Career Officer
# 11
12-11-2012, 11:39 AM
I remember a while back (think it was in one of the Ask Cryptic) Dstahl said he would like to finish the story of the Enterprise-B and explain what happened to her.

Don't recall him revisiting that idea since, but be nice if that was fleshed out.
Career Officer
# 12
12-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
I remember a while back (think it was in one of the Ask Cryptic) Dstahl said he would like to finish the story of the Enterprise-B and explain what happened to her.

Don't recall him revisiting that idea since, but be nice if that was fleshed out.
I smell a foundry story.... can we use ST:II era uniforms in the Foundry?
Captain
# 13
12-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
Yes, one of the few in there.
Delta Rising is the best ex... oh sod it, I just want my Jupiter and Typhoon

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.
JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it!
Unofficial Bortasq' Uniform colour guide here.
Career Officer
# 14
12-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
Yes, one of the few in there.
Hmm interesting but I doubt it would be published because it might infringe on IP or something if we were to take off from immediatly after Generations.
Career Officer
# 15
12-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
They are still available.

And yes, definitely can make a Foundry story. In fact, I seem to recall one or two already available. So perhaps Cryptic could turn it into a contest and the best one gets chosen?
Captain
# 16
12-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak View Post
I believe after encountering 8472 singularities and an adventure in fluidic space, she was critically damaged but Data managed to get her back home safely, where she was retired.
Subsequently retired due to "critical battle" damage. ROFL

How many times was the TOS Connie critically damaged? How many time have our in game ships been critically damaged or destroyed. Most of us should be acquiring a whole new alphabet to designate our ships.
Chingachgook told me, Don't try to understand them; and don't try to make them understand you. For they are a breed apart and make no sense.
Career Officer
# 17
12-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tancrediiv View Post
How many times was the TOS Connie critically damaged?
In the series... never that I recall. No serious compromises to the hull, no total failure of any key system. From a narrative perspective, they couldn't afford to. They couldn't afford to show the damage on the ship, so it was never really hurt that bad. Nothing Scotty couldn't at least field patch until they reached a starbase.

In the movies, the original was critically damaged against Khan, and limped home. If I remember right, they were going to mothball it after that, except Kirk and co. stole it to go after Spock and subsequently blew it up.

The Enterprise-A wasn't really damaged in V, the main conflict there was on the ground. In VI it got wrecked pretty good, hold punched right through the saucer. It's not clear how compromised it really was though, it seemed to be running better than its predecessor was after Khan got through with it. Regardless, it had been established at the beginning of the film that it was scheduled for deactivation.

As for the Enterprise-E, it was a brand new ship at the time of First Contact, and still pretty new at the time of Nemesis. It made sense to repair it, even considering the massive damage to the structure of the saucer. By the early 2400's, she would've been pushing 30. If damaged as badly as in Nemesis, Starfleet might have just found it more cost effective to scuttle her and commission a new Enterprise.
Empire Veteran
# 18
12-12-2012, 01:42 AM
Quite simple, the fate of the Enterprise NCC 1701-B was due to an incompetent Captain.

Basically they all perished due to stupidity.

In early drafts of Star Trek Generations and various merchandise released before the movie, the commanding officer of the Enterprise-B was called "Harry Johnson". In the Star Trek: The Next Generation Interactive Technical Manual, the computer refers to him as "James Harriman." - Memory Alpha

John Harriman was a Starfleet officer and captain of the Excelsior-class USS Enterprise NCC-1701-B.

Funny how almost every single Enterprise without a Kirk at the helm suffers a horrible demise. However; in this case, the demise of the Enterprise B was the result of an incompetent Captain.

There goes the TITANIC NCC 1701-B

Last edited by stark2k; 12-12-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Career Officer
# 19
12-12-2012, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stark2k View Post
Quite simple, the fate of the Enterprise NCC 1701-B was due to an incompetent Captain.

Basically they all perished due to stupidity.

In early drafts of Star Trek Generations and various merchandise released before the movie, the commanding officer of the Enterprise-B was called "Harry Johnson". In the Star Trek: The Next Generation Interactive Technical Manual, the computer refers to him as "James Harriman." - Memory Alpha

John Harriman was a Starfleet officer and captain of the Excelsior-class USS Enterprise NCC-1701-B.

Funny how almost every single Enterprise without a Kirk at the helm suffers a horrible demise. However; in this case, the demise of the Enterprise B was the result of an incompetent Captain.

Also of note: The Enterprise B was still very much in one piece when he stepped down. His first officer was promoted to captain and given the reins of the ship.

There goes the TITANIC NCC 1701-B
I know the Star Trek books aren't canon but, have you read any? There is a good one called Serpents Among the Ruins . It details the events of the Tomed Incident that sent the Romulan Empire into isolationism prior to re-emerging in TNG. It takes place as Captain Harriman's career is winding down. By then he had become a quite capable and well respected captain. The events in Generations just seems to be an inexperienced captain with and inexperienced crew manning an ill equiped vessel. It really paints a bad picture for the character but, they had to keep James T Kirk looking good didn't they?

Last edited by scififan78; 12-12-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Career Officer
# 20
12-12-2012, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan78 View Post
I know the Star Trek books aren't canon but, have you read any? There is a good one called Serpents Among the Ruins . It details the events of the Tomed Incident that sent the Romulan Empire into isolationism prior to re-emerging in TNG. It takes place as Captain Harriman's career is winding down. By then he had become a quite capable and well respected captain. The events in Generations just seems to be an inexperienced captain with and inexperienced crew manning an ill equiped vessel. It really paints a bad picture for the character but, they had to keep James T Kirk looking good didn't they?
Hit the nail on the head there.

When it all boils down to it, the Harriman part of the 'Generations' story suffered from 'James T. Kirk' syndrome. It happened numerous times in trek - three obvious examples:

STV: We were supposed to believe that Starfleet thought it better to field an almost inoperable Starship simply because Captain Kirk was in Command. We were therefore expected to believe that there were no other ships that could've dealt with it.

STVI: The Excelsior shows up during the battle between the Enterprise-A and General Chang's BOP, but they couldn't possibly have Sulu come to Kirk's rescue, and Kirk HAS to be the one to 'save the day' so we end up with Sulu saying "Now they've got something else to shoot at" and the Excelsior simply sitting there and getting shot at.

STVII: Kirk makes the modifications to the Enterprise-B deflector and saves the day. And were were supposed to ignore the fact that he wasn't an engineer and that the Enterprise-B had at least one officer aboard (Scotty) who could've done the job better and faster, not to mention that there MUST have been engineers in the ship's engineering section, which would be closer to the deflector control room than the bridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.

Last edited by reyan01; 12-12-2012 at 03:57 AM.