Captain
# 21
12-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesjardins View Post
Guy, guy, guys, mutigendered clones and the occasional gal...

STOP SLIDING. Here's how to win. Hop. Yes, I said 'hop'. Go to your inner Epohh.

Run fast (shift-run). Release the keys, and hop (spacebar). you will come to a complete, non-sliding stop. Realign, repeat. You won't slide. You will stay reasonably ahead of your competition.

Admiral 'Hoppity' Thrax
Sometimes I'll still do it without this, just to add some fun...

...but yeah, I thought this thread was going to be about how it's not fun because of how easy it is.

Run in a straight line to a turn. Hop. You stop. Realign for the next straight line. Run. Hop. Stop. Realign. It's basically a series of straight lines, hopping to stop, turning, and running in another straight line. The NPC you're racing won't get anywhere near you. You'll even pass the NPC from the guy racing in front of you. You can actually stop to reply to something you've been reading in chat because you're that far ahead of the guy you're racing.

It's kind of gotten tedious.

So like I said, sometimes I'll just run it normally because it can be funny with some of the sliding... or running back to let the NPC take the lead and then passing them again.
Vice Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
V.S.S. Oracle, D'Kyr-class Science Vessel
Captain
# 22
12-14-2012, 06:47 PM
I totally agree on the sliding part - it's fun. The devs added a few more different stumbles and 'whoops' - or I missed them last year. In any case - it's a lot of fun.

Skating with a Klingon.... 'KLINGONS ON ICE' is a LOT of fun. Maybe next year they will let us play hockey!
Career Officer
# 23
12-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicformovies View Post
Last Year, it was fun just trying to stay up, and if you made it to the end you got points.. now you have to beat a guy? Really? I thought that is what the PVP version is for (which is cool so there is a choice)..

Thanks for making what should have been a relaxing lark.. into another frusterating experience.... sigh.
The individual race is exactly the same as last year except the reward is different. Last year we got boxes that had the decorations now we get that from the snow fights. I don't know what you were playing last year but if you feel like this year is different then you didn't play STO last year.
Captain
# 24
12-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirlettia View Post
I think some of us take for granted how difficult the race is for those who have just started as we ran it countless times last year, and have run it over a hundred times so far this year!

You do get used to it and in fact the only real way to have problems this year is to run while the snowman event is on as those pesky snowmen seem to take immense glee at keeping you frozen on the start line
This year was my first time and I've never come close to losing. OP is just terrible at video games. Hell, I've even lapped the people in front of me who were winning their races. I don't think they could possibly make it easier.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-15-2012, 09:26 AM
How in hell can you NOT "win" the solo race? I haven't "lost" yet, you know you don't have to sprint at all. Now PVP race you going need to and do some tricks to win that one.

BTW I wasn't here last year .
Commander
# 26
12-15-2012, 09:42 AM
The race against the NSC is so easy that it isn't even fun anymore -.-
I hope next year we get faster NSC to race against!!! Because the race itself is a cool idea :-)

The race against players is kind boring. Probably because most of the other players are just useless at any game that is faster than solitaire :-P

The track is very interesting but a little bit short. Pepping it up with obstacles which you have to dodge under them would be fun :-) Nice to see that everyone gets a reward, keeps the motivation up.

If you have problems at the races, just try to hop and/or dodge. Get some boots. They make you faster but beware you slide even more :-)

Good luck and have fun :-)
Rihannsu
# 27
12-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantris View Post
This year was my first time and I've never come close to losing. OP is just terrible at video games. Hell, I've even lapped the people in front of me who were winning their races. I don't think they could possibly make it easier.
Now THAT is a fun challenge! I've done it and it takes SKILL to pass a human player who started before you did.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 28
12-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Here is an idea. Sometimes an NPC opponent won't show up at all in the solo race. It may take a few tries, but as soon as the race starts go off the track and back up to the gazebo to restart it. Then you can just take your sweet time to complete it with no worries.
Starfleet Veteran
# 29
12-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Your best bet is to run the track, until you're familiar with it. Get used to "drifting" as another poster put it. I've never tried the hopping thing, and I'm not sure if the Devedian thing still works. I have 9 toons to do each day, and most of the time, I'm not racing an opponent. You can jog the entire track, if you're the only racer, and even if you do have an opponent, the only time he ever gets near you, is after the far side hairpin, just before the bridge, where you'll slide onto the lake if you're not careful. Opponents start after you and, for the most part, are alot slower, except for the humpback, beaver lookin' thing. As another poster said, you can also just keep porkin' the race at the start, until you get a solo race. The only time I ever have to restart is when the game gets laggy, and rubber banding sets in, which blows. Once you know the track it's pretty easy.
Rihannsu
# 30
12-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilczewski View Post
Your best bet is to run the track, until you're familiar with it. Get used to "drifting" as another poster put it. I've never tried the hopping thing, and I'm not sure if the Devedian thing still works. I have 9 toons to do each day, and most of the time, I'm not racing an opponent. You can jog the entire track, if you're the only racer, and even if you do have an opponent, the only time he ever gets near you, is after the far side hairpin, just before the bridge, where you'll slide onto the lake if you're not careful. Opponents start after you and, for the most part, are alot slower, except for the humpback, beaver lookin' thing. As another poster said, you can also just keep porkin' the race at the start, until you get a solo race. The only time I ever have to restart is when the game gets laggy, and rubber banding sets in, which blows. Once you know the track it's pretty easy.
The fastest three I've noticed: that furry critter you mentioned, the small Breen, and the ice spider.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.