Captain
# 11
12-14-2012, 10:59 PM
i'm pretty sure a 2x aux2bat1 build with 2x technician doffs will grant you overall more dps on that ship + the shorter boff cooldowns will greatly increase dps on that particular ship even further.

power transfer rate does not decrease the drain from weapons fire, only that from BO. If you feel it does, that is one thing...data collected over the course of time by many, many people suggests otherwise. Also the tooltip indicates no such benefit, it exactly explains what it does...and recovering normal powerdrain is not part of it.

i would also go all beams, or atleast use only 1 torp front (wide angle would be great)

your build is solid, however on that particular ship with so many engi boff slots, an aux2bat build is more powerfull, but you need the technician doffs to make it work.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 12-14-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Commander
# 12
12-14-2012, 11:53 PM
I personally use a 2 aux to bat build on mine but I am also well aware that it doesnt have nearly the staying power of the other builds I've had. That said nothing touches the dps of of that things alpha with the DEM dof. BO3 and a cannon fire ability and it never drops below 100, things just melt.

Their hideously expensive but the Ax2Sif doff are great if you have that power on your ship.

Before I changed to the 2 a2b build I ran 2 eps1 and ax2s ax2d rsp and ewp3 for my engi powers and it was rather tanky. If you play with a team a lot swap rsp for extends.
sci is pick between HE TB and TSS, retrain your sci Boff a few times to see which combo works for you. Though HE is near overpowered for how many affects it takes off your ship.

If your gonna stick with torps forward and rear get eh wide angle or some of the rep store torps. A wide angle forward and an omega plasma rear plus the adapted Omega 2 set piece when you can get it would rock.
Captain
# 13
12-15-2012, 12:35 AM
If you can drop the field generator consoles for something better, a cruiser shouldn't need them. If you still want them to be defensive grab +Shield Emitter consoles to boost shield heal amounts as it helps out both you (EPTS, RSP) and your team (TSS). Or even put the new rommy console in their. I'd also aim for the omega torp for your front torp as the 2 piece set bonus will be helpful for you a bit and that torpedo has good spike.
Captain
# 14
12-15-2012, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I'll play with the EPS flow reg console just to confirm or disprove my personal findings, if I find it's not worth the slot I'll either take the weapon boost console or a monotanuim console, both of which would be helpful in their given ways.

The Omega torp has been on my agenda since they made it work with the borg console at present the plan is to run 1 fore and 1 aft (for reasons of symmetry).

aux2bat I'm not so keen on as it involves giving up at least 1 helpful doff and involves losing DEM which I use to prop up BO (which I follow up with either an EPS power transfer or a weapon battery), which I use to great effect (23k to a tac cube in 1 volley).

I might play with the idea of running an emitter console however I can't afford to lose too much in max shield cap due to borg damage output but I do need to find a balance between cap and regen capability.
Captain
# 15
12-15-2012, 05:44 AM
Go with the Monotanium. She is god in STFs. Also just useful overall. And capacity is also king in stfs, since it doesn't matter how fast you regen if you lose all your shields in one hit. Shortly followed by your hull. Shortly followed by your life.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 16
12-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Ok, I ran a new test and disproved my previous findings regarding the EPS flow reg console so I've swapped it out for a monotanium (Mk XI Purple), I'm also currently using a shield emitter array console (Standard as my fleet's embassy isn't stocked).
Captain
# 17
12-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
Ok, I'm flying a fleet Excelsior as an engineer and thusfar it's been very successful however I recently made a change and was wondering if I could do better.

Weapons
Fore: 3x tetryon BA, 1 torp
Aft: As fore

Equipment
Full MACO Mk XII

Consoles
Eng: EPS Flow Reg mk XII (Blue), 2x Neutronium Mk XI (Blue), Borg
Sci: 2x Field Gen mk XI (Blue)
tac: 4x Tetryon Pulse Gen Mk XI (Blue)

Boffs
LTC Tac: TT1, FAW2/BO2 (Depending on what I'm fighting), AP:B2
CMDR Eng: EPtW1, RSP1, Aux2SIF2, EWP3
LT Eng: ET1, DEM1
Ens Eng: EPtS1
LT Sci: HE1, TSS2

Doffs
3X DCE (EPtX cd reduction), Warp Core Eng (EPtX Power Boost), Systems Eng (DEM Power reduction) (All Purple)

Power Levels
W: 100
S: 50
E: 25
A: 25

Right now I'm looking for advice about how I can tweak this build to squeeze those last few points of DPS out of it
as above I'll probably get a stinkeye, but i would replace one fore BA with a DBB, maybe two. if you HAVE to have 6 arrays for broadside dump the rear torp. dump DEM for another EPtS. I'd also experiment with replacing APB with HYT3 or possibly TS3
Captain
# 18
12-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteguy904 View Post
if you HAVE to have 6 arrays for broadside dump the rear torp. dump DEM for another EPtS
I'm afraid I don't follow... 2EPtS and 1 EPtW would hurt DPS more than boost it surely, also my DEM gives me 8 seconds of NI every 2 minutes which is also really useful...

On top of this losing AP:B would hurt my DPS all the more as it is my primary DPS booster...

In short, I don't see how this would help...
Captain
# 19
12-16-2012, 02:27 AM
Quote:
as above I'll probably get a stinkeye, but i would replace one fore BA with a DBB, maybe two. if you HAVE to have 6 arrays for broadside dump the rear torp. dump DEM for another EPtS. I'd also experiment with replacing APB with HYT3 or possibly TS3
what you suggest there is basically a front oriented torpedo cruiser, but in my opinion the excelsior is not really suited for that build. DBB always means you need to attack head on, and therefore the beam arrays in the rear are useless.

i run a tac oddy with that, but 3 turrets and the cutting beam in the rear. the odysses 5 tac boff slots make a more tactical oriented build possible, suited to support torpedos and energy weapons...the excelsior doesn't in my opinion (either beams or single cannons)
3 Tac boff slots allow only certain "must have" powers, like TT, APx, and corresponding ability for your main weapons.
Go pro or go home
Captain
# 20
12-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Actually, I had been very successful with an Excel with DBB/Turrets/Torps'. Its not a bad setup if you can work a good enough turn rate and think two steps ahead of the target.