Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 658
# 11
01-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Just thought I'd point out the actual problem here: Science Team, the power that "Removes science debuffs for 5 sec", does nothing to Viral Matrix at all, and hasn't for some time. Of course, since it's a nerf to a sci ability, it may be "working as intended" since apparently the devs "intend" them to be worthless.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 12
01-13-2013, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensecura View Post
Just thought I'd point out the actual problem here: Science Team, the power that "Removes science debuffs for 5 sec", does nothing to Viral Matrix at all, and hasn't for some time. Of course, since it's a nerf to a sci ability, it may be "working as intended" since apparently the devs "intend" them to be worthless.
What? I hit ST and those annoying VMs disappear.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 217
# 13
01-13-2013, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starboardnacelle View Post
The Red Matter Capacitor seems to remove the debuff completely. Engineering Team needs to be brought back into line.
Speaking of the Red Matter Capacitor... it's bugged and only repairs the shields, engines and aux subsystems. The weapons subsystem is not repaired by the Red Matter Capacitor. Please fix!

Need help with PVP? Check this thread out!
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 434
# 14
01-13-2013, 07:19 AM
I haven't tried Science Team in a while but Engineering team is the power they said should fix it. As it goes, ET only fixes for the 5 seconds the skill is active. Once ET runs out VM takes over again. This is not the advertised effect and that is why it has been reported.

If ST is clearing fully, which it used to do a long while ago if I remember correctly, then that sounds like yet another bug. They do tend to work from code that isn't exactly up to date sometimes.
__________________________________________
Foundry: Yet Another Borg Mission
It's terrible but easy, and these Borg are way cooler than the mess STO and Voyager left us.
May not actually be "way" cooler or even "slightly" cooler.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 658
# 15
01-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
What? I hit ST and those annoying VMs disappear.
Every time a d'Deridex hits me with a VM I hit ST a couple seconds later, and the icon is still there afterwards, right alongside the VM one, and it does continue to disable more subsystems.

Also, as far as the idea that ST clearing VM is a bug, that would be an outrageous situation. ET has always been highly valued for its healing capabilities, while ST has been valued only for its cleanse, with the heal of TSS being much better. The idea of removing a critical part of the cleanse from ST should never be entertained for a moment.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 434
# 16
01-14-2013, 07:49 AM
I just mean that I think there was a time at which ST cleared it because, as noted, it is a Science skill. That was changed to ET, I can't remember the reason for sure but I think it had to do with VM effecting power systems (engineering's department). At some point neither one worked and then, eventually, ET was claimed to be fixed as a means to clear VM. Based on that bit from the patch notes, if ST is actually having an effect (and I'm not sure that it is) then it is most certainly a bug. Or the left hand doesn't know what righty is doing.
__________________________________________
Foundry: Yet Another Borg Mission
It's terrible but easy, and these Borg are way cooler than the mess STO and Voyager left us.
May not actually be "way" cooler or even "slightly" cooler.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 522
# 17
01-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Maybe the d'Deridex had a VM doff equipped
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 18
01-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokersmith1 View Post
Maybe the d'Deridex had a VM doff equipped
Nah, them Rommies just made a new VM that violates the game's rules. Sneaky buggers them...
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,311
# 19
01-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Nah, them Rommies just made a new VM that violates the game's rules. Sneaky buggers them...
You're surprisingly not far off the mark.

Turns out that Viral Matrix is exploiting a loophole in the way that individual effects are applied by a periodic ability of this nature, which prevented it from being cleansed using conventional methods. You see, the effects don't have a duration until they are active. So while VM has 3 shut-down cycles, only one is ever active at a time and they are 4 seconds apart from one another. And since EngTeam only lasts 5 seconds, the best you could ever do is prevent 2 of those cycles from occurring, and the third would become active outside that safety window.

We've just managed to prototype and implement a new method for cleansing debuffs of this nature, which we haven't made use of on STO in the past. After this fix is patched in, Engineering Team will finally be a true cure for Viral Matrix (as well as the version caused by the "Viral Spread" Doff).
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 860
# 20
01-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
You're surprisingly not far off the mark.

Turns out that Viral Matrix is exploiting a loophole in the way that individual effects are applied by a periodic ability of this nature, which prevented it from being cleansed using conventional methods. You see, the effects don't have a duration until they are active. So while VM has 3 shut-down cycles, only one is ever active at a time and they are 4 seconds apart from one another. And since EngTeam only lasts 5 seconds, the best you could ever do is prevent 2 of those cycles from occurring, and the third would become active outside that safety window.

We've just managed to prototype and implement a new method for cleansing debuffs of this nature, which we haven't made use of on STO in the past. After this fix is patched in, Engineering Team will finally be a true cure for Viral Matrix (as well as the version caused by the "Viral Spread" Doff).
Is this solution to finally balance it and Science Team with the fact that Tactical Team lasts 3 times longer and gives three effects (auto-Shield distribute, damage buff, and Boarding Party cleanse - the other two Teams only have two effects)?
CHARACTER GRID (@Lord-Ice):
___ |___ _ Fed ____| ____ _KDF __ ____| Rom
Tac_|_Thomas Hale_| __ __Illusion _____| Silence (K)
Eng | ___Antilles _ _| _ Mirror Rygobeth__| N'Vek (F)
Sci _| __ Rygobeth _| _Lukor Son of Q'Tar | Devala (F)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:10 AM.