Survivor of Romulus
# 21
12-13-2012, 05:47 AM
I guess I'm by myself in being skeptical that this will be more positive than negative for the Foundry.

To my mind it will be bringing in a lot of people who have absolutely no respect for what we do, all those people in the threads in the general forum who said we are a "waste of time" and why would they ever want to just read someone's "fanwank" etc etc. The first change in the daily got rid of those people, but you can bet they'll be coming in huge numbers if they can make up to 46k dilithium a day.

What I can see is these players coming in droves and picking up the first mission they can find that doesn't have the red text, probably without even reading the mission description. God help those of us who haven't put in clearly where the mission starts. Then they'll just go and F through every dialogue, faceroll every mob and sprint to the end to do it all as fast as possible.

So then:
-Puzzle? wtf 1 star!
-Too much dialogue to F through? wtf 1 star!
-More than 2 maps to load? wtf 1 star!

AND on top of this the patch notes say nothing about bug fixes and lets face it if you look at the bug forum we have some serious problems:
-Shuttle noise? wtf 1 star!
-Boff pathing? wtf 1 star!
-Disappearing NPC? wtf 1 star!

I know some of you will say "just ignore them" and I'd be more than happy to except these will tank the overall mission ratings of you good and honest Foundry authors who made real story missions that are not for these grinders in the first place (which they don't give a crap about). Your missions will fall to the bottom of the list and be hard to find for good honest players who really get what we're all about.

PLUS we'll start seeing missions again designed to be the minimum requirements for the daily, clogging up the system with the same crap we were all so happy to see gone.

Trust me I do not like being this negative. If I'm wrong and this turns out as good for the Foundry as you all think it will I will be ecstatic and I'll go leave tips on all your missions.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Rihannsu
# 22
12-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Well, Drogyn, you're probably right. But.... it's still better than how it was before.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 23
12-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
I guess I'm by myself in being skeptical that this will be more positive than negative for the Foundry.

To my mind it will be bringing in a lot of people who have absolutely no respect for what we do, all those people in the threads in the general forum who said we are a "waste of time" and why would they ever want to just read someone's "fanwank" etc etc. The first change in the daily got rid of those people, but you can bet they'll be coming in huge numbers if they can make up to 46k dilithium a day.

What I can see is these players coming in droves and picking up the first mission they can find that doesn't have the red text, probably without even reading the mission description. God help those of us who haven't put in clearly where the mission starts. Then they'll just go and F through every dialogue, faceroll every mob and sprint to the end to do it all as fast as possible.

So then:
-Puzzle? wtf 1 star!
-Too much dialogue to F through? wtf 1 star!
-More than 2 maps to load? wtf 1 star!

AND on top of this the patch notes say nothing about bug fixes and lets face it if you look at the bug forum we have some serious problems:
-Shuttle noise? wtf 1 star!
-Boff pathing? wtf 1 star!
-Disappearing NPC? wtf 1 star!

I know some of you will say "just ignore them" and I'd be more than happy to except these will tank the overall mission ratings of you good and honest Foundry authors who made real story missions that are not for these grinders in the first place (which they don't give a crap about). Your missions will fall to the bottom of the list and be hard to find for good honest players who really get what we're all about.

PLUS we'll start seeing missions again designed to be the minimum requirements for the daily, clogging up the system with the same crap we were all so happy to see gone.

Trust me I do not like being this negative. If I'm wrong and this turns out as good for the Foundry as you all think it will I will be ecstatic and I'll go leave tips on all your missions.
The thing is that these folks who grind and grind and grind can still make more dil running two 15 minutes stfs (with the omega mark trade in for an additional 500 dil). They won't have to read or think or explore. They know exactly what needs to be done in a given amount of time. They don't have to traverse sector space to begin their grind.

I see this as rewarding folks seeking a different kind of content: story. I don't think we'll see an invasion of grinders. The "earn this!" PvE interface that they use has no foundry and the foundry interface doesn't explain how to earn the dilithium playing foundry. Not saying that this tribal knowledge is a good thing, but it's not exactly going to funnel the gen playerbase into the foundry. Rather it seems to give folks who enjoy story and know how to find missions an additional incentive to play ugc rather than farm snowballs.

Even I looked at that wrapper and thought, "My god, it's going to take me 3 hours." Now, I can say goodbye to grind and still contribute to my starbase. This is a great day for me. I'm probably never, ever going to play the repetitive Cryptic content again. I may not get 8000 dilithium a day, but I'm going to have fun just playing ugc and feel rewarded for it.
Survivor of Romulus
# 24
12-13-2012, 10:24 AM
I hope you're right KF my old friend, I really hope you're right.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Ensign
# 25
12-13-2012, 11:54 AM
While I agree there will be some "path of least resistance" players latching on to the quickest and easiest Foundry mission that qualifies for the IOR daily. What I'll be doing is a little different.

I have four VA and I'll find some decent length (read non-minimal time) mission to run for the Daily. Best case scenario will be finding a different one for each character that suits their character type (Tac, Eng, Sci) and current starship so to avoid grinding the same mission four times just to get the Daily completed.

Once that is done, since these toons are level capped, and I have already been through Nukara (mind numbingly boring after a short while), Deferi daily (almost as bad), what I will do is play one of the longer UGC missions. If I like that mission style and mechanics, I'll look to do other missions by the same author. This will keep things fairly fresh, still get the marks and dil to help out my fleet and not feel like a grind as much.

This is also my last workweek for the year, so I'll have plenty of time to get this rolling. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Foundry Authors are able to do with the mission toolset. Who knows, doing this might provide a creative spark that will cause me to try my hand at creating a mission or two. We'll see.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-13-2012, 12:04 PM
As a "grinder" I am hoping there is a Foundry author out there who can throw together several 15 minute episodes that can be done by a team of 5 as part of a regular grind session.

Until this change a grind type player never had any incentive to play a Foundry mission, but for 50 fleet marks instead of 75 Omega marks, if I am getting the same dilithium reward and spending the same amount of time I would otherwise in a STF then my whole group is excited, after all we now have legit alternatives to the same 8 STFs over and over.

he question though is what missions are there that fills that role? I'm in the 99% of players who have no idea what those missions are named.
Captain
# 27
12-13-2012, 12:49 PM
I think this is fair, with the slight edge that the 30 minute timer is a think I am wary of.

However, I'm willing to give this a shot and see how it tests. There is a fair chance those grinders will only go up to the 8k daily cap, if they do that, and will probably end up finding themselves in their own hidey-hole missions. The numbers on Cryptic's end will be the clincher.

If this does lead to something like KF's prediction, we all win.

((Also, a lot of us getting nailed by people speed running through our missions via the f key, if the reward was based on the actual time they spent in a mission, and that red text is just a warning if the avg says it's too low... wouldn't that solve the problem of speed running down our missions? If that isn't how it works already and people haven't noticed. We've only been at this a few weeks.))