Republic Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 502
# 11
12-10-2012, 11:29 AM
I am hearing murmurs of a FED fleet getting one about mid to late January. I do hope cryptic makes an adjustment with several fleets getting to tier 5. Perhaps they will lower the costs a little, making it easier for smaller, younger fleets to get to say...tier 3 a little faster. I only say this because as more and more tier 5 fleets become reality, it might spell the end of smaller fleets simply because people will be clamoring to get into some of these more advanced fleets. I don't think it should be easier for people to get from tier 3 to 4 and 4 to 5, but to make it a little easier from tier 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 might keep the younger fleets going with something to aim for. It may still take time to get to tier 5 for them, but at least they can still have reasonable access to some decent tier 3 stuff.

Yeah, I know. Some people will not like this idea. For a very long time, other fleets have worked their butts off to get to tier 5. Still, we cannot ignore the new players coming in. If we make them feel like tier 5 or a particular level of advancement is unreachable for them, some may not want to keep playing.
_______________________________
To answer your question, yes. - @Executive_Emily - I have a Website? Oh, yeah! I do.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,760
# 12
12-10-2012, 11:32 AM
First Alpha Quadrant is the Fed Fleet I belong to. We've got a T4 Starbase, and it is progressing along nicely (with a dozen-plus regular contributors) towards the T5. Not to mention our Embassy is past T1 and progressing. And we've done all the special projects on both (well, the pile of tribbles one was veto'd as a waste, so that was skipped, and the current Holiday one is only about 60% provisioned so far, but it's expected to be completed before the month ends).


You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 191
# 13
12-10-2012, 11:32 AM
In all honesty, I think most of the large Fed fleets are still quite a way off Tier 5.

The T4-T5 gap costs as much as it took to get to Tier 4, plus half again.

In fact, if you want a visual representation of just what is required, the fine folks over at Reddit Alert (yes, that's a fleet - and a very good one at that) drew up this graphic.

Reddit Alert hit Tier IV on November 9th.

The Ausmonauts hit Tier IV about 5 days after that, and {UFP} not too long after that.

The above fleets have a couple of hundred active members each - perhaps more.

...And as you can see from that picture, they all have a very long way to go before hitting Tier V.

Post Season 7? Wouldn't surprise me if the projected completion of a Tier V shipyard is pushed back to about mid-2013 in many cases, unless fleets have a dedicated cadre of dilithium grinders who are immune to gaming burnout...

Last edited by koppenflak; 12-10-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,691
# 14
12-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia211 View Post
.............. I do hope cryptic makes an adjustment with several fleets getting to tier 5. Perhaps they will lower the costs a little, making it easier for smaller, younger fleets to get to say...tier 3 a little faster. I only say this because as more and more tier 5 fleets become reality, it might spell the end of smaller fleets simply because people will be clamoring to get into some of these more advanced fleets.
Pushing everyone into large fleets is kinda the point.

Allow me to elaborate. People that are more likely to REALLY care about getting to T5 are probably considered to also be the type of player that will spend money... possibly even large amounts of it. PWE wants to keep that type of player around obviously, and grouping them together with like minded people accomplishes them wanting to stay around longer while also committing them to the base and fleet.

Ideally for PWE any small fleets left will be few in number and be composed of like minded casual laid back players that may spend little and probably not on the base. The reason for separating these types of players are clear. The casual non spender will (if only because of good intentions and common decency) try to get the big spender to relax and not spend more than really necessary. By separating them Cryptic can insure that the big spenders feel no pressure to spend or grind less and in fact, probably feels an even greater commitment to the base and fleet if others around him are of a similar mind.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,292
# 15
12-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Yeah a fully completed Tier 5 probably won't happen until spring

from T4 to T5 thats a total of almost 450!! 1000xp projects and the max you can do per day of those is 3 across the 3 sections

the most you can do per day in 1 section is 2000xp

the 5xp assignments I don't count because they are really insignificant.

So if a base started a Tier 5 Military improvement Mid Nov - and worked only Mil - it would take 75 days non stop to get to the Military upgrade - 15 days on the cool down and than 15 days on the Tier 5 upgrade itself

for a total of 100 days - which would be mid Feb - but more like march or April because I don't think many fleets are running all 3 slots of Military all the time past Tier 4
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,991
# 16
12-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyranger1414 View Post
Pushing everyone into large fleets is kinda the point.

