Survivor of Romulus
# 31
12-08-2012, 02:02 AM
A sword is a sword
a million years won't change that
Republic Veteran
# 32
12-08-2012, 02:02 AM
Realistic and Sci-Fi do not go together in a sentence, unless that sentence is "Sci-Fi is beyond realistic."
If you believe the sky is the limit, you are aiming too low. We must reach beyond the stars - Ambassador Otungku
Captain
# 33
12-08-2012, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan78 View Post
Realistic and Sci-Fi do not go together in a sentence, unless that sentence is "Sci-Fi is beyond realistic."
You're joking, right?

Realism is the foundation of so many works of science fiction -- speculative works that take what we have now, and extrapolate how technology will develop. Many writers make a genuine effort to put real science to work behind their fiction. They inevitably have to bend the rules here and there, some stories more than others, but there are definite roots in realism in a lot of science fiction.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_science_fiction
Captain
# 34
12-08-2012, 03:06 AM
Some are quite old but the 'Enterprise era' ships in game are not. The Klingon Somraw raptor and the Romulan Bird Of Prey are modern designs, look closely at the raptor, there is less similarity there than you think. As for the NX it's a modern ship built in a old style which makes sense, look at the rate ships blow up in STO, you'd want to build a load of small cheep small crewed ships.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Captain
# 35
12-08-2012, 04:40 AM
i can understand that it is weird, to see those ships mixed, but it can be explained away in about 1 sentence:
due to improved upgrade systems, older spaceframes can be refited to accomodate more advanced technology.
with the romulans it actually makes perfect sense, since the survivors of romulus and remus reactivated all available ships in their scrapyards and upgraded them. Due to the collapse of the empire they probably didn't build any new ships, so they refitted the old ones.

what i actually find a little idiotic in this game, is the number of ships you encounter...so not trek, and kind of takes the juice out of battles with epic proportions.
why they couldn't just warp out before getting destroyed or remain as husks floating in space...i don't know, or why there aren't fewer but stronger ships than 3 frigates, that basically blow after 3 seconds.

it just doesn't feel right that 5 fed/kdf ships plow through endless numbers of enemy ships...destroy 20 negh'vars means kill 40000 klingons and to be honest would cripple the KDFs operations in more than one sector.
Go pro or go home
Republic Veteran
# 36
12-08-2012, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
You're joking, right?

Realism is the foundation of so many works of science fiction -- speculative works that take what we have now, and extrapolate how technology will develop. Many writers make a genuine effort to put real science to work behind their fiction. They inevitably have to bend the rules here and there, some stories more than others, but there are definite roots in realism in a lot of science fiction.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_science_fiction
Yes. = joking. I know a lot of scinece fiction is based on actual science. Just look at TOS and you can see the far fetched ideas on the show that are currently technologies taken for granted.
If you believe the sky is the limit, you are aiming too low. We must reach beyond the stars - Ambassador Otungku
Lt. Commander
# 37
12-08-2012, 05:27 AM
I guess what I'm saying is there's so much in between Enterprise and Nemesis that's not being utilized.
Starfleet Veteran
# 38
12-08-2012, 06:30 AM
This is a "Sandbox" game.

Expect Borg Pandas incoming.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.