
"If your conscience is bothering you, you should sooth it with the knowledge that you may have just saved the ENTIRE Alpha Quadrant. And all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal, & the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don't know about you, but I call that a bargain." - Elim Garak
Republic Veteran
# 82
12-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasuscic View Post
How is he dumbing down the franchise? If I recall, the Star Trek movie franchise crapped the bed with Nemesis so badly that they didn't bother making another TNG or even bother with DS9 movies. Paramount was so disgusted that it almost sold the movie rights. Star Trek needed a shot in the arm. I think Abrahms did fans a favor my making his Star Trek an alternate timeline(ala Fringe) and making is non-trek movie goers would like it, vs corrupting our original beloved timeline and making fanboys wet themselves in anger. My brother-in-law in not an original Star Trek watcher, but he like Abramms movie. And if this keeps the Trek franchise going, I'm good with it.
Nemisis was 10x better as a star trek movie then jj's movies ever will be as long as he continues to pull his themes from what is popular now... Instead trying something different. I mean I like superhero movies but... The jj first star trek film lacked depth, the villain was so forgettable, if you say read the comic, I'll ask you did I have to read the comic or even watch the episode of space seed to really get khan's character no I didn't. The plot and conflict that the villain pulled from was so rushed and thoughtless. I wonder who the writers were becuase honestly they could have done better. The dialog and actors were very decent especially Kirk Spock and Bones.

It makes me wonder what he decided to change now and how can that overly bent and crazy bladed thing be a Bat'leth the balance on that blade would be ridiculous to use in actual combat. Special effects should always come after to making a good plot and conflict. There are plenty of specular action movies out there why make another in a already over saturated market.. It would be like if Electronic arts decided to make command and conquer or the next mass effect a modern day or near modern day shooter... Wait I don't want to give them ideas...

But I guess classic scifi themes and ideas is just not making enough niche money anymore which is a shame, instead we get themes from pop action movies... Has Science fiction been striped of the idea of audience exploring and thinking about the ideas the writer or director places forward? example: In nemesis Picard explored as well as the audience explores the idea would Picard be the same if he was in Shinzon shoes?

While you could say jj film had that in the form of is kirk different becuase his father wasn't there you'd be partly right, but it isn't a big focus of the movie and is presented as very minor part of the film. Becuase in the end it doesn't matter kirk will be kirk and save the day by kicking nero's butt whats so enthralling and thinking as that...
Starfleet Veteran
# 83
12-06-2012, 09:38 AM
My impressions from the trailer and other clues dropped recently.
1. Villian - Garth of Izar. Why, from the mention of chess from recent statement from JJ's people and Khan and Gary Mitchell seem to obvious.

2. Blond - leaning towards Christine Chapel, but acknowledge that it could be Elizabeth Dehner.

3. Underwater Enterprise - I don't see a problem with this. Between Structural Intergrity Fields and Inertial Dampners, the ship should get through that ok. As for being able to move out of the water under it's own power, that shouldn't an issue either between Thrusters and Impulse drive. Plus, if they can do it with the Space Battleship Yamato, it can be done elsewhere
Survivor of Romulus
# 84
12-06-2012, 09:55 AM
I think as a form of revenge we should send a time traveller back to the start of the starwars saga and kill Princess leia
Turn Luke into a gunfighter
remove ALL the light sabers

and all references to the force
Starfleet Veteran
# 85
12-06-2012, 10:18 AM
I thought it looked great, myself. I definitely see it as Gary Mitchell, a "one man weapon of mass destruction" doesn't really fit the Khan mold.

As for the blonde, I was thinking Liz Dehner, but on a youtube discussion, someone countered that it could be Janice Rand. The blue uniform would seem to me to scream medical/science, and Rand was definitely ops, but you never know.

As far as owing anything to Roddenberry. He's like Lucas, as far as I'm concerned. He had a great vision, lead it through an exceptional first run, and then when TNG started up, was more of an impediment than an inspiration.

No character development? No interpersonal conflict?? The "great enemy" were basically capitalists run amok???

Sorry, either the cancer was screwing his brain up or he was a seriously senile hippy at the end.
Captain
# 86
12-06-2012, 10:18 AM
You know guys I remember these same arguements with 2 older movies:

Star Trek the Motion Picture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5vK8hCVrFg

and

Star Reek the Wrath of Khan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJTi7KJPx_E

The 1st, although in my book still good, was said to be too long and drawn out boring. It made for a great reunion movie, but that was about it. But we did get the birth of the new Klingon look from that movie.

Not the 2nd turn into a fast reboot from what was done in the motion picture. Everything was changed outside of the ship. Plus a ton more action was added to help the story along. Star Trek needed a bad guy at the time, and we Got Khan.

I will still give JJ a break with his version of Star Trek, after all whatelse do we have in that universe. Plus the fact I loved his 1st movie, and I feel he should keep going with his version.

Does that mean I don't want to see anymore Prime universe versions? Yeck no, but I will take my Trek were I can get it.
Captain
# 87
12-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Not sure whether I like it or hate it. It tells us almost nothing about the movie, besides the fact that somebody is out for revenge (again). Then again, it is a teaser.

Anyone know when the theatrical trailer comes out?
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Survivor of Romulus
# 88
12-06-2012, 10:22 AM
i wish jj would crapping all my trek
Ensign
# 89 Hmmm...
12-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Looks good but doesn't all at the same time. I'm so confused
SET PHASER'S TO FABULOUS!!
Captain
# 90
12-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post

The reason TNG is so popular and why many of the other series are so revered is because of the interpersonal relationships between the crew. We watch them triumph over their own personal difficulties and at the same time watch them reach out the hand of friendship on their journey through the stars. We see them try to avoid conflict at all costs save their own protection and in defense of the weak. We see alien species working together side by side, not a hint of racial prejudice, to explore and learn and occasionally to defend the ideals of a united federation of like minded peoples from across the Galaxy. This is what Star Trek is to me, it's almost a holy reference guide to what we as a species can achieve both technologically and sociologically. This is Star Trek, this is the name given to this set of ideals and to one man's vision.
You forget that Star Trek fans hated TNG and didnt warm up to it until season 2.