Lt. Commander
# 1 Stacking consoles?
12-06-2012, 10:16 AM
This question popped up months ago.

I want to know the current situation. Do all console effects stack with number of same consoles types? I believe they stack according to some saturation curve. But actually I am not perfectly certain if they stack at all. When you open your ship inventory window, there are some stats. But they do not seem to change no matter how I equip the ship.
Captain
# 2
12-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Consoles stack, regardless if they are the same type or different types that increase the same skill/stats.

However, with the exceptions of Tactical consoles, they due produce diminishing returns the more you slot the same console.

That is to say, if a Field Generator gives you 18%, adding another Field Generator will not give you another 18%. I believe it's about 23%? Something around what the original Field Generator was when you couldn't stack it and it gave around the same amount.

Tactical consoles do not have any diminishing returns, but only buff the base amount of damage off of your weapons. So, it appears to be a diminishing return when you start stacking them. But, if you look at the numbers, the increase is linear, in that it is giving you the same amount of damage increase with each console you put on.

For instance, my MK XII purple energy console gives me a boost of approximately 90 DPS with each console I equip.

Unique consoles, on the other hand, cannot be stacked.
Career Officer
# 3
12-06-2012, 12:27 PM
The only consoles or buffs in game that have diminishing returns are related to defense/damage resistance. If they didn't have diminishing returns, it would be possible to make yourself immune, thus God mode.

See here: http://www.stowiki.org/Damage_resistance
1hr of work @NYS Min Wage 7.25 = 725 Zen
725 x 102 (or current exchange rate) DL = 73950 DL <- can you earn that per hour in game?

Captain
# 4
12-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Science consoles are probably the only consoles that stack at a flat rate.

Tactical Consoles suffer a loss of about 12% per console (that is 1-(0.12n-1), where n is the number of consoles), and Engineering Consoles, more specifically defensive consoles just have an odd way of tracking damage reduction (Shimmerless can explain this to you, and Momaw too I believe).
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Republic Veteran
# 5
12-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong1fu1panda View Post
When you open your ship inventory window, there are some stats. But they do not seem to change no matter how I equip the ship.
Ensure you are onboard your ship, and travelling at impulse when you view these stats. From ground you will simply see the base stats that don't take into account skill points or equipment.
Captain
# 6
12-07-2012, 06:11 AM
ALL consoles, with the sole exception of armor consoles, stack in an additive manner. Meaning if the first console adds 100 damage to a weapon shot, so will the second, third, fourth, and fifth. Likewise if the first console adds 500 shield per facing, so will the second, third, and so on.

Armor consoles also function in this way in relation to EHP for the most part until the DR kicks in but yeah they have a layer of complexity with their math. And in all honesty it is an overly complex system that is not required at all. The standard simple armor formula of:

Resist
---------
100+Resist

Works much better as it does scale EHP in a linear fashion without resorting to silly caps or diminishing returns but that is just my opinion. I swear the math in STO is complex for the sake of being complex sometimes.

Last edited by bareel; 12-07-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Captain
# 7
12-07-2012, 06:21 AM
They should really right on the console details which consoles dont stack, it will make life alot less complicated.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
12-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Science consoles are probably the only consoles that stack at a flat rate.

Tactical Consoles suffer a loss of about 12% per console (that is 1-(0.12n-1), where n is the number of consoles), and Engineering Consoles, more specifically defensive consoles just have an odd way of tracking damage reduction (Shimmerless can explain this to you, and Momaw too I believe).
I just plotted damage numbers using my Mk XII AP DHC in tactical space with zero thru four antiproton mag regulators Mk XI (28.1% bonus damage per console). Here are the results:

0 AP mag regulator = 990.1 DPS
1 AP mag regulator = 1071.8 DPS, gain +81.7 DPS
2 AP mag regulator = 1153.2 DPS, gain +81.4 DPS
3 AP mag regulator = 1234.8 DPS, gain +81.6 DPS
4 AP mag regulator = 1316.3 DPS, gain +81.5 DPS

There are slight variances in DPS gain due to round-off truncations, but damage gains are otherwise constant. Based on this information, there are no visible diminishing returns with tactical consoles, thereby debunking the quoted post above saying otherwise.
Captain
# 9
12-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shar487a View Post
I just plotted damage numbers using my Mk XII AP DHC in tactical space with zero thru four antiproton mag regulators Mk XI (28.1% bonus damage per console). Here are the results:

0 AP mag regulator = 990.1 DPS
1 AP mag regulator = 1071.8 DPS, gain +81.7 DPS
2 AP mag regulator = 1153.2 DPS, gain +81.4 DPS
3 AP mag regulator = 1234.8 DPS, gain +81.6 DPS
4 AP mag regulator = 1316.3 DPS, gain +81.5 DPS

There are slight variances in DPS gain due to round-off truncations, but damage gains are otherwise constant. Based on this information, there are no visible diminishing returns with tactical consoles, thereby debunking the quoted post above saying otherwise.
Weird. I guess either I was bugged or they fixed it. But I will ask this: What range were you from your target, what was your target, and what was it's status (aka shields etc), or was this just based off of the DPS shown on the weapons, or was this based on actual hits on your target?
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 10
12-07-2012, 02:43 PM
The same flat bonus applied to a total that increases with every step is a lesser percentage of increas every time.