Lt. Commander
# 1 Maximum warp.
11-14-2010, 03:22 PM
I was in the shower this morning when a fantastic new idea dawned on me. I was reminded by the TNG episode "The Chase" where Picard made reference to frequent use of high warp speeds having turned the engines into piles of scrap metal.

Ships in STO shouldn't be travelling at warp 9.997 all the time. In the tv shows, a warp speed like this was always described as maximum safe speed, not cruising speed, which was usually anywhere from warp 5 to warp 8. So this is my idea. Speed in sector space at Vice Admiral level should be the same, but be called warp 8. This is the maximum that a ship should be able to sustain permanently.

However, ordering "maximum warp" in emergencies should be allowable. This ability would make one's ship travel at slipstream speed (I personally think slipstream should be replaced by this idea, or make slipstream twice as fast as it is now) but the actual speed would register as warp 9.997.

Now a captain could use maximum warp all the time if they wanted to, but the trick would be that the longer you travel at max warp, the more likely your engines will break down(think of the Excelsior's transwarp breakdown). If your engines break down, they could have a 1 minute repair time followed by max warp being disabled on your ship until you repair at a starbase, or you use a minor component to repair the overtaxed engines.

The most important thing to remember about this idea is that you would still travel just as fast through sector space at cruising speed as you do now, only the velocity readout would appear as warp 7 or 8 instead of 9.97. Maximum warp wouldn't take anything away from the game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-14-2010, 03:27 PM
I think starfleet ships now (40 years later) have the capabilities to cruise at high warp. Otherwise the developers would've limited the speeds to lower warp speeds. Slipstreamx2 is way way way too fast, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks so.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-14-2010, 03:30 PM
well in the shows it also takes hours/days or weeks to get from place to place, and we can't have that
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-14-2010, 03:32 PM
That's true - I always thought travel was way to easy in this game. It should take a longer time to get places as in the shows. I think it's fast enough as-is. Especially with slip and trans.
Lieutenant
# 5
03-03-2013, 02:35 PM
i also thought that travelling at high warp was tearing space apart, and as such, warp speed was limited at around warp 5 unless in an emergency..?

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Forc...ature_(episode)

(oh yeah, im dragging up a 3 (edited) year old thread...)

Last edited by altai8008; 03-03-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Captain
# 6
03-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by altai8008 View Post
i also thought that travelling at high warp was tearing space apart, and as such, warp speed was limited at around warp 5 unless in an emergency.?

(yeah, im dragging up a 6 year old thread...)
You should have just made a new thread. Necroing a 3-year-old thread is sure to get it locked.
Career Officer
# 7
03-03-2013, 02:44 PM
DIE, ZOMBIE THREAD DIE!

Its against forum rules to reanimate the dead.

To answer the question, that was already resolved by the time of ST: Voyager

The manuals state that the folding nacelle design prevented the damage to subspace.

We assume that later starships found a way to resolve this issue without the folding wing nacelles.

I really wouldnt mind having an option in the starship editor to make some other types of starships have folding pylons.

6 years? wow, is it 2016 already and the 6th anniversary of STO? How time flies.
Thowchum
Legendary Starfleet Captain
Fleet Leader, The Abductors
STO Forum Member since December 2010
Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
Lieutenant
# 8
03-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
You should have just made a new thread. Necroing a 3-year-old thread is sure to get it locked.
seemed more apprpriate to use an existing thread than clutter the place up with a new one. but you may be right. wasnt aware i was breaking any rules! forgive me mighty mods.
Captain
# 9
03-03-2013, 02:51 PM
*Sniff* *Sniff* Something smell dead in here?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Lieutenant
# 10
03-03-2013, 03:01 PM
fine. question answered, pride hurt, close thread.

(although i still dont think its something thats been fully addressed, but its not exactly the only bit of ST lore thats a little..inconsistent)