Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Captain
# 91
12-20-2012, 12:45 PM
This has been getting noticable. Some are even Bots that respawn when killed, but do nothing else.

These cheaters have to be punished.

I agree that an abusable kick feature is bad, but what if it requires "Team size" - 1 votes to kick?

So if in a five man team, one is not doing anything, all others can vote on "Yes to kick" .

If its just one person out of spite, the others can press "No, don't kick."

To protect the noobs from being kicked, it could be implemented that the kicked one needs to be afk for 5 minutes or so.

Last edited by tpalelena; 12-20-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 92
12-21-2012, 04:04 PM
This is how Cryptic can beat the intelligent AFK'er:

From http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...postcount=3465

Quote:
Originally Posted by shar487a View Post
AFK'ers need only group together in pairs to prevent the 4-man majority from kicking them.

My suggestion: Distribute end-mission rewards based on Total Damage + Total Healing done by each player. This way, active DPS'ers and active healers get the cut originally slated for the AFK'er.

Example: Player1 deals 20k dps + 5k healing. Player2 deals 5k dps + 20k healing. Player3 deals 15k DPS + 15k healing. Player4 deals 5k DPS + 5k heals then AFK's. Player5 AFK's the whole match.

Total DPS + Heals = 45k + 45k = 90k
Player1 receives 25k / 90k = 27.8% of the total marks / drops payout
Player2 received 25k / 90k = 27.8% of total payout
Player3 receives 30k / 90k = 33.3% of total payout
Player4 receives 10k / 90k = 11.1% of total payout
Player5 receives 0k / 90k = 0.0% total payout.

(Yes, I know there are round-off approximations above)

Basically, the more the player scores in heals damage, the better his final cut of the end-game reward.

Loot Rolls can also be modified with the same above percentage multipliers to give bonuses to active players, and penalties to AFK'ers. This means that no matter what the AFK'er rolls, his final roll number will still be near zero if he doesn't deal any heals or damage during the match.

This system would work even in the case of 4 AFK'ers + 1 active player since it is based entirely on how the player performs.
In a nutshell: Distribute rewards based on actual player performance. Even semi-active participants will still walk away with a piece of the pie originally slated for the AFK'er...

Last edited by shar487a; 12-21-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Lieutenant
# 93
12-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mittenslorraine View Post
My three main characters cycle through Starbase 24 missions while I do other things (such as my first ever post here). I always initiate combat with them and check back every few minutes to respawn if needed. I also have my ships follow a teammate, so I can ensure that my ship will actually be useful. I also stay away from STFs because I agree that AFKing in something with optional objectives and such is garbage.

Am I a terrible person? Do I deserve a ban? I await judgement by my peers.

PS - it took three Starbase 24 missions to write, proofread, and submit this post. I'm now 1440 dilithium richer.
Terrible person: No idea, but you are a terrible teammate.
Ban: No...but I deserve an option to remove you from my team since you're 100% useless.
Lieutenant
# 94
12-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpangel View Post
Never noticed anyone AFK in an STF, though I have occasionally seen players who would do their team a favor if they left for a cup of coffee and didn't come back until the fight was over. I still wouldn't say it's my place to tell them they can't play.
But that's the entire point. The people we're talking about AREN'T PLAYING. So you wouldn't be telling them they can't play. They already made the decision not to play. A vote kick system would give you the opportunity to say..."I recognize your decision to NOT PLAY and reward you by allowing you to NOT PLAY".

No one has a problem with the person who gets up for 1 minute to...
answer the phone
grab a drink
remove their burning lunch from the stovetop
etc...
Lieutenant
# 95
12-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Quote:
The queues exist so people can play without asking permission from random strangers. If you want to choose your team, do so. Don't go into a PUG then whine about the other players not meeting your standards. You can't have it both ways.
That's not good for the game. The average player PUGs because that's just what most people do. Repeated bad experiences drive players away. The more people that give up in frustration, the less money STO makes. The less money it makes, the less content is created. I'd prefer that the game I like is able to attract new players and KEEP them. Less players is NOT a good thing.
Lieutenant
# 96
12-22-2012, 03:52 AM
I might have a solution to this issue. It's pissed me off too much recently. If you are out of range of the majority of the squad. you get kicked automatically. Something like 60 meters on ground, and more for space. Most spaces maps for STF's are small, but if this were to be applied to all maps, it'd have to be a varying amount, and maybe not possible even then.

That will either force them to actually move and help, or make spawn camping/afking a bit less worthwhile. The follow command would be an issue, so perhaps disable it on PvE maps?
Rihannsu
# 97
12-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emperormak View Post
That's not good for the game. The average player PUGs because that's just what most people do. Repeated bad experiences drive players away. The more people that give up in frustration, the less money STO makes. The less money it makes, the less content is created. I'd prefer that the game I like is able to attract new players and KEEP them. Less players is NOT a good thing.
The average player will find getting kicked by griefers a worse experience than ending up in a team that sucks.
Survivor of Romulus
# 98
12-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Quote:
The average player will find getting kicked by griefers a worse experience than ending up in a team that sucks.

If the majority of the team decides to kick a player just to grief him then they would do him a favor because the team would be so bad, it would be pointless to run a STF with them.

Yes a kick-vote system or at the very least an ignore system that does not put me together with people on my list is needed.
Survivor of Romulus
# 99
12-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjeremy16 View Post
I might have a solution to this issue. It's pissed me off too much recently. If you are out of range of the majority of the squad. you get kicked automatically. Something like 60 meters on ground, and more for space. Most spaces maps for STF's are small, but if this were to be applied to all maps, it'd have to be a varying amount, and maybe not possible even then.

That will either force them to actually move and help, or make spawn camping/afking a bit less worthwhile. The follow command would be an issue, so perhaps disable it on PvE maps?
That auto kicks anyone who gets killed
Rihannsu
# 100
12-23-2012, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascaladar View Post
If the majority of the team decides to kick a player just to grief him then they would do him a favor because the team would be so bad, it would be pointless to run a STF with them.
Good players can still be jerks who'd join an STF with 4 people just to kick some pugger for laughs.
Quote:
Yes a kick-vote system or at the very least an ignore system that does not put me together with people on my list is needed.
An ignore system could be fair, if it was properly implemented to not negatively affect other players (ie, you're the one who waits for the next one if the team has someone you refuse to play with).

Of course, people with huge ignore lists might have to wait pretty long to get a team that doesn't include any of them, but that's also the fair outcome of being picky.

Still not necessarily worth the developers' time, in my opinion.