Captain
# 101
12-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by betawatcher View Post
I'm sure the fact that he saved the planet while in the role of acting Captain had nothing to do with it
Makes for a Happy Ending, but to be honest, utterly unrealistic in terms of a structured organization, and create conditions rife for a mutiny against a half-trained (and potentially incompetent) Captain
Rihannsu
# 102
12-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Do we know he was half-trained? I got the impression he was basically writing his final exam and was ready to graduate.

I mean, Bones was technically a cadet, but he had his medical degree.
Lt. Commander
# 103
12-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Makes for a Happy Ending, but to be honest, utterly unrealistic in terms of a structured organization, and create conditions rife for a mutiny against a half-trained (and potentially incompetent) Captain
Unrealistic? You mean like a deviant demi-god picking on various Captains for fun? I'm not sure realism is the measuring stick Trek goes by.
Lieutenant
# 104
12-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Captain
# 105
12-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintaris View Post
Do we know he was half-trained? I got the impression he was basically writing his final exam and was ready to graduate.
Kirk was in his third year at the Academy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingtran2 View Post
First of all, LOL.

Second of all, thanks for reminding us all (including me) what this thread was supposed to be about.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Captain
# 106
12-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintaris View Post

I mean, Bones was technically a cadet, but he had his medical degree.
Don't split hairs, it's pretty irrelevant whether he was half-trained, a third trained or three quarters trained, it's just a figure of speech. The point is that Kirk wasn't an Academy graduate, and expecting a seasoned crew to follow orders from some kid who never graduated is something which would never happen in the real world.

I know, I know... Suspend Disbelief...
Captain
# 107
12-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by betawatcher View Post
Unrealistic? You mean like a deviant demi-god picking on various Captains for fun? I'm not sure realism is the measuring stick Trek goes by.
How about the Starfleet commando who wore Jem'hadar ketracel tubes as a necklace? No different to Viet cong chopping off people's ears... There's a fine line between realistic in context and completely implausible...
Empire Veteran
# 108
12-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
Kirk was in his third year at the Academy.

First of all, LOL.

Second of all, thanks for reminding us all (including me) what this thread was supposed to be about.
And Pike specifically said they can be an officier in 4 years (and have their own ship in 8), while Kirk boasted he'd do it in 3, which he did He's under the official grade, for sure, but his talent proved enough to fill that gap

Helping save the Federation probably had a hand in it too
Quote:
something which would never happen in the real world.

I know, I know... Suspend Disbelief...
Isn't the point of any fiction to do things that wouldn't happen in the real world?
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Lt. Commander
# 109
12-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Quote:
How about the Starfleet commando who wore Jem'hadar ketracel tubes as a necklace? No different to Viet cong chopping off people's ears... There's a fine line between realistic in context and completely implausible...
I agree, and I'm pretty sure the deviant demi-god picking on random Captains falls into the "completely implausible" category. Yet that is a continous theme in TNG, and fans arent mad about that. So my point is once again, realism isnt a central theme in Trek.
Survivor of Romulus
# 110
12-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
Isn't the point of any fiction to do things that wouldn't happen in the real world?
Someone once said, I would tell you if I could remember, that the best fiction is taking realistic people and putting them in unrealistic situations and seeing how they react.

In any case, I suggest we all remember the Mystery Science Theater 3000 mantra: "Just repeat to yourself 'it's just a show, I should really just relax.'"
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.