Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Commander
# 121
01-10-2013, 03:39 PM
1) Don't pug.

2) Report afkers.

3) Leave/Fail the mission once there's a confirmed afker and do another STF/something else (like the Foundry IOR).

I didn't have to deal with idlers in a good while.

Going one step further or if the problem escalates:
Organize a semi-official blacklist of known idlers.

ROCKET SCIENCE.

He's dead, Jim.
Starfleet Veteran
# 122
01-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Are there any accounts of AFK'er, leechers, and similar ever being dealt with by Cryptic or PWE?
Career Officer
# 123
01-10-2013, 05:10 PM
The way i see it, the real problem in the game is the LEAVER PENALTY. Maybe it once served a purpose but nowadays with the automatic queues, i see no good reason for having it.

If any player decide to leave at any moment, only consequence is that another player in the queue will come in as a replacement. I see nothing wrong with that and the game go on.

Now, if the Leaver Penalty was completely removed, any player that were unsatisfied with their game experience ( say because of an AFKER, a noob or a rude moron ) could simply warp out and rejoin the queue at their leisure.

It is a so simple solution, i don't understand what Cryptic think they are gaining with the Leaver Penalty. It serves NO purpose. As long as replacements can join, there are no reason to penalize anyone who decide to quit for x reason.
Captain
# 124
01-10-2013, 06:36 PM
We already have a spam report silence feature that is being abused and look at the stink in the forums being raised about that. A vote kick system will get abused, not might, will, some group of petty minded people, and we have plenty of those, will make a game of kicking players before an STF is completed just for laughs, we will have annoying Elite snobs kicking people for not meeting their standards, and the list of potential abusers goes on and on.
An adjustment to the scoring mechanic in the game is all that is needed, if you do no damage or do no healing of other players in an entire STF sequence you get no reward at all.
Commander
# 125
01-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Cue the gold farmers with their transparent <this will lead to NEW ABUSES!> schtick.
what? by definition, if you add a feature where people can vote to kick people out it WILL be abused. there is no doubt about that. just like the chatban feature is abused. there is an idiom in game development: if it can be abused it will be abused

Quote:
I AM BEGGING the developers to add a vote to kick... if someone is AFK and freeloading omega and romulan marks it is only fair that the other 4 team members can kick them.
'fair' is irrelevant. it would be abused. if you want to talk about fair you had best explain why its fair that others will be have their own gameplay disrupted by those that will abuse it

Quote:
I might have a solution to this issue. It's pissed me off too much recently. If you are out of range of the majority of the squad. you get kicked automatically.
not practical, especially with the rubber banding and kickback issues that are common when the connection gets iffy. it also essentially autokicks anyone who dies

Quote:
If the majority of the team decides to kick a player just to grief him then they would do him a favor because the team would be so bad, it would be pointless to run a STF with them.
circular logic. you're stating you are encouraging such abuse

the fact is, players voting for any action to be taken against another is going to be abused
Survivor of Romulus
# 126
01-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus51166 View Post
stuff
I think you are applying circular logic here yourself.

Sure people can abuse this and there are probably some not so nice people with a grudge against tactical captains in cruisers and trying to vote-kick them, but the abuse cases from this side are less likely then the ongoing afk-abuse we have right now.

If one group decides to vote-kick a player for example they could be locked in with 4 players, with no replacement which would makes it harder for everyone and ensure the option is only used in extreme cases.

At the same time saying no to any change because there is a chance that it might get abused and ignoring all the abuse that is already going on is indeed a faulty logic.
Captain
# 127
01-11-2013, 12:59 AM
Said this in a similar thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Most effective method would be to have the game itself punish afkers. I played City of Heroes and their Incarnate Raids had a mechanism where if not enough useful activity is done (damaging npcs, healing allies), then they get the consolation prize. Just damaging the gateway in ISE would not be useful activity since its just one target. Sucks if your game crashed or disconnected, but worth the cost of reducing afkers. So instead of getting 60+ Omega Marks, then they would get 5. I doubt many afkers would afk through 12 or more elite STFs to get the same amount that they would get through one elite STF if they played normally.
Another idea is adding content similar to epohh raising for Omega Marks, Fleet Marks, and future reputation content. The thing is to make worthwhile content unattractive to afkers so they would rather do this content that takes time, but easy to do over rewarding content that requires strategy. Personally, I prefer the first method since it punishes afkers.
Captain
# 128
01-11-2013, 04:16 PM
The afk thing has become an epidemic.