Allow me to elaborate. People that are more likely to REALLY care about getting to T5 are probably considered to also be the type of player that will spend money... possibly even large amounts of it. PWE wants to keep that type of player around obviously, and grouping them together with like minded people accomplishes them wanting to stay around longer while also committing them to the base and fleet.

Ideally for PWE any small fleets left will be few in number and be composed of like minded casual laid back players that may spend little and probably not on the base. The reason for separating these types of players are clear. The casual non spender will (if only because of good intentions and common decency) try to get the big spender to relax and not spend more than really necessary. By separating them Cryptic can insure that the big spenders feel no pressure to spend or grind less and in fact, probably feels an even greater commitment to the base and fleet if others around him are of a similar mind.
If this is what Cryptic is thinking, then I would have to disagree.

STO is not built on huge 50+ player 2+ hour dungeon raids like older MMOs. So there is no necessity for huge player fleets. And the social aspect is not different than being a member of a chat channel, which consists of multiple fleets.

Cryptic should focus on small fleets than the few large ones.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,063
# 17
12-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khamseenair View Post
In two years time when I reach tier 5, I'll be able to buy anything I want, just in time for the servers shutting down.
This, a million times.

I may be naive, but I think STO is going to be around for quite some time to come. However, there is always the possibility something will go splat. And I don't want to grind and grind and grind for two years and pick up my goodie just in time for the game to go into "sunset" (re: dying) mode.

This has actively become a very serious disincentive. The irony being that I might be willing to pay more in order to get access to some of the higher-level ships without grinding for two years. It's also caused me to curtail my spending on C-Store stuff - part of the reason I subscribe and buy stuff is to support the game, but with things like this going on the urge to spend sharply declines.

I'm willing to pay for this, and I'm willing to grind, but this is just asking too much of a lot of us. It's quite unfortunate, especially since I feel a bit ripped off with my AC-R being effectively a spud now. While I like it, it was already a pretty expensive side-grade, and the fact that it's now effectively heavily outclassed certainly doesn't help me think I got my money's worth.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 456
# 18
12-10-2012, 01:15 PM
i would love to see some stats on fleets:

how many fleets are there?

what is the percentage of fleets by small, medium and large?

how many fleets have failed?

number of fleets at each tier?

etc.
http://startrek.44thfleet.com/
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,063
# 19
12-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koppenflak View Post
In all honesty, I think most of the large Fed fleets are still quite a way off Tier 5.

The T4-T5 gap costs as much as it took to get to Tier 4, plus half again.

In fact, if you want a visual representation of just what is required, the fine folks over at Reddit Alert (yes, that's a fleet - and a very good one at that) drew up this graphic.

Reddit Alert hit Tier IV on November 9th.

The Ausmonauts hit Tier IV about 5 days after that, and {UFP} not too long after that.

The above fleets have a couple of hundred active members each - perhaps more.

...And as you can see from that picture, they all have a very long way to go before hitting Tier V.

Post Season 7? Wouldn't surprise me if the projected completion of a Tier V shipyard is pushed back to about mid-2013 in many cases, unless fleets have a dedicated cadre of dilithium grinders who are immune to gaming burnout...
Thank you for showing the graphic. It's very interesting and really does show what kind of situation we're "up against," so to speak.

In terms of the Feds being at that point, I think you're right, but we already have at least a few Tier-4 bases. I'm not sure WHAT'S going on with the KDF side, and that's what's got me curious - just how many actual T5 bases are there going to be over there? 10? 5? 1? 2? I'd guess there'd be at least a dozen Fed-side when all is said and done, but I dunno, it seems like the KDF has much worse odds for that, no matter how dedicated the players tend to be compared to Fed players.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,063
# 20
12-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm1958 View Post
i would love to see some stats on fleets:

how many fleets are there?

what is the percentage of fleets by small, medium and large?

how many fleets have failed?

number of fleets at each tier?

etc.
We're probably not going to be seeing that for a variety of reasons.

We're DEFINITELY not going to be seeing any hard numbers on "failed" fleets, because it's pretty hard to come up with a definition of a real failed fleet. Even one wherein all the members haven't logged in in a year might not be failed because the theoretical possibility exists that they'll come back and rapid-level their base something fierce. Plus, I imagine that looking at failed fleet numbers would be very discouraging. Note that I do not believe this to be unique to STO - I'd guess any MMO has more fleets/guilds/teams/etc. that would count as abandoned or failed than they would like to admit.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:59 PM.