Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,517
# 141
01-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
Really ?

If that were the case , one could not even enter and STF or Action without encountering someone AFK, which is plainly not the case. I PUG multiple PVEs a day and have yet to see an AFKer.
You are lucky. Might be something to do with your timezone or maybe you play when all the trolls have logged off. Extremely lucky in fact. I don't discount the possibility you're lying though haha. Everyone else in the social zones, fleet channel always complain about AFKers. It's actually depressing to have to hear it everyday. I don't know why that is, but I'm seeing more and more AFKers myself, ever since season 7 launch. So I'm getting exasperated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon
Exagerration does not suddenly make your point more valid. An Epidemic ?
My point is valid, simply because I'm not the only one complaining about it. I don't know why you're the exception but many have encountered this problem. I just hate it to the point I've ruined a couple of ISE (lol so far I did it once, it was a bad day) because I saw AFKer after I've failed a number of CSE guess why? Because of AFKer a couple hours before. I'm grinding for Omega marks, I have no tolerance for bull****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon
This whole idea is rife with potential for exploiting.
True, but I think kick vote should only apply to idlers, shouldn't be hard to use metrics to identify idlers from n00bs. This will allow n00bs to stay and learn..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon
(1) Your experience of the game is not the same as everyone elses.
Very true indeed. It should also be mentioned that your situation is the exception rather than the norm . I do not believe in the slightest that this AFK bullcrap affects only a select few. I just can't be that unlucky to be affected by it all the freaking time (now that's an exaggeration but you get my drift).


Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon
I realize that my experience of not ever seeing these mystical AFKers , does not mean it doesn't happen.
I freely admit that.
I find it very funny you are the only one who has posted in this thread to not complain about the AFK problem.
Forum fun murdered. No longer in service.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,517
# 142
01-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeasom
I play multiple PUGS and apart from people not knowing what they are supposed to be doing or doing the complete opposite I don;t think /I've seen a AFKer however I have gone into aFK mode myself on occasion I have twins and if one of my kids start crying or need to be checked on when I'm in a fleet event or STF I have no compulsion on leaving the game. I tend to return within a few minutes but there has been a occasion where that may not be feasible.
I have no problem with your kind of AFK to be honest. This is a game anyway, it shouldn't take priority over daily life. To me, afk carries a different meaning, probably not the original intended definition. An AFKer is someone who warps in, stays at spawn point, needs everything, collects loot then warps out when the game is over. That's just bullcrap. I just hope the AFK is not made team leader with the master looter setting (not sure if it works anyway so I shouldn't be that worried).
Forum fun murdered. No longer in service.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 236
# 143
01-21-2013, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by je11yfish View Post
Currently there is no mechanism in place to deter people from accepting a PvE mission and then going AFK to sponge the rewards.
Why should anyone be actively engaged for 10-20 minutes when they can instead tab out, surf the web, and rely on their teammates to carry them through to victory?

Going AFK is also becoming more popular. I encounter an AFK person every 4-5 missions, both space and ground. The 20-man missions appear to be favorites, presumably because they think that their inactivity will go unnoticed.

