Career Officer
# 11
12-12-2012, 10:12 PM
This is a welcome change. It's nice to know that my missions will all provide 960 dilithium now.

Only thing better would be if you automatically were provided with the dilithium reward when completing a Foundry mission, provided it took you at least 30 minutes (measuring your own play time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenhammand View Post
How about taking long stories and breaking them up into bite sized 30 minute chunks. That way grinders get the rewards as well as good story?
It's not necessarily that easy to do. For example, on my mission Dereliction Duty, you can spend over an hour talking on the Atlas to everyone on the deck, or you can go straight to the briefing and then back to the turbolift, spending less than 10 minutes aboard. So, how do you treat a map like that in terms of splitting up the mission?

That's an extreme example, but the point is the amount of time it takes someone to play a mission can vary wildly. We also don't have access to any sort of data to help us judge the length either.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.

Last edited by nagorak; 12-12-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Career Officer
# 12
12-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Whoa...I just did some calculations and found out that, if one was to do this mission for a full 24 hours [I really don't see anyone doing so, though], they could accumulate 46,080 Dilithium.

At current prices of 105 per 1 Zen, one could make 438 Cryptic Points per day. (though there's that pesky "can only refine up to 8000 Dilithium per day" rule; it'd still be in the account to eventually refine and trade)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BuffyFanForever/Misc%20Pics/CustomSizeforSTOSignatureImagesSelection3.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-12-2012, 11:04 PM
@Batman: I'm kind of hoping people would have easier ways of making $4.38 in a 24 hour period then grinding missions..........

@drogyn: I was kind of hoping a few more issue with the foundry would be fixed before ratings were turned back on, but at this point we're stuck. As for the IOR chance, I really think its going to depend if your mission is grind worthy anyway if this is going to make much of a change.

You figure those that are just grinding will be searching for the quickest, least complicated mission that qualifies and spamming it like High Yield Torpedo. Just mentioning you have significant story element in the description will probably keep them away.

The good side to this is it's more likely to draw in players who might like playing a story mission but didn't have the time to invest in one and still need to do two other ones to get the marks/dil. From what I read from Branflakes, the cooldown time starts at ACCEPTING the mission, not completion (though I want to see this for myself first). If this is the case someone could play through nagarok's stuff and cash in after each episode without needing to wait.
Play Star Trek: Allegiance - my first series in the Foundry
Captain
# 14
12-12-2012, 11:10 PM
You know what, Cryptic? I have talked a lot of trash about the way you do things (as I will doubtless continue to) but hats off for actually listenning then coming to a reasonable and balanced solution to this issue. I honestly didn't think you guys had it in you but I am very pleased to be mistaken in this case.
Career Officer
# 15
12-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
It doesn't make much of a difference for those players. If they're not willing to play for the story, they'll stay away from the good missions just as they did during the Clickie exploit. This makes things better for them and no worse for us.
I can see it affecting us by grinders rushing through our shorter missions and causing them to no longer qualify for the daily

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Captain
# 16
12-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Don't sell this small but far-reaching change short, guys.This is a great boon for foundry authors as well.

Many people who never bothered before will start giving foundry missions a go. A lot of them will just power grind the shorter missions but I have no doubt we will get new UGC adhearents as well.

There is now a reasonable reward for playing our missions. Hell, I'm all about the foundry and I'm sure even I'll play more player missions now that I can combine it with my dil grinding. This is good stuff.

In fact, you know what? I'm going to go buy something from the C Store just because of this. Positive reinforcement, baby!
Career Officer
# 17
12-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner View Post
Don't sell this small but far-reaching change short, guys.This is a great boon for foundry authors as well.

Many people who never bothered before will start giving foundry missions a go. A lot of them will just power grind the shorter missions but I have no doubt we will get new UGC adhearents as well.

There is now a reasonable reward for playing our missions. Hell, I'm all about the foundry and I'm sure even I'll play more player missions now that I can combine it with my dil grinding. This is good stuff.

In fact, you know what? I'm going to go buy something from the C Store just because of this. Positive reinforcement, baby!
Yeap overall this is a great change to the daily/mission. Haven't felt this good about the Foundry in a while.

Check out my Foundry missions:
Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
The Defenders - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
Captain
# 18
12-13-2012, 03:41 AM
I just saw the change, and I'm happy with it - it'll be a good compromise.

As some have said, now people only have to give 15 mins to earn their rewards more people might be inclined to try foundry out - some would grind the same mission over and over just for rewards but some would be entertained enough to play different missions and enjoy the content.

As I enjoy the content already, I will get more rewards for playing more missions - in theory I could use it as the main source of all my currency apart from Omega and Rommie marks. And if I'm in the mood for just a few standalone missions I can use the cool down for the odd FA or STF.

It's a win win in my eyes, and I'm very happy with it.
Rihannsu
# 19
12-13-2012, 04:55 AM
Awesome change. Far more than i ever expected.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-13-2012, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
Awesome change. Far more than i ever expected.
Yes, I agree..... more ways to get Fleet Marks is a welcome change.

I am still pushing that we just have Marks instead of the 3 flavors we have now.

but this change definitely helps.

Thx
Locutus