Career Officer
# 11
12-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Unfortunately, we don't have an easy solution to this issue without sending everyone to a private instance to run the race (which ruins the social aspects of the map). But, we are hearing your feedback, and sharing your frustrations.

We'd hoped that adding the little "queue area" would encourage players to line up and wait their turns. We may end up enforcing that by disallowing interaction with the Race Official unless you're standing in line.... or something. I dunno exactly what, but we're aware of the issue, and are trying to brainstorm ways to improve the functionality.

Until we can potentially put in some sort of enforced fix, we'd like to request that players just play nice. Get in line, wait your turn. It's only like a 10-15sec wait per person in front of you.
Thanks for continuing to look into this Borticus - on a happier note I've come first place in the 'Fast and the Flurrious' twice now so I've got lots of Winter Epohh tags (and whoever designed those is sick - the one with the ribbons is quite possibly the cutest thing I've ever seen )
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Rihannsu
# 12
12-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Easy work-around: Change to an "empty" instance. Once I figured out to do this last year, I *NEVER* had problems starting a race again. Sometimes I would have to try 2-3 instance jumps to find a clear Race Official, but totally worth it.

Knowledge is power.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.
Rihannsu
# 13
12-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Until we can potentially put in some sort of enforced fix, we'd like to request that players just play nice. Get in line, wait your turn. It's only like a 10-15sec wait per person in front of you.

As greedy and selfish as a lot of people are on this game, I had to chuckle.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samir Bennal, Captain of the Onyxhammer
Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
Career Officer
# 14
12-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Unfortunately, we don't have an easy solution to this issue without sending everyone to a private instance to run the race (which ruins the social aspects of the map). But, we are hearing your feedback, and sharing your frustrations.

We'd hoped that adding the little "queue area" would encourage players to line up and wait their turns. We may end up enforcing that by disallowing interaction with the Race Official unless you're standing in line.... or something. I dunno exactly what, but we're aware of the issue, and are trying to brainstorm ways to improve the functionality.

All i can say this new race is not fun at all.

1) Event notifications are hidden in the mission page, so you have a high chance of missing it, if you are busy socializing.

2) You do not get rewards for partcipating (I ran the race a few times, didn't get a single thing).

3) Time gating events, really not for casual players who has a few hours of playtime.

4) Only way to get these Winter Event store items is either a snowball fight every 30 min or digging in the snow? (Again not for casual players, not to mention goldfarmers making bots to farm these items).
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!

Last edited by azurianstar; 12-06-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 15
12-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
1) Event notifications are hidden in the mission page, so you have a high chance of missing it, if you are busy socializing.
They also pop into your Open Mission tracking window (I think also called the PvP Mission window when you use F12 to reposition them)

Quote:
2) You do not get rewards for partcipating (I ran the race a few times, didn't get a single thing).
This is a bug we're tracking down. It seems to be related to people leaving the race area before the 3rd place flag is claimed.

Quote:
3) Time gating events, really not for casual players who has a few hours of playtime.
The Snowball Fight runs every 30 minutes.

The Competitive Race runs 4 times per hour, at 15-past, 22-past, 45-past, and 52-past the hour.

The Daily Race can be ran at any time of day.

I'd hardly call that "time gated."
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Commander
# 16
12-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhavelock View Post
Easy work-around: Change to an "empty" instance. Once I figured out to do this last year, I *NEVER* had problems starting a race again. Sometimes I would have to try 2-3 instance jumps to find a clear Race Official, but totally worth it.

Knowledge is power.

Yup, change to an empty or low populated instance. Easy fix......The more you know
Captain
# 17
12-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Quote:

why not actually make a que system? like you can talk to him at any time but you given a number in "line". if you leave the map you lose your place, if you talk to him again you replace your number..

how about something like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Career Officer
# 18
12-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Quote:
This is a bug we're tracking down. It seems to be related to people leaving the race area before the 3rd place flag is claimed.
Good that the error was quickly detected.

Quote:
The Snowball Fight runs every 30 minutes.

The Competitive Race runs 4 times per hour, at 15-past, 22-past, 45-past, and 52-past the hour.

The Daily Race can be ran at any time of day.

I'd hardly call that "time gated."

Time gated to certain times of the Hour. So if you wanted the first quarter PvP Race, or the Snow War at the top of the hour, you have to wait 30 minutes for the next event, correct?

Not to mention the only ways to get these store items is either Snow Wars or putting your toon on Auto pilot and constantly dig in the snow. (Goldfarmers are loving this, btw).

Quote:
They also pop into your Open Mission tracking window (I think also called the PvP Mission window when you use F12 to reposition them)

Most people have no idea when the event is or if it's starting up.

Instead of a RED Alert, maybe make a BLUE Alert?
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!
Commander
# 19
12-06-2012, 04:37 PM
This is the first time I've run this event, and I have no clue how to run it. I've given up on it already.

I spent my time in-game just spamming F for snowball digging.

There needs to be a tutorial in-game for this. The dialogue doesn't quite cut it.

A proud member of Sinfully Sexy. Join us.
Career Officer
# 20
12-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdoxy View Post
Yup, change to an empty or low populated instance. Easy fix......The more you know
What is an "empty instance"? When I was playing earlier, they was more than 99 instances and they were all max capacity.