I am asking the developers to please implement some form of the following:
1) an auto-kick from the mission if they are AFK for X amount of time.
2) a vote-kick mechanism that allows the team to boot inactive members.
.
I agree. I vote for!
I ran many mine trap and there was an afker. The player stay there from start to the end. We did everything with 4 players. It's not fair. 4 players do their best to win, Why the fifth the such afker would ger reward?!
I really think it's time to do something against this bad behaviour! While captain do their best in fleet action, some admiral do afk and get reward at the end.
Cryptic devs, please, do not let bad people ruin the game
http://i.imgur.com/RVocq.jpg
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,173
# 144
01-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Displaying the names of afkers is against Forum Rules and you might get banned for it. However, you could create a google doc with the names of various afkers that you encounter and point people to it that are interested.
If you make one, I'll donate; I have a folio of several names from fleets that should know better (one of which are named after a type of unhappy bear). Make the doc and I'll add to it.
Ensign
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
# 145
01-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderfoot006 View Post
Why make it a vote kick? The chat ban is a similar idea and already being abused. No reason to think vote kick wouldn't be. How about a proportional reward system instead? You do more to support the team then you get more. You do nothing then you get nothing. And exclude the AFK from the Optional as well. Already scoring some missions to determine who is 1st. Shouldn't be too hard to expand on this.
I agree here on proportional rewards, but not just on what people do. Some PVE games go on longer than others, and having these sometimes much longer (compare Starbase 24 to the Klingon Scout force for instance) net you the same amount of dilithium is insane. But my issue with the lack of scaling the rewards based of average time per game is irrelevant in this case. I say they should make note of the top five people in a PVE and (unless there's only five people allowed) give each of these people a proportionally larger amount of dilithium (maybe something like 10-20% for first for example) which would encourage people to actually take part if it means more dilithium to use to prepare for their next rank. I've come in first, second, or third quite a lot, especially 2-3 levels before my next rank and every time I'm left wishing that performance would have earned me more dilithium to upgrade my weapons, shields, and other things. So in this case giving people who are more active or do better in PVEs more dilithium would hopefully make it more worthwhile to actually play instead of going AFK to net easy rewards...... Also, in the Starbase 24 I've noticed that one of the groups of Klingon ships has a tendency to wander over to the spawn area maybe 50-60% of the time, making it extremely hazardous to actually respawn since when you do your shields and weapons subsystems start underpowered, which isn't good when you have a Klingon battlegroup firing on you

Last edited by ussbattlemaster; 01-24-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: remembered Starbase 24 was the first Federation PVE you can play
Ensign
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
# 146
01-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalericdavid View Post
A kick voting would solve the afk problem but it would cause other problems because I know it would be abused and if it is abused even 1% of the time that is 1% of the time to many.

The best thing to do is change the reward system. Only people that take part in the death and destruction of something should have a chance to get the loot from a drop.

If someone goes 3 min at anytime without the game detecting activity from a person using the mouse,keyboard,joystick or whatever their will be a warning and 1 min later if still no activity the game automatically disqualifies the person from getting any and all rewards from the mission.

Something like that should help keep people from afk'ing missions and no chance for player abuse.
Slow computers can take 2-4 minutes to reload the map when you respawn or even spawn depending on what's going on. (how many friendly ships are in the area, how many hostile ships, large amounts of weapons fire, a sudden and very large patch at the beginning of the match, etc) The kind of strict time limit enforced by denial of rewards and potentially being kicked from the match could also punish people for being unlucky enough to have their comps slow down. I know this will happen, and in your own words if it happens even 1% of the time that 1% is far too frequent.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 132
# 147
01-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
How is them not doing anything more of a burden then them not being there? Do they draw unwanted aggro? Take reward share away from you?

Honestly curious.
I'm sure it's been said...but they are taking the place of someone who would actually participate.

Being able to kick these players or making it so they do not receive any reward would prevent them from doing this in the future.

This way...only people who plan to actually participate will queue up.
____________________________
Ensign
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
# 148
01-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mittenslorraine View Post
It's forcing me to be more careful about my zen purchases. I almost bought the Odyssey pack but blew a ton of zen on the duty officer packs like an idiot. Now that I've finally gotten enough dilithium to convert to the zen to purchase that pack, I'm finding myself scrutinizing that purchase, even though it seems like it's one of the best ships in the game. So far, I've purchased 5 ships, 22 character slots, a bunch of duty officer packs, and extra duty officer slots for my main.
I'm currently saving up dilithium to trade so I have enough ZEN for the Multi-Vector Escort (that's what it's called right?) even though I'm not a rear admiral yet. Problem is that land maps tend to be glitchy for me (usually problems where there's areas that don't load so either I appear to fall through the ground or I keep bumping into what to me appears to be "invisible" walls since they haven't loaded yet) and therefore I can't play any land based PVEs. Unfortunately there's only three space PVEs available to me right now that provide dilithium and one of them seems highly unpopular or just doesn't fill up very quickly, which is why I say there should be different amounts of dilithium given out for taking part in PVEs that take a longer time to complete.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 236
# 149
01-25-2013, 08:26 AM
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 254
# 150
01-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdrake View Post
Something like this would be deleted from the forums if you filled it out and posted it. Don't think it's allowed to call out players or fleets on these forums (Sadly). lol
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:37 AM.