Ensign
# 81
12-15-2012, 01:36 PM
As a newer member to STO (started this summer), I don't have lots of zen or dilithium. I considered getting LTS, but I decided to hold off and see what happened with Season 7.

I was super excited to play the game, and was hooked pretty quickly. I even purchased a copy of the Collector's Edition from Amazon. Then I saw how much prices were in the C-Store. No way was I going to pay $20 for a ship that may or may not be good. Fortunately, I learned about the clickies from STOked. I worked my way through them, earned plenty of dilithium, converted it to Zen in the exchange, and purchased additional character slots.

With about 25 characters, it became a total routine - come home and click my way through to dilithium. I might add that I also took advantage of STFs (and got frustrated with randoms who sucked/AFK'd) and Mirror Incursions. About once every two weeks, I was able to purchase a new ship.

Then came Season 7. Gone were dilithium rewards from STFs. Gone were the clickies. The Mirror Incursion now seems on a completely random schedule and is once or twice a day. While I have heard that dilithium is back for STFs, I guess I've just settled into a routine. Starbase 24 rewarded 1440 dilithium for a while. Then it got downgraded to 480.

So post Season 7, my alternates are useful for contraband missions and Academy midterms. I'm not sure what else to do with them. My three main characters cycle through Starbase 24 missions while I do other things (such as my first ever post here). I always initiate combat with them and check back every few minutes to respawn if needed. I also have my ships follow a teammate, so I can ensure that my ship will actually be useful. I also stay away from STFs because I agree that AFKing in something with optional objectives and such is garbage.

I haven't even purchased anything since Season 7. I haven't traded dilithium for zen either. I have characters with 20k dilithium, and my mains are at or above 100k. I have convinced my wife to play STO, and we're playing through the main storyline and I am enjoying it. If it wasn't for playing with her, I might have left the game completely.

Am I a terrible person? Do I deserve a ban? I await judgement by my peers.

PS - it took three Starbase 24 missions to write, proofread, and submit this post. I'm now 1440 dilithium richer.
Career Officer
# 82
12-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mittenslorraine View Post
As a newer member to STO (started this summer), I don't have lots of zen or dilithium. I considered getting LTS, but I decided to hold off and see what happened with Season 7.

I was super excited to play the game, and was hooked pretty quickly. I even purchased a copy of the Collector's Edition from Amazon. Then I saw how much prices were in the C-Store. No way was I going to pay $20 for a ship that may or may not be good. Fortunately, I learned about the clickies from STOked. I worked my way through them, earned plenty of dilithium, converted it to Zen in the exchange, and purchased additional character slots.

With about 25 characters, it became a total routine - come home and click my way through to dilithium. I might add that I also took advantage of STFs (and got frustrated with randoms who sucked/AFK'd) and Mirror Incursions. About once every two weeks, I was able to purchase a new ship.

Then came Season 7. Gone were dilithium rewards from STFs. Gone were the clickies. The Mirror Incursion now seems on a completely random schedule and is once or twice a day. While I have heard that dilithium is back for STFs, I guess I've just settled into a routine. Starbase 24 rewarded 1440 dilithium for a while. Then it got downgraded to 480.

So post Season 7, my alternates are useful for contraband missions and Academy midterms. I'm not sure what else to do with them. My three main characters cycle through Starbase 24 missions while I do other things (such as my first ever post here). I always initiate combat with them and check back every few minutes to respawn if needed. I also have my ships follow a teammate, so I can ensure that my ship will actually be useful. I also stay away from STFs because I agree that AFKing in something with optional objectives and such is garbage.

I haven't even purchased anything since Season 7. I haven't traded dilithium for zen either. I have characters with 20k dilithium, and my mains are at or above 100k. I have convinced my wife to play STO, and we're playing through the main storyline and I am enjoying it. If it wasn't for playing with her, I might have left the game completely.

PS - it took three Starbase 24 missions to write, proofread, and submit this post. I'm now 1440 dilithium richer.
So you AFK because they stopped you getting Dilithium for clicking a console? I suppose at least it's honest.
Concessimus etiam omnibus liberis hominibus regni nostri, et dedit pro nobis et heredibus nostris in perpetuum, quibus libertates subscriptas, habendas et tenendas eis et heredibus suis de nobis et heredibus nostris in perpetuum.
Survivor of Romulus
# 83
12-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Quote:

I find you Guilty of first degree self interest And recomend you for corrective counselling
Ensign
# 84
12-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwgacy1 View Post
So you AFK because they stopped you getting Dilithium for clicking a console? I suppose at least it's honest.
As I said, it wasn't just the clickies. In fact, I found out about that somewhat late in the game. As I stated in my post, it was also the removal of dilithium rewards from STFs and the new rotation of Mirror Incursions. Prior to S7, I was able to predict when the next Mirror Incursion would be, and could plan for it. The schedule was very regular, and there were typically three MI missions a day. Now, there's just one or two per day, and at weird hours. I loved MI events because it was quick dilithium and good experience. 5 minutes for 480 dilithium with no cooldown for the next MI queue.

Add to that the fact that the doff grinder is now so much more expensive. I actually enjoyed working up my doffs' levels. I missed out on that exploit, but I like the doff system and sending people out on missions. I used to spend an hour every morning before work sending my doffs off on missions. Now it just isn't worth it.

So what does that add up to? A few AFK matches a night before/after I go through all my characters and do midterms. I have almost all the questions memorized at this point! I also have my characters do confiscate contraband missions. Nowhere near as much dilithium, but I'm OK with it.

