Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Career Officer
So I got the Omega torpedo launcher and it seems to be confusing/disappointing. Hopefully someone else who has it can help clarify things for me:

1. If you have multiple torpedos slotted, the Omega seems to "take priority" in that it will fire when ready, even if you have another torpedo ready as well. If the Omega had the lowest priority (i.e. only fired it's rapid shots when other torpedos were on cooldown) it might be really good. As it is, it is really bad (because it prevents normal torps from firing unless the Omega is out of ammo).

2. Projectile Weapons Officer Doffs, while displaying on the tooltip as working on the Omega torpedo, do not appear to do anything. It's too bad that their cooldown reduction does not have a chance to speed up the re-load of a charge (which is what I would expect).

3. EDIT: Also the "bonus torpedo damage" from the RULE 62 console only affects the kinetic damage, not the plasma damage (though, to be fair, this might be consistent with all plasma torps... I don't know)

TL;DR: The OMEGA torpedo, as it stands, is not recommended for torpedo boats for 2 reasons (incompatibility with other torp launchers and non-functionality with PWOs).

Bonus: The only ship where i might recommend the OMEGA is as a rear launcher of a cruiser... it will shoot all its charges quickly while you turn around.

Last edited by heresincebeta; 12-12-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Career Officer
# 2
12-12-2012, 07:10 AM
ive been running this launcher by itself foward with 3 projectile doffs. while I can't say for certain that they're doing anything for the recharge, I do know that i'm firing this thing just as frequently as I was firing 2 photon launchers forward. Additionally, i'm rotating HY 3 and 2 with this and i'm getting hits ranging from 22k to 50k (even had one for 70k against the gate in ISE) on the high yield shots, which also seems to have a very nasty AOE for the same amount, though small radius. the normal shots are hitting for about 7k each with out critting, but i'm also using 4 ambiplasma envelope consoles.

I *think* just by watching the recharge, that the doffs are increasing the shots it recharges. I've watched the number jump from 1 charge to 4, very rarely do I ever see it empty.

personally, my long term plan is to run this launcher forward and the romulan launcher aft, dunno how that's going to turn out until cryptic decides to get the romulan launcher working properly.
Career Officer
# 3
12-12-2012, 07:22 AM
See I'm not seeing that kind of damage... my Mk XII Quantums are so much better than this thing.

Also, have you seen the 3-piece bonus proc? The "Reactive Deflection"? Is it working? I haven't seen a buff for it or anything... not sure if it's working as intended or not.
Career Officer
# 4
12-12-2012, 07:25 AM
lol honestly, no, but to be fair, im also using 2 -threat consoles so im rarely taking damage. the whole team has to be dead before I start getting hit.

*edit
just for ref, this was from a recent ISE run:
[Combat (Self)] Your Plasma Energy Bolt deals 47541 (32184) Kinetic Damage to Tactical Cube.

Last edited by darimund; 12-12-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Career Officer
# 5
12-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darimund View Post
ive been running this launcher by itself foward with 3 projectile doffs. while I can't say for certain that they're doing anything for the recharge,
I think I figured it out: this torp launcher goes into a 8-second recharge when used with a special attack (Torp Spread or Torp High Yield). PWO officers seem to cool that down quicker (as they should). beyond that I dont see PWO doffs speeding anything up.

What *should* happen is that this think should use it's charge when you TS or THY and should have no slower recharge for a special attack.

I think it's bugged... I'll submit a ticket.
Captain
# 6
12-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresincebeta View Post
1. If you have multiple torpedos slotted, the Omega seems to "take priority" in that it will fire when ready, even if you have another torpedo ready as well. If the Omega had the lowest priority (i.e. only fired it's rapid shots when other torpedos were on cooldown) it might be really good. As it is, it is really bad (because it prevents normal torps from firing unless the Omega is out of ammo).
This is something you should be taking control of yourself with keybinds. Bind all of row 4 to one key and all of row 5 to another key, then you can put the torps you want to fire first in row 4, then flip your tray back down so you don't have to devote space to them.

The rule 62 boosting kinetic only is consistent, I think. Things that boost the dot on regular plasma torps are Mk, Rarity, [Dmg], and Plasma energy weapon consoles, (yes the ones that boost plasma beam and cannon damage). The plasma torp consoles only boost kinetic. Yes, this makes little sense. Also the dot can crit, so there's that to think about if you're building for dots.
Career Officer
# 7
12-12-2012, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redricky View Post
This is something you should be taking control of yourself with keybinds.
Why? Autofiring torps is fine (specially if you shoot 1 every second from 3x launchers and 3x PWOs like I do). If the priority was random, even, it'd be fine. But the problem is this launcher shoots all 5 of its charges and keep any other launcher from shooting due to the 1-sec GCD of torps.

Having to keybind+mash a button to get this thing to work seems like a non-starter for me.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
12-12-2012, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Why? Autofiring torps is fine (specially if you shoot 1 every second from 3x launchers and 3x PWOs like I do). If the priority was random, even, it'd be fine. But the problem is this launcher shoots all 5 of its charges and keep any other launcher from shooting due to the 1-sec GCD of torps.

Having to keybind+mash a button to get this thing to work seems like a non-starter for me.
Redricky has answered your question for you. Take the autofire off and make a keybind file to fire your torpedos off in the order that you want them to or assign a different keybind for individual torpedos. You have the tools to make a workaround for your problem created by using autofire.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-12-2012, 07:44 AM
Controlling torpedo firing allows you to wait until you have your damage buffs up, then fire your torpedoes for maximum effectiveness. Another thing is you will want to wait until shields are down for maximum damage.
Captain
# 10
12-12-2012, 07:47 AM
Quote:

Sorry to sound harsh, but a keybind is the solution, and it is in game. You are asking the devs to give attention to something so you can leave your torps on auto-fire? What if another player prefers that the Omega fires first as it currently does? Should they lobby the devs to get it changed back? It's your personal preference that they fire in a certain order, and the tools exist to allow you to control that order.