Lt. Commander
# 21
12-10-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm sticking it to the man because instead of two people giving perfect world 50 dollars, only 1 person is. I'm well aware of the fact that someone purchased that zen already, but I want to show the purely free to play (and myself) that you don't have to spend your beer money to have nice things in STO, and you can have fun doing it too.
SGT Milton Monzon, SGT Alexander Fuller, SGT Michael Bartley, SGT Martin LaMar
Rest in Peace Brothers
Commander
# 22
12-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm19delta View Post
I'm sticking it to the man because instead of two people giving perfect world 50 dollars, only 1 person is. I'm well aware of the fact that someone purchased that zen already, but I want to show the purely free to play (and myself) that you don't have to spend your beer money to have nice things in STO, and you can have fun doing it too.
Here's the problem, Cryptic already have the $50 that was spent on the ship pack, beyond that it's immaterial whether you paid for it out of your own pocket or by earning Dilithium ingame. Cryptic's balance sheets will still show that $50 was spent towards Zen that was transferred to STO, and $50 was spent on a ship pack.

$50 go in.
$50 worth of goods was purchased.

In fact buying it off the exchange helps Cryptic as more people have to pay in to replace the 5000 Zen you took off the exchange to purchase the ships.

But back to the original point, so long as you purchase the ship through whatever combination of money, Dilithium and stipend you want and don't hack the game for it then Cryptic couldn't care less where the Zen came from.
Captain
# 23
12-10-2012, 04:08 PM
If anything, the OP can simply prove that the whiners who act like they HAVE to spend real money to get anything actually don't have to while documenting the process.
I personally want a Star Trek game that is actually Star Trek. On a qualitative level that could be a lot of different things for a lot of different people. But on a quantitative level, if the developers were to watch star trek and make the game like what they see, then at least it will be a shot in the right direction, as far as I am concerned.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Ok, end of day one. My final total sits at 338 zen. I ended up getting a bonus tonight because I had played earlier and my dilithium cap reset while I was collecting dilithium tonight with my klink. It's taking longer than I wanted to, but I did spend some time in the Winter Wonderland with my brother messing around too. As time progresses, hopefully I can streamline this process and collect the dilithium faster.

I won't be able to do any play tomorrow because I have staff duty again, but wednesday, it's on again.

That post above me is correct. I simply want to prove a point to all the people who complain about Cryptic's business tactics and act like they are forced to spend real money on this game.

Thanks for all the well wishes, and I will continue to document my progress until either success or failure.
Rest in Peace Brothers
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-11-2012, 12:05 AM
I certainly wish you nothing but the best, especially since you seem to be sticking it to the forums, rather than 'the man'. Be careful though. A couple of the resident conspiracy theorists will likely be by shortly to accuse you of being a Cryptic plant.

I encourage you to do the Mirror Incursion if you have an hour. When I pug, and I am lucky, I can get through it 10 or so times, which is a pretty nice return (plus I have fun with it - assuming knuckleheads don't run off to try and do the optional, which kills DPS and makes you have to chase down stray blobs).

If you have a lot of purple doffs and and colonists, try to only do the 50 DIL (iirc) doff missions (usually found under your bridge officer tabs) because when they crit it's 145 or something. Maybe higher. I don't remember the number exactly, sorry - but several of them crit'ing can bring in good DIL. Also, some of the settle colonist missions are 500 DIL. Hard to get those to crit.

500 years in the future and we still look like schmucks when getting our ID photos taken...
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Ok, day two complete. I was only able to max out my Klingon tonight. After exchanging my dilithium at a rate of 106 per zen, I am now sitting at a total of 408 zen. Tonight didn't go so well, mainly due to the PUGs I ended up in had some members that weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. Maybe if I ever grow my fleet I can get a good group together and not have to worry so much about failing STFs. Maxing out dilithium for that one toon took the same amount of time as day 1 for all three of my toons. Hopefully I won't see too many more of these days.

I'll be able to get a nice jump start tomorow though. I traded in contraband for 2k dilithium that will be waiting for me tomorrow when I log on.

Tonight I did the Eta Eridani Daily's, the two quickest Deferi dailies, and the Empire lore mission. I traded in all of my Omega marks for a nice chunk of dilithium, plus the three STFs I ran put me over the top of my 8k limit. I finished the night with the winter wonderland grind for all three of my toons.

I want to clarify the way I'm counting the days. I realize that it has been 4 days since I started this thread, but I only count the days where I actually log on and put in work on this. I realize that this project is an ambitious undertaking, but it will not take precedence over the important things (i.e. family, work, etc.) There will be days that I will not log on.

I'm measuring success or failure on whether or not I complete this project, or I give up when I get halfway through and purchase something cheaper. I also don't plan on this taking longer than a month and a half to two months at the most with my schedule and other responsibilities. I'm a man of my word, so if this ends in failure, I will come on here and tell the entire community that I failed, but I'm not one to admit defeat easily.
Rest in Peace Brothers
Captain
# 27
12-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Quote:
I want to clarify the way I'm counting the days. I realize that it has been 4 days since I started this thread, but I only count the days where I actually log on and put in work on this. I realize that this project is an ambitious undertaking, but it will not take precedence over the important things (i.e. family, work, etc.) There will be days that I will not log on.

