Ensign
# 11
12-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirlettia View Post
I think some of us take for granted how difficult the race is for those who have just started as we ran it countless times last year, and have run it over a hundred times so far this year!

You do get used to it and in fact the only real way to have problems this year is to run while the snowman event is on as those pesky snowmen seem to take immense glee at keeping you frozen on the start line
That's fixed as well.
Commander
# 12
12-14-2012, 11:41 AM
i think the winter wonderland is a lot of fun and a nice break from STFs, bases and the rep system.

the races are good too imho and i am glad they fixed the "shortcut" on the fastest race. i think it is more fun now.

racing for Q's portraits seemed incredibly hard at first, but jump now and then in the right places and it is an easy win everytime once you get the hang of it.

i also like the snowmen fight and getting some good drops from that.

the boots are great for ice skating. just mindless fun.

you can also pick up several accolades in winter wonderland.

i think they did a good job on this.
http://startrek.44thfleet.com/
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirlettia View Post
I think some of us take for granted how difficult the race is for those who have just started as we ran it countless times last year, and have run it over a hundred times so far this year!
This year is my first time running it and I found it to be rather easy once I got used to the slippery track. Just need to know how to drift, roll to stop your momentum, and line yourself up to make a straight line through the curvy parts.
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
12-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
Yes. its exactly the same.
Agreed. I did it last year and was exactly the same format and same NPCs. You just need to practice a bit more...dont give up just because you dont know how. Read some more about it or ask around. People around there who do it daily will be glad to help you or show you how. I have fun with both the dailies and the fast and the flurrios...just wish that cool down timer would be less than 20hr
Captain
# 15
12-14-2012, 01:17 PM
I like it and a change from my normal gaming I do on STO. The race is still a challenge even though I'm racing the comp. I gone off course a couple of time. Here lately I won it on the first try.

Want a challenge? Try to beat your time from the day before. That is what I usually do. See how fast I can do it. I created my own challenge for the race.
Captain
# 16
12-14-2012, 02:11 PM
First couple of tries at this race it was frustrating and lost a bunch in a row. Once you get the tricks though, you'll leave the NPC far behind. Its kind of a 'ya get it or ya don't' sort of thing.

Hit 'R' as soon as the countdown starts so you don't waste any fraction of a second. Sprint on the longer straightaways and near-straightaways, hugging the minor turns close enough that it may as well be a straight shot. Start turning early so you'll have momentum in the direction you want to go prior to getting to the actual turns. If you start losing control of your footing and need to move in the opposite direction, especially in the 90-or-tighter turns, use the Kirk Roll in the direction you want to go. Rolling costs you a little speed and time on the recovery, but its worth it to maintain control. If you're sliding off the track, again the Kirk Roll will save you.

Once it clicks, you'll be like 'damn how did I ever let this get to me?' G'luck!
Empire Veteran
# 17
12-14-2012, 03:37 PM
I still fail at the race a couple of times a day, mostly because i get out of the track or because "server not responding" froze me like an idiot (and it's happening more and more these days). It's not that "easy", it's tricky and definitely not designed to handle the horrible servers the game has.

It's far from being as interesting as the new STFs but into the hive doesn't give a ship and the race does, so my game times goes here first. I'm still wondering why the devs always add the poorest rewards to the best content in game and the best incentives to the lamest one, but i guess it's a part of their evil plan to make us play the boring content addictively while we carefully step away from funny instances.
Rihannsu
# 18
12-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerwalk0769 View Post
I have been learning more about ground movement in this race than nearly any other mission or event in the game. I wish more missions integrated this varied movement environment.

I use "jump" and take my finger off the forward direction key to control direction, speed and how much I slide. Sometimes I stop completely before sprinting. All done in shooter mode.

I won my first race easily and the next few days I ran it 6 times each day or more to win. Lately I'm winning on the first or second try.
Yeah, I've run it soooo many times I can drift most of the corners. that and I memorized which sections of snow count as part of the track. It's much easier when you can avoid sliding entirely. It takes a lot of precision, but you can sprint on the edges for most of the track if you do it just right, thus avoiding most of the sliding.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 19 How to Win at the Footrace
12-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Guy, guy, guys, mutigendered clones and the occasional gal...

STOP SLIDING. Here's how to win. Hop. Yes, I said 'hop'. Go to your inner Epohh.

Run fast (shift-run). Release the keys, and hop (spacebar). you will come to a complete, non-sliding stop. Realign, repeat. You won't slide. You will stay reasonably ahead of your competition.

Admiral 'Hoppity' Thrax

Last edited by ddesjardins; 12-14-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
12-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerwalk0769 View Post
I have been learning more about ground movement in this race than nearly any other mission or event in the game. I wish more missions integrated this varied movement environment.
One of the Romulan chain of missions has a low gravity environment. It's pretty wild hopping around like a rabbit.