Empire Veteran
# 21
12-07-2012, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedman70 View Post
How come these supposed "organ backups" don't come into play, if they were shot through the heart, the secondary heart should come online, unless an organ was damaged they didn't have a backup for, or bleeding, etc. I'm guessing they took a lot of abuse and damage evolving from the crustacean form we see in Genesis to what they are now, and thus developed those backups, but what good are they if they don't work when you need them to?
It saved Worfs life in the episode Ethics when his system spontaneously came back online after he died.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Captain
# 22
12-07-2012, 06:16 AM
As with everything else in the Trek-verse, plot armor (or lack thereof) trumps all.
Rihannsu
# 23
12-07-2012, 11:34 AM
I was never that happy with the way klingons got portrayed in star trek when it came to fighting.

they are all meant to be this powerful warrior race and they are all highly trained in hand to hand combat and yet they do get their butts kicked a lot.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Commander
# 24
12-07-2012, 01:07 PM
You people make me go to Memory Alpha, shame on you.

----------------------------
Due to his genetic enhancements Julian, in many ways, possessed a superior physiology to other Humans. His intellect was the most obvious example of this, as he was able to perform complex computations faster than a computer and his recall was almost absolute. This also made him one of a few humans who could play Tongo on a Ferengi level, and go to the point that he could beat several experienced Ferengi after a few games. (DS9: "A Time to Stand", "Rocks and Shoals", "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges", "Extreme Measures", "Change of Heart")

Physically he was also enhanced, although his physical abilities are mostly less remarkable. His hand-eye coordination is greatly enhanced to the point where he can hit the smallest part of a dart board with ease at over eight feet (DS9: "Doctor Bashir, I Presume", "Extreme Measures"), his hearing is also enhanced beyond that of a normal human (DS9: "Statistical Probabilities"), and his reflexes are closer to a Vulcan. (DS9: "Take Me Out to the Holosuite")

He also has limited control of his vital signs, although he loses control if significantly weakened. (DS9: "Extreme Measures")

[Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
Captain
# 25
12-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedman70 View Post
I mean in any Trek series. They only seemed to act tough to me. I mean, how many times did we see Worf get thrown around in TNG (Michael Dorn actually complained that he was being portrayed as a wimp!)

Feats of Strength? Roga Danar physically overcame Worf, so did Riker in an episode

Resilent- with multiple organ backups? Usually they would be killed like anyone else, like in ST6, way of the warrior etc. They never seemed that impressive to me
Danar was genetically enhanced, so would have had comparable, if not greater strength to a Klingon...
Riker would have had combat training which would have allowed him to overcome Worf's greater strength (like any trained martial artist can overcome a larger, stronger opponent)
Vulcans were stronger than Klingons (Note how easily Spock flung the Klingon on Genesis, when his age would've been late teens/early twenties...

Personally, I think Klingons were punked by plot requirements, especially in The Way of the Warrior, although O'Brien did get his ass handed to him by a Klingon...

Now, I wouldn't go up to a Klingon in a bar and tell him that I'd banged his sister like a drum, but equally, if one was to get up in my face, I wouldn't back down and run away from them...

Last edited by marcusdkane; 12-07-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 26
12-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Now, I wouldn't go up to a Klingon in a bar and tell him that I'd banged his sister like a drum, but equally, if one was to get up in my face, I wouldn't back down and run away from them...
Oddly that might make him like you
"AH my new Brother in law come let us drink bloodwine and mock the feeble romulan at the juke box"
Captain
# 27
12-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Oddly that might make him like you
"AH my new Brother in law come let us drink bloodwine and mock the feeble romulan at the juke box"

I think the Klingon would know that I was dishonoring his sister, not joining his house
Survivor of Romulus
# 28
12-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Depends on the klingon
Commander
# 29
12-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Worf is tough. That's why they show the Bad Guy of the Week throwing him around, instead of (or only after) random humans - to establish that the Bad Guy is tougher still.

Seriously, hasn't anyone here been to TV Tropes?
Rihannsu
# 30
12-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Well.... How often did Spock and his "superior" Vulcan physiology get 'punked'?

He got driven insane when he looked at the Medusan ambassador, and 'Nancy Crater' smacked him around like a rag doll. I'm sure there was more....

Part of why Worf got beat up was that he was tough enough to take it, unlike some of his team mates.

IRL being a warrior means knowing that somewhere out there is someone who can beat you.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.