It shouldn't be hard to implement a vote kick feature for public queues, allow players to ban idlers out of the instance. It also shouldn't be hard using metrics to single out idlers from noobs so that 4 trolls in the same instance can't abuse the feature.

Afkers are a minor annoyance even if they might cost team the optional sometimes, but this is just a game and I won't cry foul forever. It's just would be nice to have good runs, and they are so rare even without the afker problem.
Reality is WAR
KHG Klingon Honor Guard
Lieutenant
# 129
01-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cletusdeadman View Post
You already have a voting system, it is called warping out. And it works 100% of the time when you have an AFK person on your team.

Listen, I know you want your shiny for completing the STF. I know you want to play the STF on that character and you enjoy doing it. I know you don?t want to let your team down and you want to do your part. So, you are willing to work harder to get your shiny and theirs too. It?s okay, really. There is nothing wrong with that. The only part I don?t understand is why you want Cryptic to do something about it. If you complete the mission for the AFK?er then you support their behavior.
If I were Cryptic, then I wouldn?t do anything either.

For me, no way. I refuse to do for another player what they won?t do for themselves. It doesn?t bother me in the least to leave a team in a position where they can?t complete the STF to stop an AFK?er from exploiting me, game or not. If that toon gets time penalty, so what. I switch characters and keep going.

I know I am going to get flamed for saying this considering how unpopular this is. But I have to leave you with one question, which of us is doing something to stop it- the one completing the mission for them or the one stopping everyone from completing it?

? to thine own self ?
The problem with that is it doesn't really stop the afk'er. He probably glances at the game every few minutes to see if it's over. Once you leave, it's pretty much over and he can queue up again and not have to worry about the leaver penalty. So at best, you're setting him back a few minutes. If everyone left, every time, that would mostly put an end to afk'ers.

Leaving isn't a big deal in an STF. But if it's a Fleet Action and you're KDF, you may have been waiting a long time for enough people to queue. And if it's pvp, as either faction, you may have waited a long time.

PvP AFK'ing is even more egregious. I queued for 6 PvP matches yesterday. Out of those 6 matches, there were 17 people that were AFK the whole time. In 2 of the ground matches, the entire FED team was AFK. You can't kill what doesn't respawn. So after sitting in the queue for over an hour for each of those matches, leaving a couple minutes into the matches because their whole team is AFK is very frustrating.
Lieutenant
# 130
01-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
We already have a spam report silence feature that is being abused and look at the stink in the forums being raised about that. A vote kick system will get abused, not might, will, some group of petty minded people, and we have plenty of those, will make a game of kicking players before an STF is completed just for laughs, we will have annoying Elite snobs kicking people for not meeting their standards, and the list of potential abusers goes on and on.
An adjustment to the scoring mechanic in the game is all that is needed, if you do no damage or do no healing of other players in an entire STF sequence you get no reward at all.
I played WoW for years. That game has a vote to kick system. I voted to remove hundreds of people that were either AFK or intentionally causing problems (griefing). Never once did I vote to kick someone without a good reason to do it. And in all that time, I was never removed from a group. Not one single time. Is it possible that someone tried to kick me? Sure. But if that happened, there wasn't one single time where the rest of the group agreed to kick me.

So, is it possible that a vote to kick system would enable rampant griefing? I suppose it could. But, from my experience, it doesn't happen in WoW. And if griefers and elitists don't do it there, I find it hard to believe that it would be that big of an issue in STO.

Unless you'd like to suggest that STO has more griefers and elitists than WoW.