Ensign
hello guys im a fellow engineer just bought my fleet excelsior and im looking for information on some potential pvp tanking builds for it. would love to read up on a few ideas!

Last edited by seerisow; 12-08-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: misinterpretable name
Captain
# 2
12-08-2012, 06:39 PM
As someone who has used a standard Excel-R, most of the same old basic tanking strategies will work pretty well with it. You'll suffer some for the lack of the Lt. Cmdr engineering slot, but not horrendously.

Personally I would advocate a continual chaining of TT1 (probably 1 copy with two purple TT Conn DOffs) combined with EPtS2, EPtS3, and A2SIF3. This will constantly repair both shields and hull at regular intervals, and increase them otherwise (regen + resist for shields, resist for hull), and will also give you a bit of extra damage output from Tac Team while it rapidly reallocates your shields for you.

In terms of consoles you'll probably want to shove in at least 1 field generator in the science slots, possibly 2, and 2-3 neutronium armor consoles. Unsurprisingly you'll want at least a 6 in these Starship stats:

* Starship Shield Emitters
* Starship Maneuvers
* Starship Shield Systems
* Starship Structural Integrity
* Starship Shield Performance
* Starship Auxiliary Performance
* Warp Core Potential
* Warp Core Efficiency
* Starship Hull Repair
* Starship Armor Reinforcement
* Starship Hull Plating

Other useful skills:
* Threat Control (if all you ever plan on doing with this toon is tank in cruisers)
* Starship Maneuvers
* Starship Subsystem Repair (this one is iffy - I personally notice it helps bring downed subsystems up faster, but some argue it does nothing - don't invest a huge amount in it in any case)
* Starship Power Insulators (I wouldn't invest a huge amount, maybe 3 ranks)
* Starship Inertial Dampeners (again, maybe 3 ranks)

Also helpful are any of the weapon-related skills (especially Starship Weapons Training, Starship Energy Weapons, Starship Weapons Performance, Starship Targeting Systems). Note I would not put a huge amount in projectile weapons, because most cruisers aren't fast enough to rely on them. One thing you want to do with a tanking cruiser is pump out agro.

To that end - namely, generating agro - you may also consider cycling two copies of EPtW1 to boost your weapon output and make yourself more agro-worthy. Also, be sure to leverage your Lt. Cmdr tac BOff position, and stick BFaW2 in there. Use the Lt. Cmdr tac power for whatever you want, if you've got TT1 in the Ensign slot and BFaW2 in the Lt. slot.

Additionally you will probably want to use the otherwise near-useless Engineering ensign for ET1 (if you're cycling two EPtS and EPtW, it's a little difficult to use it for much else, and it can help with support if you time it right between TT cycles). You may also consider Hazard Emitters, Transfer Shield Strength, and Extend Shields for additional engineering and science BOff abilities.

Hopefully these are enough in terms of ideas for you to get started. As a final note I wouldn't be overly eager to go above 6 ranks in any stat, though considering they're raw HP boosters I would consider it for Structural Integrity and Shield Systems, albeit that may admittedly be short-sighted of me. Also, these are all my opinion - I'm sure many disagree with me, your mileage may vary, etc.

Good luck!
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
12-10-2012, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seerisow View Post
hello guys im a fellow engineer just bought my fleet excelsior and im looking for information on some potential pvp tanking builds for it. would love to read up on a few ideas!
Drop the Excel and get the fleet exploration cruiser.

The excel is better for dps cruiser style of play.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-10-2012, 08:16 AM
You could start with this,
http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...d=FleetExcel_0

But in the end, you will want to post and read in the PvP forums.
No dont get the Galaxy. Theres a reason no on uses it in PvP. The Boff layout is terrible, turn rate is crap and there are just so many better options. Theres no "tanking" per say in PvP. Just surviving long enough until the other team switches targets. Cruisers are primary healers, it doesnt mean they cant deal good damage. They will deal sustained damage. And provide support abilities like using EWP to force out enemy hazards. Some are cannon boats with CRF to trigger phaser procs, some are FAW boats to clear spam.
Career Officer
# 5
12-10-2012, 09:11 AM
The Excelsior as tank? Well, to some extend, yes. But there are no tanks in PvP. If you are just there to tank, people with half a brain will shoot you a couple seconds and after that ignore you for the rest of the match.

The Excelsior as healer? No, definitly not. It's the Feddies best tactical cruiser, but it is NOT an engineers ship.

As for the Galaxy. Unfortunatly it can't compete with other cruisers, but people tend to overreact here for no good reason. As long as you aren't in a serious premade PvP match and you at least have a basic idea about cruisers and ship builds in general (which seems to be a rare thing in the PvE sections) it doesn't matter.
-----------------------
decker999