Rihannsu
This is a request to the developers:

Please remove unlocked pets from the character's Inventory,
and create a new "Pets UI Menu" from which we can launch our vanity pets.

Basically, this would function the same way Action Figures work in Champions Online. We would have an item that constitutes the pet, just as we do now. This item could be used for missions, accolades, DOff assignments, trading/selling unbound pets, etc. But once we "activate" or "unlock" that pet, the item itself is consumed, and disappears from the Inventory. Then there would be a "Vanity Pets" button that opens a menu from which we can select the pet we want to appear. In Champions, this is an "Action Figures" button on the "character sheet", but a submenu off the mini-map would be just fine, too.

These changes would only affect vanity pets. Combat pets, including carrier small craft, should remain devices/hanger bay equipment. Also, there would need to be a separate menu for each ground and space.

I assume it is beneficial to Cryptic to keep pets hogging up Inventory/Bank space, as it encourages people to buy more storage from the Z-Store. I think this could be offset by displaying locked Z-Store (and Lobi-Store) pets in the UI. These grayed-out/inactive constant reminders would act as advertising, regularly reminding people what's available (what they're missing!), and triggering desire in people to "collect the whole set". This is also done in CO (where as yet unpurchased Z-Store Action Figures are displayed in the UI), and even done in similar menus in STO (such as in the Tailor, where unavailable costumes are shown, you know, in case you want to try them on).

Then there's the fact that some people (myself included), would be more willing to buy more pets, if they weren't space hogs (now there's a pet!). I would go out of my way to collect every pet possible. I'm a Completist and Collection-nut. And think about the "money made" from just Epohhs... If instead of birthing'n'burning every Epohh I get, turning them into Marks (which indirectly are Dilithium and therefore cash), I would keep one of each, if it didn't take up space. That's 30+ fewer 400-Mark turn-ins that Cryptic would not have to pay out.

In addition to the saved storage space, there's the savings in power tray real estate. Also, if you rearrange a pet's token in your storage bag, it often gets removed/relocated in your power tray. Meaning we have to restore the icon from the Power Menu. A minor inconvenience, to be sure, but a pain none-the-less. The Pet UI Menu I mention above would streamline the whole process. Make things easier, and I bet more people would be interested in Pets.

So please consider this. Pets used to be a small corner of this game. However now, more and more, they are becoming a center-stage feature. In addition to the many pets in the Z-store, there's a bunch of exotic creatures in the Lobi Store and in Lock Boxes. And then there's the latest "mini-game" - Epohh breeding. And who doesn't want a nice home for all those cute, widdal, cuddly-wuddly, space wabbits!?!

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.
Career Officer
# 2
12-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Yes, we do need Tribble and Pet Storage areas.

To many tribbles........they taking over my ship!
Captain
# 3
12-10-2012, 01:23 PM
I can definitely get behind this. Especially since one of my characters has a holographic system built into him (or so I like to RP) that manifests such things. Good idea.
Rihannsu
# 4
12-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the support. Red, your character would seem to get a lot of use out of a feature like this. And frankly, I'd really love it, as I'd go out of my way collecting all the pets. There's many I still don't have and won't bother to spend money on because I've got limited inventory/bank space.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
12-12-2012, 01:05 PM
I like your idea too, it would make pet management and collection more fun. i would like to have a special place to store and breed tribbles too
In every time,
in every place,
the deeds of men
remain the same...
Rihannsu
# 6
12-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserkacto View Post
I like your idea too, it would make pet management and collection more fun...
Precisely. Picture the interface like a digital representation of those old baseball "Collector's Checklists" cards... It shows all available baseball players' cards and has a box to tick off each you get. In this case it could list available pets (and possibly a hover-over-pop-up describing how to get it, if not simply spending X currency like Zen or Lobi, which could just be displayed). The ones you don't have are grayed out, but more importantly, the ones you've already unlocked have an "activate", "summon", "hail", or perhaps "transport" button - Click and your pet appears.

Benefits:
- Pets no longer take up valuable and limited inventory space.
- Easy, single-source location for all pets, no more fuss looking for/managing Pet "items" and loading them between the Powers Window and the Power Tray.
- Informs players of other available pets.
- This information acts as "advertisments", encouraging sales.
- Profit. Everyone wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserkacto View Post
...i would like to have a special place to store and breed tribbles too
Then you might like to comment in my other thread on that very subject:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=480181

Career Officer
# 7
12-13-2012, 03:25 PM
I agree with this.
It boosting purchases of inventory slots is a moot point for quite a while now.
Seams like every season we get a bunch more trash items to store.
It's too freakin' much. I like collecting pets too, but I'm running out of room even with all the inventory extensions bought.
This would be a nice solution to the problem.

Vornek@oberlerchner123 - Join Date: July 2008
Rihannsu
# 8
12-17-2012, 04:13 AM
Love this. Inventory space is valuable, even after c-store upgrades.
Empire Veteran
# 9
12-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Agreed. Pets fully take up like 1/5 of my inventory space.
Since the winter event, with the drops that gives, the gear I need to carry around and commodities for doff missions I only have 1 row of free space left for drops from stfs/PvE missions. Which fills quickly.

And yes I've maxed out c-store purchases of inventory slots.

Borg BNPs, make a currency and get rid of inventory item.

A third seperate tab just for commodities would be nice too.
Dislike the forum theme? Try THIS. Dislike the STO home page? Try THIS.
Devs, need Fleet Orion Marauder and Dacoit please! :-)

Using - Bulwark, Voth Fighter. Favs - Fleet Corsair, Mogh, Bastion, Nicor, JHEC, JAS
Some others - Orion Marauder, Chel Grett, Guramba, Risian Corvette, Risian Cruiser
Rihannsu
# 10
12-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the Support ObertheRomulan, Atseearr, and Eradicator84.