Ensign
# 1 Buggie, Buggie and Buggie
12-10-2012, 09:54 PM
I have been playing this game for several months and really enjoy it. At least up until a few days ago. Now it seems to be so full of bugs that its unplayable. Sometimes my ship freezes in place, sometimes it is in a continuous loop. Goes forward, jumps back and goes forward again. My Character does the same on the ground. Sometimes characters appear to be in the wrong place and the server appears to crash often. This all seem to start about the time they brought out the holiday events. Up until a few days ago I was completely content. I am wondering if others have had an unusual amount of buggy behaveior lately.
Republic Veteran
# 2
12-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Those are network stability issues, and yes, it seems to have deteriorated over the past few months for me too.
Ensign
# 3 Thanks for the input
12-10-2012, 10:06 PM
By network problems, do you mean on my end or theirs. I on using comcast 12 mb line and have a new three thousand dollar gaming system. (Don't tell my wife she would kill me if she new I spent that much.
Republic Veteran
# 4
12-10-2012, 10:25 PM
It could be anywhere: your computer, your router, your modem, your ISP's router(s), PWE's router(s), PWE's server(s).

You can at least test your end though. Just keep a cmd prompt open with "ping -t www.google.com". If you get lots of timeouts or suspiciously high numbers around the time STO starts having issues it's probably somewhere in your neighborhood.
Commander
# 5
12-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubach View Post
By network problems, do you mean on my end or theirs. I on using comcast 12 mb line and have a new three thousand dollar gaming system. (Don't tell my wife she would kill me if she new I spent that much.
There are known issues in Northern CA with Comcast, as well as with one of their data centers in Boston, indicated in this post..

FYI: Your rig has very little to do with network latency issues. Choppiness in video, maybe, but your network card is what has anything to do with latency, and those are pretty standard across the board. Neither does your connection speed, really--at least once your data gets onto relays not owned by your ISP.

Run a traceroute/nettest as indicated in the "Diagnosing Lag and Rubberbanding" sticky (which, by the way, is the term for what you're experiencing--your character "snaps back" as though on a rubber band) and post the results. The results you're looking for are in the first post of that sticky, as well as how to run those tests. Tech Support will also be looking for those results in any ticket you submit.

You'd be surprised by how many people with "fast connections" have nettest results that report back as....less than mediocre.
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting

Last edited by lewstelamon01; 12-10-2012 at 10:27 PM.