Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Career Officer
# 21
12-13-2012, 09:24 AM
I agree that PVP could use some attention. Personally I haven't done a whole lot of PVP myself mostly because of a few factors.

When I would queue for PVP back in the day most of the matches were pretty one sided. Sometimes you would win, but most of the time, you would get steamrolled by premades, and really it just got to a point that I didn't want to queue anymore. There needs to be some teamwork in PVP otherwise you end up focus fired by premades and you just resent ever queuing up for it.

Sargon I think is doing an excellent thing in trying to get those of us (Like me) who don't typically PVP into matches by education and workshops. Perhaps after all this is said and done people will begin to work together instead of flying off in separate directions.

I signed up for it, and hopefully I can learn a thing or two as well as find people like me who can band together and bring some more balanced battles into the PVP queues. As for all the dedicated individuals who are giving up their free time to help us PVP noobs out I salute you. I'm really looking forward to the challenge and really hope everyone can start to better enjoy this long neglected aspect of STO.

I also think that people should get more involved in the OrganizedPVP channel. There are some really talented PVPers in there who have a wealth of information to share and learning a thing or two from them could really help.

Anyway that's just my thought on it. I'm looking forward to the event and cant wait to see what the community can make of it. Good job to everyone!
Starfleet Veteran
# 22
12-13-2012, 11:56 AM
No PvP is an unbalanced system; having to grind for gear makes PvP extremely unattractive. Haven't PvP'd in about 2 plus years (Used to PvP a lot), but since I spent 45 Million on 4 Tactical Consoles just to have them outdated less than a month later, yeah I'm done with PvP.

If gear was easier to get I would probably PvP more and with Tactical Consoles costing 45 Million each, instead of 11 Million each, and needing 5 now instead of 4 yeah PvP is even more unattractive. If they made it easier to get gear or put a cap on the exchange then more people would probably PvP.

But the ranters and ragers in the STO forums won't let that happen, so PvP will continue to die, boot camp or not an unbalanced system and users having to grind forever to possibly get good gear and then have that gear outdated in the next patch, yeah PvP will continue to die, oh well it was fun 2 plus years ago.

Go ahead and say if you don't want to put the time into grind for gear then don't PvP. . . . . . . . ok
12th-fleet.com

Last edited by mjaymor78; 12-13-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Captain
# 23
12-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxchristian View Post
Yep, the long waiting times for space PVP with my Klingon are turning me off from casual PVP. And the OPVP 10vs10 matches are always when I doing something else xD

But new content means news posts on the main page. Which would always generate a spike in new players.
You are right that something new every season is more useful than have a big update once every 2 years xD

I still think that the "101 How to PVP" on the main page every month would get a big increase in the PVP queues. Thats a lot of advertisement for a low cost.
Fly in Ker'rat. Bring friends. Keep your finger on your defensive buffs.
Captain
# 24
12-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmaster View Post
Fly in Ker'rat. Bring friends. Keep your finger on your defensive buffs.
It's still kind of funny how Ker'rat goes depending on the time.

There could be 10 KDF and 2 Feds.
There could be 10 Feds and 2 KDF.

Rarely do I ever see 2 and 2 or 10 and 10.

There's still the folks that also switch sides - which is kind of funny on the KDF side, since they're going Fed when the Feds outnumber the KDF so they can get their KDF Captain killing.

Ker'rat is...broken - broken on so many levels - and it has been for so long. The only thing they've addressed with it was making it so folks couldn't quickly AFK farm the Dil... the rest? Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath. Stretchy, hidden, restart respawn, side switching, and all the rest... yeah, wouldn't hold my breath.
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder
Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethaen, M.Qin - Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba
Captain
# 25
12-13-2012, 01:20 PM
300 applicants and growing!
Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
Empire Veteran
# 26
12-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaymor78 View Post
No PvP is an unbalanced system; having to grind for gear makes PvP extremely unattractive. Haven't PvP'd in about 2 plus years (Used to PvP a lot), but since I spent 45 Million on 4 Tactical Consoles just to have them outdated less than a month later, yeah I'm done with PvP.

If gear was easier to get I would probably PvP more and with Tactical Consoles costing 45 Million each, instead of 11 Million each, and needing 5 now instead of 4 yeah PvP is even more unattractive. If they made it easier to get gear or put a cap on the exchange then more people would probably PvP.

But the ranters and ragers in the STO forums won't let that happen, so PvP will continue to die, boot camp or not an unbalanced system and users having to grind forever to possibly get good gear and then have that gear outdated in the next patch, yeah PvP will continue to die, oh well it was fun 2 plus years ago.

Go ahead and say if you don't want to put the time into grind for gear then don't PvP. . . . . . . . ok
if you haven't played pvp for 2 years, you have no right to say anything about balance. pvp is about 80-90% balances, with few things that are overpowered, spamy crap unfortunately.

your placing way to much impotence on factors that effect things the least. all mkx, green, blue equipment, they will work fine. if i ran all white version of what i run now, i would proboly only kick 10-15% less ass, that would still be over kill most of the time.

there is no reason to spend a fortune on purple mk XII anything. if you have blue mkxi everything, you are still extreamly competitive. any short coming at that point is in piloting.

the most important thing in pvp is timing, not spaming so you have a constants high dps. the right damage at the right time is what kills. wait for, or create openings and your gear will be the least relivent part of the equation. all the gear you NEED is easy to get, it was stf related, now its the reputation sets. some fleet equipment is good too.
the pvp build and help thread
gateway links(should actually work now) -->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
# 27
12-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaymor78 View Post

There's a pilot on here who has Youtube clips of him/herself successfully flying in white common equipment

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Captain
# 28
12-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantris View Post
If you add good rewards, people will queue up. It's really that simple. The "PvP itself is reward enough" only works if your comfortable having a really small PvP player base.

On the other hand, balancing a f2p game with a pay to win cash shop for PvP while not massively pissing lots of people off is almost completely impossible.

So if they do develop PvP more, you should probably never expect it to be even marginally close to a well balanced affair. I think some folks need to come to terms with that.
I honestly don't mean this in any insulting way possible, but the kind of player who'd only do PvP for material rewards isn't the kind I'd want queueing. The queues have already suffered the latest horde of dil farmers, if you're not queueing for a love of the game you're not being fair to your teammates.

If you absolutely must bribe people, at least tie a win condition in to the rewards or something.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Career Officer
# 29
12-13-2012, 02:31 PM
/signed with the biggest SIGNATURE I can do!!!!!!

Oh and it is 3 years, not 2 years that we have been waiting on even a single PvP map!
Member since January 2010. I AM NOT A PWE FAN!!!!
Captain
# 30
12-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
any short coming at that point is in piloting.
And it's definitely one thing for some of us to acknowledge that we need the better gear because of that shortcoming - it's another thing to think that's the case for all.

Even decked out in Mk XII Purps - there are folks that would annihilate me with Mk X Whites...meh.

Some people can't accept that about themselves... I think they'd have more fun if they were to recognize their limitations, accept them, do what they can about it, and just try to have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
all the gear you NEED is easy to get
I would say... "was" easy to get. To an extent, it's still easy to get - it just takes a lot longer. So yeah, it's still "easy" to get, just not as "quick 'n easy" - eh?
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder
Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethaen, M.Qin - Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba