Career Officer
# 1 Winter Race no Longer Fun
12-14-2012, 07:08 AM
Last Year, it was fun just trying to stay up, and if you made it to the end you got points.. now you have to beat a guy? Really? I thought that is what the PVP version is for (which is cool so there is a choice)..

Thanks for making what should have been a relaxing lark.. into another frusterating experience.... sigh.
Captain
# 2
12-14-2012, 07:18 AM
what's that about? the guy, is that the NPC that can be beaten if you get a disconnect? (yeah happened)

no srsly if this post is about the race against the NPC for the 40 Q pictures, and it is a complain about the difficulty (which is kind of not really clear, even after reading the post 3 times) then you should probably google a guide for the race instead of complaining about it.
The NPC race is porbably the easiest thing there is, there is really nothing that easy in sto as the race.
Go pro or go home
Career Officer
# 3
12-14-2012, 07:19 AM
...Didn't you have to beat a guy last year too?
@HyperLimited
Community Moderator
# 4
12-14-2012, 07:23 AM
For the "Fastest Race on Ice",

I've been disqualified for sliding off the track plenty, but only "lost" once. I've had other people on the track with me who got ahead of me and I still "won".

All I can say is, every time I've run it successfully I'm the only one signaling the race official to start.

I came in 3rd on "Fast and Flurrious" once. Every other time I either slid off the track and disqualified, or just plain came in after. Now that you can get something for just completing it, I might run it more often.

Oh, and don't forget that the "lemming plunge" over the cliff doesn't work anymore; the loophole has been closed according to the Devs.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-14-2012, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I've been disqualified for sliding off the track plenty, but only "lost" once. I've had other people on the track with me who got ahead of me and I still "won".

Yeah, the only times I've lost were from falling outside the bounds the first couple tries.

OP: Have you tried doing a dodge/roll on the sharp turns, to stop your sliding and change your direction? It's incredibly handy. With that technique, I've been able to keep sprinting most of the rest of the time, which lets you gain lots of distance on the NPC. Even if you only do it on the longer straights. Hope this helps.

(also, you are in "shooter" mode, right?)
Empire Veteran
# 6
12-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicformovies View Post
Last Year, it was fun just trying to stay up, and if you made it to the end you got points.. now you have to beat a guy? Really? I thought that is what the PVP version is for (which is cool so there is a choice)..

Thanks for making what should have been a relaxing lark.. into another frusterating experience.... sigh.
Have Q turn you into a Devidian and fly around the corners and sprint through the straight-aways. You should win everytime as long as you do not make a mistake.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Commander
# 7
12-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiralyn View Post
Yeah, the only times I've lost were from falling outside the bounds the first couple tries.

OP: Have you tried doing a dodge/roll on the sharp turns, to stop your sliding and change your direction? It's incredibly handy. With that technique, I've been able to keep sprinting most of the rest of the time, which lets you gain lots of distance on the NPC. Even if you only do it on the longer straights. Hope this helps.

(also, you are in "shooter" mode, right?)
I have been learning more about ground movement in this race than nearly any other mission or event in the game. I wish more missions integrated this varied movement environment.

I use "jump" and take my finger off the forward direction key to control direction, speed and how much I slide. Sometimes I stop completely before sprinting. All done in shooter mode.

I won my first race easily and the next few days I ran it 6 times each day or more to win. Lately I'm winning on the first or second try.
Joined STO in September 2010.
Captain
# 8
12-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
Have Q turn you into a Devidian and fly around the corners and sprint through the straight-aways. You should win everytime as long as you do not make a mistake.
I think they killed the ability to race in one of the alternate forms Q changes you into with the last patch. No idea why. I guess people were having too much fun with it.
Rihannsu
# 9
12-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypl View Post
...Didn't you have to beat a guy last year too?
Yes. its exactly the same.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 10
12-14-2012, 11:30 AM
I think some of us take for granted how difficult the race is for those who have just started as we ran it countless times last year, and have run it over a hundred times so far this year!

You do get used to it and in fact the only real way to have problems this year is to run while the snowman event is on as those pesky snowmen seem to take immense glee at keeping you frozen on the start line