Lt. Commander
# 1 era of enemy ships
12-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Why would the designers make it the 25th century where Enterprise-era ships are mixed in with Nemesis-era ships? The Klingon Raptor along with the Negh'var and Vor'cha. The Enterprise-era Romulan birds of prey along with Valdore type and the Scimitar. Weird.

One of my biggest pet peeves about the game.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
12-07-2012, 02:00 PM
AHEM

Some of us like it like that
Wait til you beat the scimitar with your classic Era Constitution class
Empire Veteran
# 3
12-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Whats to stop races from building ships of old design with modern materials and technology incorporated? They may look old but that doesn't mean that they are, the NX ship is a perfect example of what I mean, it's a replica with old hull design and modern tech.
Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.
Warning, this poster tends to talk nonsensically when caffine levels fall below 80%.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Erm it was pretty much explained the NX in this game is a *replica* ship with up to date technology.

As for Raptors, Klingons has been using proven ship designs for a very long time, they are firm believers of "Don't Change What Work Good" when it comes to ship designs. They can only be improved and keep up to date, no need to throw away a perfectly fine design
Ensign
# 5
12-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by defalus View Post
Whats to stop races from building ships of old design with modern materials and technology incorporated? They may look old but that doesn't mean that they are, the NX ship is a perfect example of what I mean, it's a replica with old hull design and modern tech.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhurlbut View Post
Erm it was pretty much explained the NX in this game is a *replica* ship with up to date technology.

As for Raptors, Klingons has been using proven ship designs for a very long time, they are firm believers of "Don't Change What Work Good" when it comes to ship designs. They can only be improved and keep up to date, no need to throw away a perfectly fine design
And this.

I love you fellow trek heads.

/thread.
Republic Veteran
# 6
12-07-2012, 02:15 PM
K'tinga class will live FOREVER!!!!!.....Klingon motto..... If you can put bigger guns on it, it's not broken.

Captain
# 7
12-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Quote:
uh

Technology?

I mean, you can't just take the design of an old wooden sloop, make it out of metal with computers on board, and then say "Have at it!". Technology just doesn't work that way.

Taken with a Trek standard, the advances made in warp coil designs necessitate newer warp cores. The design of a ship has also been canonically linked to its warp field, necessary for warp speed. These come together to form the designs of newer ships, which have higher all-around performance.

Now, from a game point of view, it's all just whatever. I don't care if people fly whatever ships they like from whatever era, that's fine. I'd just rather people didn't assume you could make whatever design with whatever materials and it just works. After all, you can't just grab the engine out of your new 2013 Camry, stick it in a freshly made Model T that's made out of titanium and expect identical performance.
Empire Veteran
# 8
12-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Well obviously the construction of a starship would be alot more complex than build something that looks like something old and whop a load of new computers in it and make it go.. unless of course you're a Pakled.

ST is a sci-fi universe with advanced technology, are you going to say that in this universe they (engineers of whatever race) would be incapable of building a ship that looks like an older model ship and they would be unable to design componants to make it function on a level suitable for its intended purpose?

With the tecnology and scientific know how in the ST universe I don't see how this could not be possible. If Starfleet needs newer and better ships they can build them, that doesn't mean they have to throw out older designs if they can still make them work to a satisfactory level.
Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.
Warning, this poster tends to talk nonsensically when caffine levels fall below 80%.
Republic Veteran
# 9
12-07-2012, 02:40 PM
It does not matter how old or new a ship is in Star Trek..... Take the original 1701, and then take the Enterprise D and put them against something like Q or any god super advance race, and both ships will be Steam ships compared to them.

Would not matter if you're in a Galaxy class or a Constitution class....you find a god like race...get ready to bluff your way out.

Something to think about.

Lt. Commander
# 10
12-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Well obviously the construction of a starship would be alot more complex than build something that looks like something old and whop a load of new computers in it and make it go.. unless of course you're a Pakled.

ST is a sci-fi universe with advanced technology, are you going to say that in this universe they (engineers of whatever race) would be incapable of building a ship that looks like an older model ship and they would be unable to design componants to make it function on a level suitable for its intended purpose?

With the tecnology and scientific know how in the ST universe I don't see how this could not be possible. If Starfleet needs newer and better ships they can build them, that doesn't mean they have to throw out older designs if they can still make them work to a satisfactory level.
Thats why I love Exeter so much (sometime I have it with Excalibur warp nacelles for a more Sovereign tech feel).