Career Officer
# 111
11-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
I trust Dan Stahl when he says that the exchange is insignificant compared to regular c-store purchases, and I guess that's why they are ready to sacrifice such a little income to keep people actually playing the game on the long term to make them willing to buy new ships, lockbox stuff - something you'll ignore if you only play 20 minutes a day.
I don't trust people who deceive, the STF dilithium fiasco really shows how bad they dropped the ball on this season.

Also if there intention was to get more people playing, they will be failing because the content is all grind orientated people are working, but not really playing or letting their hair-down in game. This is an entertainment product, you want people to play more making it more entertaining NOT forcing people to log on every day just so they can get to end game in 2 months instead of 6 is not really winning formula for customer retention, growth or happiness.
Career Officer
# 112
11-26-2012, 12:57 PM
the only "Fiasco" was them underestimating how lazy there player base is
Career Officer
# 113
11-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
I think you're completely overestimating the issue. People won't act stupidly, they often do but when money is involved everyone suddenly gets a brain. Paying customers won't be able to buy off every single item the game has to offer, they will have to play it too, I guess that's a part of the "evil plan". After all if you want them to stay they should be committed to the game.

Money will remain a shortcut but you won't be able to buy everything, they will also have to play the game regularly to get some dilithium for free. If the market reaches some people's limit then be it, they won't buy 200k worth of dil to completely equip their ship right now, they might buy some stuff and play for the rest.

There's no "robin hood" logic, I really think the current design is made to force people to play the game instead of just buying everything. It's very similar to the former STF reward drops, and I guess it's designed so that people actually play the game instead of buying zen, be happy one day with their new set and then get bored, see no difference because they're still unable to play a ship even with top endgame fear, and quit because they have nothing to do.

The dilithium market crashing is ultimately a positive change for the game, it means everyone is busy and that the money shortcuts aren't just "endgame gear in the cash store", which is the worst possible design ever. Sure, there are time gates, there are tiers, but requirements are so low that it's a complete joke and just a matter of time, so, ultimately, dilithium gathering is supposed to be what keeps us busy.

Those who were dil exchange addicts will complain but the vast majority of the server won't care, they'll keep progressing and buy minor shortcuts and will understand that their best interest is playing the game instead of using the credit card.

I trust Dan Stahl when he says that the exchange is insignificant compared to regular c-store purchases, and I guess that's why they are ready to sacrifice such a little income to keep people actually playing the game on the long term to make them willing to buy new ships, lockbox stuff - something you'll ignore if you only play 20 minutes a day.
I don't think anything you said disagrees with anything I said.

The big difference being that whether the dilithium market rebounds when people give up on transactions or Cryptic subsidizes it at a low rate for design reasons.
Republic Veteran
# 114
11-26-2012, 01:03 PM
If you want to buy ZEN with Dilithium this is great as you now get more ZEN.

So that means less grinding for players who want to buy something from the C-store.
Career Officer
# 115
11-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Encouraging more gameplay versus dilithium purchasing IS a big part of what I mean when I say this is an anti-P2W, Robin Hood strategy, along with the idea of players having more purchasing power through gameplay if the depressed ZEN market holds or is subsidized in a holding pattern.
Captain
# 116
11-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenumber55 View Post
because we know those who dont like to grind without reason are lazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliusnight View Post
.... but that doesn't mean they encouraged it,

of course not ,by adding 50 fleet marks they only made people stop using it.

*facepalm*
Career Officer
# 117
11-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakes7tvseries View Post
If you want to buy ZEN with Dilithium this is great as you now get more ZEN.

So that means less grinding for players who want to buy something from the C-store.
Exactly, which is why this is anti-P2W.

I'm just not convinced this is a better approach than P2W or the best counter to P2W.
Career Officer
# 118
11-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Again, my big problem is with Cryptic approaching this as game designers.

MMOs are not perfectly games. Applying game design thinking without second guessing this approach to them can burn a developer.
Commander
# 119
11-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
This may sound ignorant, but I would think that a low Zen/Dilithium ratio would be bad for Zen sales. If the ratio is low, people will be able to grind Zen like nothing.

I myself ground over 400 Zen worth of Dilithium this weekend.
Only so long as there's Zen in the market, I used to help keep it in myself by constantly buying low, selling high, but with the recent ship sale I dropped 4000 Zen on the Oddessy bundle, then due to the current state of the market and constant decline in the value of Zen combined with the need for Dilithium in the Rep system has seen me sell the last of my Zen and hold it as Dilithium at least until the market can remain stable for a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Simple answer is to SET a price and lock it
Who sets it though, if Cryptic/PWE does then that means there's an official value for nearly everything in game in dollars, if the playerbase sets it then someone will sell at a lower price to undercut and get their dilithium faster.
Captain
# 120
11-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenumber55 View Post

I don't subscribe to this game to add extra "chores" to my life. If someone expects me to do the work, then I expect to be the one getting paid.