Starfleet Veteran
Last year to start the race you had to speak to the race announcer but you could only talk to him 1 at a time and with a delay. It meant starting the race was awkward as waiting for your turn was difficult with some impatient people rushing in and jumping the queue since there was nothing to stop them.

Is it different this year? If not, why not, as people don't clip into each other so there is no reason for a delay? If you still want a delay then how about we join a proper queue and are teleported to the start of the track when its our turn? That way everyone would join the race in a fair manner with no queue jumpers.
Empire Veteran
# 2
12-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psymantis View Post
Last year to start the race you had to speak to the race announcer but you could only talk to him 1 at a time and with a delay. It meant starting the race was awkward as waiting for your turn was difficult with some impatient people rushing in and jumping the queue since there was nothing to stop them.

Is it different this year? If not, why not, as people don't clip into each other so there is no reason for a delay? If you still want a delay then how about we join a proper queue and are teleported to the start of the track when its our turn? That way everyone would join the race in a fair manner with no queue jumpers.
Oh yeah, I remember that.
It was Race #1, spam F to win entrance into the race.

New Romulus uses a 50 person zone, instead of the standard 75. Perhaps if that were applied to WW, it would help stem the flow of line jumpers.
Just imagine the Snowman war if half the zone population did it in a 75perp zone. A 50 cap sounds better.
Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
Career Officer
# 3
12-06-2012, 11:17 AM
This is the reason I have yet to boot my client, I figured everyone would be wanting to get their daily out of the way.

Of course, moving to a less populated instance always helped last year, so it may work again this year.
InGame - @Darth_Tauri
Joined - 9/2011
"You Best Make Peace With Your Dear & Fluffy Lord" - Malcolm Reynolds
Career Officer
# 4
12-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Hopefully they remembered that waiting line and thought of a new way. Like increasting the number of participants or adding a second track.
Career Officer
# 5
12-06-2012, 11:31 AM
No - if anything it seems worse - the popup never appears at all for me - admittedly I've got a slower connection now than I had last year but not so slow that the game lags at all.

Since it's a free-for-all to get in, the players with the faster connections get priority
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Rihannsu
# 6
12-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Try to zone hope to a less crowded instance.

its always mega busy the first day. it will settle down soon enough

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 7
12-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
Try to zone hope to a less crowded instance.

its always mega busy the first day. it will settle down soon enough
Actually, the zone I was in was pretty empty - at most there was only 3 other players around the Breen race official - it's not that I can't click the popup in time - the popup never even appears
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
12-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Sounds like Lego universe online (as played by my 8 year old Godson last christmas) 2 hours to start a race
Cryptic Studios Team
# 9
12-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Unfortunately, we don't have an easy solution to this issue without sending everyone to a private instance to run the race (which ruins the social aspects of the map). But, we are hearing your feedback, and sharing your frustrations.

We'd hoped that adding the little "queue area" would encourage players to line up and wait their turns. We may end up enforcing that by disallowing interaction with the Race Official unless you're standing in line.... or something. I dunno exactly what, but we're aware of the issue, and are trying to brainstorm ways to improve the functionality.

Until we can potentially put in some sort of enforced fix, we'd like to request that players just play nice. Get in line, wait your turn. It's only like a 10-15sec wait per person in front of you.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Empire Veteran
# 10
12-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Unfortunately, we don't have an easy solution to this issue without sending everyone to a private instance to run the race (which ruins the social aspects of the map). But, we are hearing your feedback, and sharing your frustrations.

We'd hoped that adding the little "queue area" would encourage players to line up and wait their turns. We may end up enforcing that by disallowing interaction with the Race Official unless you're standing in line.... or something. I dunno exactly what, but we're aware of the issue, and are trying to brainstorm ways to improve the functionality.

Until we can potentially put in some sort of enforced fix, we'd like to request that players just play nice. Get in line, wait your turn. It's only like a 10-15sec wait per person in front of you.
Okey dockey then.
This was a complaint last year also... 1 year... to brainstorm.
BTW: didn't you start working at Cryptic about a year ago?
Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...