Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 514
# 1 Weapon type??
12-14-2012, 10:29 AM
So I've been away for a bunch of months and... wow, things have changed a bit.
Ok, so ... what weapon types are a good idea in pvp nowadays?

It's cool that I can (eventually) get MK XII Romulan weapons... but they are plasma, with the resist gear easily available. I assume this is still a big downside?

Ok, well, I can eventually get MK XII Omega weapons... but they are anti-borg, so effectively blue weapons against everything else.

Craft? Rare drops?
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 499
# 2
12-14-2012, 10:33 AM
i guess weapon type is still a matter of taste. i see a lot of people are big fans of AP where others swear by phaser or disruptor. plasma still has a bad rep with many.

since elite weapons for feds will be phaser and disruptor for klingons i have converted several ships over to phaser to get ready.

i have not heard much about any romulan weapons yet, but in no hurry to try them myself. i will wait to see what i hear about them.
http://startrek.44thfleet.com/
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 42
# 3
12-14-2012, 11:11 AM
For PvP most players go for weapons with as much [acc] as possible. With lots of moving ships, a lot of shots are going to miss, so maximize your damage by hitting the target first of all, at least [acc]x2, [acc]x3 if you can afford.

Antiproton sadly doesn't come in anything higher than [acc]x1 I believe, so many good PvPers count it out.

Plasma would be good if all the STF shields didn't come with a 10% plasma damage reduction. However there are some new Plasma buffs related to romulan gear from the rep system, so keep an eye out for those.

Of all the other energy types, Phaser is very popular for its rather effective disable procs, Phased Tetryons are popular because it combines the Phaser disable with Tetryon shield disable. Polaron is used a lot with science and escorts, as it has an energy drain effect if the player has specced out flow capacitors.

I would go for whatever you can afford and get the highest number of [acc] possible, and to be on the safe side avoid, Plasma, and Antiproton ( which happens to have stupidly expensive consoles because all the PvEers use them).
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,645
# 4
12-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffran607 View Post
For PvP most players go for weapons with as much [acc] as possible. With lots of moving ships, a lot of shots are going to miss, so maximize your damage by hitting the target first of all, at least [acc]x2, [acc]x3 if you can afford.

Antiproton sadly doesn't come in anything higher than [acc]x1 I believe, so many good PvPers count it out.
Plasma would be good if all the STF shields didn't come with a 10% plasma damage reduction. However there are some new Plasma buffs related to romulan gear from the rep system, so keep an eye out for those.

Of all the other energy types, Phaser is very popular for its rather effective disable procs, Phased Tetryons are popular because it combines the Phaser disable with Tetryon shield disable. Polaron is used a lot with science and escorts, as it has an energy drain effect if the player has specced out flow capacitors.

I would go for whatever you can afford and get the highest number of [acc] possible, and to be on the safe side avoid, Plasma, and Antiproton ( which happens to have stupidly expensive consoles because all the PvEers use them).
I use Antiproton. You just gave me a sad. < that's me with a sad.

Acc is a truly great stat. Except when it isn't. Acc really has a dependancy and that dependancy is defense. The less defense a target has, the less Acc you need to reliably hit your target and therefore the less valuable that stat becomes.

Your opponents will have ways to boost thier defense sometimes far above base values.

Your mission should be to time your abilities to lower a targets defense and deliver a powerful strike with the moments when your opponent is unable to counter you.

Just a little bit on Acc.

Cheers!

Awesome Blog
Awesome Videos
Website that's always under construction
And...FACEBOOK MEH!
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 42
# 5
12-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
I use Antiproton. You just gave me a sad. < that's me with a sad.

Acc is a truly great stat. Except when it isn't. Acc really has a dependancy and that dependancy is defense. The less defense a target has, the less Acc you need to reliably hit your target and therefore the less valuable that stat becomes.

Your opponents will have ways to boost thier defense sometimes far above base values.

Your mission should be to time your abilities to lower a targets defense and deliver a powerful strike with the moments when your opponent is unable to counter you.

Just a little bit on Acc.

Cheers!
Thanks for the insight! Everyone has always told me, "acc acc acc!" I ask "why?" "So you hit the target more!"
I've never ever looked at acc from your point of view before, thanks for the eye opener.

Oh man! Does this mean I could have saved Millions of ECs on DHCs when I could have just used tractor beam and some cheapo gunz?

Last edited by caffran607; 12-14-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,645
# 6
12-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffran607 View Post
Thanks for the insight! Everyone has always told me, "acc acc acc!" I ask "why?" "So you hit the target more!"
I've never ever looked at acc from your point of view before, thanks for the eye opener.

Oh man! Does this mean I could have saved Millions of ECs on DHCs when I could have just used tractor beam and some cheapo gunz?
In essence, yes. In practice there is a bit more too it, but all of those things that add up to the bit more will make you overall more effective as a player.

Cheers happy flying!

Awesome Blog
Awesome Videos
Website that's always under construction
And...FACEBOOK MEH!
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,075
# 7
12-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffran607 View Post
Thanks for the insight! Everyone has always told me, "acc acc acc!" I ask "why?" "So you hit the target more!"
I've never ever looked at acc from your point of view before, thanks for the eye opener.

Oh man! Does this mean I could have saved Millions of ECs on DHCs when I could have just used tractor beam and some cheapo gunz?
basically. critH 3 weapons with movement control are the king of damage, in the hold window. their dps will be lower, but thats because they miss more. but what maters most is the right damage at the right time. ships that can never deal that right damage, generally damage over time dealers like cruisers, are better off with acc gear for reliable pressure. most escorts don't have station powers to spare for any holds, so for them flying solo acc gear is best for them. kdf cruisers that can hold and spike are ideal for high crit, acc mod-less weapons, and any escort that runs with team mates that can provide holds for them. as always, team work is king.


antiproton are basically acc-less. but thats alright, like any other high crit mod weapon they have situational usefulness.

plasma, with enough romulan rep grind, can now get over the stf shield problem. with enough sci consoles and set bonuses stacked increasing plasma's damage, its likely that the defense stf shields provide can be completely negated, and then some. but that requires a large investment in time and in game resources. also, the elite fleet shields are actually better then even maco, so in the future less and less opponents will have shields that count plasma out.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,645
# 8
12-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
I agree.
Edited for Clarity. Cause I'm a HELPER!!

Awesome Blog
Awesome Videos
Website that's always under construction
And...FACEBOOK MEH!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,117
# 9
12-14-2012, 04:35 PM
ive been spiking way better with crtHx3 stuffs on Damian.

that being said my dps is a bit lower....although i kill much faster....

phasers....still king.

have fun kill bad guys
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 42
# 10
12-14-2012, 07:34 PM
This is great stuff! Thank you guys!

So with Acc cleared up, what the difference between CrtD and CrtH? I was always under the impression that if you didn't have accx3 you then wanted the rest as CrtD but from what you've written I'm guessing im wrong.

Am I right in assuming, those bigger yellow numbers that pop up when your doing damage is CrtH?

Sorry Zahinder if I seem to have hijacked your thread! But I hope this is the info you were after!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:01 AM.