Captain
# 1 Balancing for skill
12-16-2012, 06:07 PM
So fantastic many good points in this video, that makes perfect sense!!

It too debates the reason why players who rely on the same skillset and/or ability over and over in the end will hit a brick wall and fail big time! And lastly it displayes some issues the devs here REALLY NEED to look at.
Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
Career Officer
# 2
12-16-2012, 06:30 PM
The most powerful stuff in this game is grind to t4 in omega then strap on some trics and ams then tank tell you get lucky lol
Career Officer
# 3
12-17-2012, 03:50 AM
Three things -

1) A monkey could do STO's PVE content, it's only when fleet mark missions and STFs come along that a plan needs to be used and team work displayed. Cryptic needs to give players warning when PVP gets considered. Right now you can PVP from a very early level, theres no direction to it, theres no warning, you just queue up and warp in. And at endgame a new player is very unlikely to survive due to the skill difference.

2) as the video shows, the noob tube is an early safety net for new players to survive in a much more hostile and fast paced place then they've been before. STO doesn't have this. You go in and die. Much like ground STFs at the beginning, they made the Borg adapt to weapon fire, put in an item to solve this for a limited time, then walked away. They never told new players about remodulation, they didn't put them into the tutorial where Borg were fought and didn't adapt, they just assumed that everyone could mind read and do it. What we got if you were pugging was months of ppl using their guns all the way through not realising they were useless, or trying to run STFs with a sword they found and creamed over for its "awesomeness"

3) Dev, your mother and i have had a chat, we think your watching waaay too many Penny Arcade videos
Captain
# 4
12-17-2012, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquitaine985 View Post
Three things -

1) A monkey could do STO's PVE content, it's only when fleet mark missions and STFs come along that a plan needs to be used and team work displayed. Cryptic needs to give players warning when PVP gets considered. Right now you can PVP from a very early level, theres no direction to it, theres no warning, you just queue up and warp in. And at endgame a new player is very unlikely to survive due to the skill difference.

2) as the video shows, the noob tube is an early safety net for new players to survive in a much more hostile and fast paced place then they've been before. STO doesn't have this. You go in and die. Much like ground STFs at the beginning, they made the Borg adapt to weapon fire, put in an item to solve this for a limited time, then walked away. They never told new players about remodulation, they didn't put them into the tutorial where Borg were fought and didn't adapt, they just assumed that everyone could mind read and do it. What we got if you were pugging was months of ppl using their guns all the way through not realising they were useless, or trying to run STFs with a sword they found and creamed over for its "awesomeness"

3) Dev, your mother and i have had a chat, we think your watching waaay too many Penny Arcade videos

1. Something they could change by rewarding progressive pvp participation. Its not THAT hard if they only bother to commit some attention towards it. Hell, there is not even a single pvp tutorial in the game!

2. They could give new players a toy to play with which could give them a certain positive handicap. Its doable if some attention was given towards pvp.

3. You did? Stop this consipracy towards me! Its for the STO communties own good to know better!
Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
Commander
# 5
12-17-2012, 05:33 AM
As an old SF veteran I really enjoyed the video

When Street Fighter 2 hit the arcades I became an avid SF player, and I never stopped till Street Fighter 4 came out... now since my reflexes are not the same anymore I play PVP Beat'em ups only on rare occasions...

The fascinating aspect of SF2 was the near perfect PVP balance in conjunction with having the possibility of diverse play styles. That was the strength of the SF franchise. SF2 was the game that basically put Capcom on the map. I'd say Capcoms investment into balancing the game paid off.

Coming from that background and also never having played an MMO before, I am
aghast at some of the deficiencies of STO PVP. Dunno, maybe I am spoiled due to my experiences with other games....

The sad thing is though, when 2 teams duke it out and playing with clean setups, PVP in this game is maybe one of the best gaming experiences ever. I sincerly hope Cryptic will change their attitude towards PVP some day.

Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some pew pew PVP action!