Career Officer
# 21
12-30-2012, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz200565 View Post
A challenge is one thing,but something being impossible to do is another.
Well since thousands of sucessful runs have been made since the mission has been released on Tribble, your argument is flawed.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Captain
# 22
12-30-2012, 01:22 AM
My humble advice : get good at playing the other STF ground missions first .
Once you do that give Into the Hive another shot .

Into the Hive is a cut above the rest in terms of difficulty (which is used to hide the fact that it is a really-really short mission w/very few new assets thrown in , and not exactly a stretch in Dev the imagination in terms of development) .
If they nerf it , both ground & space will become the next Infected Space , in terms of fly-through-the-mission-fast .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .

Last edited by aelfwin1; 12-30-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Captain
# 23
12-30-2012, 01:44 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was nerfed at some point. We can't possibly allow the Kirks to be faced with a challenge that they couldn't heroically shoot their way out of with their laughable, ineffective builds. . .they might complain, and start flinging insults at players who actually have skill and competence, and often work with the devs to keep things running smoothly.
Rihannsu
# 24
12-30-2012, 06:14 AM
I have to say that the ground part is rather creative. Not necessarily awesome, but fun.

Quote:
Also, something I had to learn the hard way, never go in a stf instance without a pulsewave, sniper rifle or melee weapon. It's best to carry them at all times.
I don't always have pulse or sniper, but I always have a melee weapon... as my secondary weapon. that way I can go "adapt to this" and hack a borg apart simply by pushing z.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.

Last edited by markhawkman; 12-30-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 25
12-30-2012, 07:57 AM
I always carry my maco xii rifle and my lirpa. Makes Borg runs pretty easy. I also have a backup pulse wave should I only be able to shoot enemies.
# 26
12-30-2012, 08:34 AM
I wish you would get some of the rewards reaching some points in the game. .. then if someone leaves before the end it wouldn't be a total waist of time.
Starfleet Veteran
# 27
12-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Hard? Heck ya but all fun!!! The other STF's are easy! Hive aint KAGE people Im full Adapted Maco and had a team that was at least full op Maco with at least one adapted like me. It took us almost a hour with the queen. 3 wipes. Know what I LOVED IT!!!

Keep in mind people used to say Infected ground was too hard and Cure Ground I heard people attack all the time. Early on Cure ground was almost unplayable. Just too hard for most. Finally people figured it out.

Hive is the same. There is a way to beat it if you have a good team and you all know what you are doing. Stay in corners, support and res you team. Sniper borg. Run fast corner to corner. Get her attacking one corner while others shoot from other corner. Once everyone gets used too it then it will be as easy as the others. "BTW" we got the op

Now the main problem with HIVE is no one wants to do it. With the Rep system it has killed a lot of STF's No weapon drop so why do the hard STF's?? Just stick with infected space and KAGE. Unless you need the op for uniform unlock. But hive gives you no extra uniform unlock for the op so there is no real reason that you need it. That is why I dislike the rep system. They need to make a reason to do hive as well as the other STF's again.

Last edited by jtmarsh; 12-30-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Career Officer
# 28
12-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Whilst I agree that the balancing on these STFs is way out of whack and that the shields are largely superfluous, they do at least give you a split second to react to what's happening and either hit a shield battery or the MACO's built-in shield capacitor to stop yourself getting wiped in the next volley.

A good team knows to target the Heavies and the Elites first and a team with a good melee player benefits from those Borg being locked down in melee combat making the rest of the drones relatively easy.

Into The Hive is definitely a challenge compared to IGE which was previously the toughest of the ground STFs - the only problem being that IGE's challenges came from the necessity for teamwork, the environments and the grouping of the Borg - Hive gets its challenge merely from having a stupidly tough boss (and sub-boss) and multiple waves of drones.

I've finished Hive ground a few times now and it's my least favourite of all the ground maps simply because it's dull and doesn't do anything particularly clever or interesting.

Once simple tip when fighting the Borg though: never turn your back on them - it's usually the flank shots that kill you
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Captain
# 29
12-30-2012, 11:30 AM
I love the borg queen's voice. I have to meet the voice actress one of these days and buy her dinner or something.

Anyways, to this day, I have not successfully completed the hive ground due to team that just rage quit or not enough dps . I haven't figured out yet how to get optional though, but it might have something to do with throwing the borgs NPC over the edge and letting the fall take care of them @_@ instead of fighting them one by one.

Good thing I've only queued up in the normal hive or I would have made lots of people angry since I have absolutely no clue about the best tactic to complete the objectives (I know what needs to be done but the how is what gets me). I need tactical strategies people.

So far the only thing that seemed to work in the borg queen room,
-Snipe her
-Make sure to spread out so she doesn't chain electrify the whole team
-A healer to revive allies is an absolute must. Hopefully one that doesn't aggro; looks like sci abilities are indispensable in this map.
-Avoid falling over the edge, there is no fence or any other structure to stop you from falling so stay focused on your surrounding at all times.
-Take out the heavy and elite tacs first then proceed to cleaning out the drones.
-When 3rd waves comes, avoid summoning your pets. none of your teammates should be in your immediate vicinity.

Hey Cryptic, can you DPS this Error ID 30191178 so that I can play?
**~Reality under scrutiny~**
@haudace
UFP Fleet: Operation Omega Task Force | KDF Fleet: KHG Klingon Honor Guard

Last edited by deokkent; 12-30-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Rihannsu
# 30
12-30-2012, 11:56 AM
I found normal to be relatively easy as a Fab Eng. We got wiped at least once on the boss level, but it wasn't too hard. And this was me with random bits of junk for gear(and a Nano-pulse batleth).
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.