It's forcing me to be more careful about my zen purchases. I almost bought the Odyssey pack but blew a ton of zen on the duty officer packs like an idiot. Now that I've finally gotten enough dilithium to convert to the zen to purchase that pack, I'm finding myself scrutinizing that purchase, even though it seems like it's one of the best ships in the game. So far, I've purchased 5 ships, 22 character slots, a bunch of duty officer packs, and extra duty officer slots for my main.

I suppose if I was a life timer with a stipend and other bonuses, I'd probably already have just about everything, and I wouldn't need to AFK. Unfortunately, that's not the case for me. I considered grabbing LTS when it was on sale, but after reading the dev blogs about their intended changes, I lost a lot of confidence in the game. Perhaps if Season 8 opens more doors than it closes, I'll reconsider. Until then, if you happen to see someone following you during Starbase 24, please say hi .
Empire Veteran
# 85
12-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
How about this

At the end of a mission the person who did most damage gets a reward
the person who did the most healing gets a reward
the person who took the most damage gets a reward
the person who completed the most goals gets a reward
people who destroyed specific targets get rewards (all small rewards)

no kills no healing you get NOTHING
Would the person who took the most damage still count if they also didnt heal or do damage while sitting AFK?
I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
Career Officer
# 86
12-16-2012, 06:15 AM
Quote:
As I said, it wasn't just the clickies. In fact, I found out about that somewhat late in the game. As I stated in my post, it was also the removal of dilithium rewards from STFs and the new rotation of Mirror Incursions. Prior to S7, I was able to predict when the next Mirror Incursion would be, and could plan for it. The schedule was very regular, and there were typically three MI missions a day. Now, there's just one or two per day, and at weird hours. I loved MI events because it was quick dilithium and good experience. 5 minutes for 480 dilithium with no cooldown for the next MI queue.
STFs have (most of) their Dilithium rewards rewards back with the chance to make even more from BNP turn ins, Fleet Actions have had Dilithium added, the Foundry has Dilithium added, if you're character's a VA then the Reputation will be giving you 960 Dilithium a day on top of that.
Pretty much every part of the game is now giving Dilithium for playing it, it's not throwing it at you for clicking a console but in an hour or two you can make a lot more Dilithium than previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittenslorraine
I suppose if I was a life timer with a stipend and other bonuses, I'd probably already have just about everything, and I wouldn't need to AFK. Unfortunately, that's not the case for me.
500 Zen a month and a small XP boost the only advantage an LTS or veteran Gold sub will have over a Silver player other than Respecs etc, but they won't help you grind Dilithium.
Concessimus etiam omnibus liberis hominibus regni nostri, et dedit pro nobis et heredibus nostris in perpetuum, quibus libertates subscriptas, habendas et tenendas eis et heredibus suis de nobis et heredibus nostris in perpetuum.
Ensign
# 87
12-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwgacy1 View Post
STFs have (most of) their Dilithium rewards rewards back with the chance to make even more from BNP turn ins, Fleet Actions have had Dilithium added, the Foundry has Dilithium added, if you're character's a VA then the Reputation will be giving you 960 Dilithium a day on top of that.
Pretty much every part of the game is now giving Dilithium for playing it, it's not throwing it at you for clicking a console but in an hour or two you can make a lot more Dilithium than previously.

500 Zen a month and a small XP boost the only advantage an LTS or veteran Gold sub will have over a Silver player other than Respecs etc, but they won't help you grind Dilithium.
Yeah I haven't even opened my locked gear from the changeover yet. Guess it made a bad taste in my mouth.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will give them a try.
Survivor of Romulus
# 88
12-17-2012, 12:41 AM
I can only say that I will just warp out if I see someone hanging around AFK. I know this is not the best solution as I make it even harder for the ones who are not AFK. On the other hand they have the same choice as I have and that is leaving.

Personally I think if an AFK-player has to queue multiple times without getting any reward he will eventually get the message.
Career Officer
# 89
12-17-2012, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpacknz View Post
Vote kick has already been discussed enough times, not going to happen because all it needs is some idiots with a grudge to see someone and just kick them for no reason, bad idea...
What is so bad about that? Sure it sounds like a crappy group of people, but if they all agree to kick and then are prevented from doing so again (for a period) by the system - then what harm? Surely, its better than continued leechers.

Remember, while most of us have the luxury of seeking non-pug groups, the vast majority of players who are facing this have no such opportunity (in my opinion). Just saying "Don't PUG" and patting yourself on the back is no solution for the integrity of the game and how it is perceived by the masses.

A voted kick is the best way to ensure fairness.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Rihannsu
# 90
12-17-2012, 08:34 AM
I have never been bothered by idlers.

Never noticed anyone AFK in an STF, though I have occasionally seen players who would do their team a favor if they left for a cup of coffee and didn't come back until the fight was over. I still wouldn't say it's my place to tell them they can't play. If they suck badly enough that the mission can't be completed, I'll leave. And with S7 the only STF you need to do is ISE, it takes a lot of sucking to lose that. I probably wouldn't care if there was an idler or two in there, as long as they don't kill the generators early.

In fleet actions I have noticed an idler sometimes, and was always happy there was one less person to compete for 1st place. I couldn't care less what rewards they get for doing nothing.

The queues exist so people can play without asking permission from random strangers. If you want to choose your team, do so. Don't go into a PUG then whine about the other players not meeting your standards. You can't have it both ways.