I'm measuring success or failure on whether or not I complete this project, or I give up when I get halfway through and purchase something cheaper. I also don't plan on this taking longer than a month and a half to two months at the most with my schedule and other responsibilities. I'm a man of my word, so if this ends in failure, I will come on here and tell the entire community that I failed, but I'm not one to admit defeat easily.
Makes sense to me. And I'm enjoying the read. Back in my last game we had a forum for marketeering and one of the regulars would come up with projects and do day-by-day narratives of what actions and results came up. It was pretty cool and very helpful.

He counted days the same as you. =)
Career Officer
# 28
12-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Takes time to do what your doing. I did the same with my Excelsior.

Took awhile, but the satisfaction and pride that I have for her now is epic, because I worked and waited for her. I admit I only used 1 month of zen from my monthly stipend due to blowing what I had on a new character and name change, but the rest was earned over a few weeks. Maxing it out everyday, and refining what extra I had left over from the previous day's grind.

I didn't only stick it to them, I rammed it up them. =3

Best of luck, and never give in.
Join Date : September 2010. Boldly going forward because Cryptic forgot reverse.
I am currently unsupervised, anyone who knows me will tell you that this will most likely lead to trouble. =3
Non stop crashing and epic lagging are helpful in telling me it's time for bed or to go outside and get a life.
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Day three complete. Did a lot better today than I did on day two. My total zen is sitting at 665 now. I think I've got the dilithium grind down now. Here's what I do.

Lore of the Empire/Starfleet academy daily - 480 dil

Eta Eridani dailies:
Traelus satellite repair - 480 dil
Alhena distress call - 480 dil
Sha'mar distress call - 480 dil

These also give you the Cardassian computer cores. For every 10 of those you are able to do the True Way Salvage mission which is worth 1440 dil.

Deferi dailies:
Emancipation - 480 dil
Free Deferi captives - 480 dil
Assisting the Deferi - 480 dil

Elite STFs - 960 dil, 60 Omega marks (75 if you get the optional objective)

For every 5 Borg Neuroprocessors you turn in on the Omega rep system you get 1000 dil.
For every 50 Omega marks you turn in on the Omega rep system you get 500 dil.
Essentially, if you do elite STFs, you'll be raking in over 1400 dilithium if you trade in the omega marks you earn for dilithium, and sometimes you get lucky and you'll be rewarded with a large amount of neuroprocessors. I've gotten as many as twelve.

Find the security officer on the various social zones and you can start the duty officer mission to turn 5 contraband for 2000 dil. I like to do this at the end of my toon's session so I can get a jump start on the next day. Getting criticals on your duty officer missions can also net you a decent amount of dilithium.

I have noticed a down side to all of this though. Any work you were doing on your starbase, embasssy, or reputation system will come to a halt as you will be pouring every resource and effort you have into grinding zen. It's up to you whether or not you feel it is worth it. I for one, do.
Rest in Peace Brothers
Commander
# 30
12-16-2012, 02:02 AM
Quote:
Day three complete. Did a lot better today than I did on day two. My total zen is sitting at 665 now. I think I've got the dilithium grind down now. Here's what I do.

Lore of the Empire/Starfleet academy daily - 480 dil

Eta Eridani dailies:
Traelus satellite repair - 480 dil
Alhena distress call - 480 dil
Sha'mar distress call - 480 dil

These also give you the Cardassian computer cores. For every 10 of those you are able to do the True Way Salvage mission which is worth 1440 dil.

Deferi dailies:
Emancipation - 480 dil
Free Deferi captives - 480 dil
Assisting the Deferi - 480 dil

Elite STFs - 960 dil, 60 Omega marks (75 if you get the optional objective)

For every 5 Borg Neuroprocessors you turn in on the Omega rep system you get 1000 dil.
For every 50 Omega marks you turn in on the Omega rep system you get 500 dil.
Essentially, if you do elite STFs, you'll be raking in over 1400 dilithium if you trade in the omega marks you earn for dilithium, and sometimes you get lucky and you'll be rewarded with a large amount of neuroprocessors. I've gotten as many as twelve.

Find the security officer on the various social zones and you can start the duty officer mission to turn 5 contraband for 2000 dil. I like to do this at the end of my toon's session so I can get a jump start on the next day. Getting criticals on your duty officer missions can also net you a decent amount of dilithium.

I have noticed a down side to all of this though. Any work you were doing on your starbase, embasssy, or reputation system will come to a halt as you will be pouring every resource and effort you have into grinding zen. It's up to you whether or not you feel it is worth it. I for one, do.
I'm right with you there on the dilithium collecting. I however spend most of my time on the federation side. About two-three weeks ago I finally finished my grind of gathering 2500 zen so I could finally get the Armitage. Now, I'm working on zen for a retrain token for my tactical officer. I've yet to decide what I want to focus on after.