Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
Ok I am not looking for spoilers, not that I don't understand the main theme of the film. But I want to know:

A. Was it good to to you?

B. Did you like the 3D effects?

I will be going out tomorrow with my kids to see it. My wife is going to see Twilight lol That's ok more popcorn for me and my boys. lol

So what did you really think?
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
12-14-2012, 11:26 AM
See the 2d version
My cousin saw the 3d and had a bad attack of nausea during a couple of scenes
Captain
# 3
12-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Hmmm I heard about the getting ill on some parts of the film, but I was hoping that fixed that for the final release. oh well, I will keep a bag close by just in case. lol
Empire Veteran
# 4
12-14-2012, 11:56 AM
There are a number of fast-motion scenes, so 3D is a bit risky if you get nausous easily.

But on the thread's note:

A) Yes, I did Had the same epic touch, attention to detail, and overall good/great scenes as the Lord of the Rings trilogy that came before it (or after it). It follows the book pretty closely, with a few small exceptions/additions. The biggest difference is the different characterizations of the 13 dwarves, when in the book most of them were just... there. It's a big improvement though imo

B) No. For me and my family, 3D is nothing but distracting from the film's content, regardless of whether it's done well or badly.

If you loved the Lord of the Rings, you'll love The Hobbit just as easily. It may be split into 3 movies (2 of which are the book; third is still undetermined), but it's pretty great regardless.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.

Last edited by trek21; 12-14-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Career Officer
# 5
12-14-2012, 12:50 PM
I watched this in 2D yesterday, and I thought it was well worth the money. Didn't feel the need to see it in 3D as it didn't seem like a '3D' film (if that makes sense). Some films, such as Avatar and others that are filmed for 3D, great, but the Hobbit Trilogy looks just as good without. ...well, the first film of the Trilogy does; I've not seen the other two yet.

But yeah, it was a solid film, well worth the watch.
Rihannsu
# 6
12-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Loved it. I only watched the 2D. But it was like slipping on an old pair of shoes. the magic, the scale, the charm was all there. cant wait for the next part.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Cryptic Studios Team
# 7
12-15-2012, 02:15 PM
I had a Hobbitses party. People came over, we ate pizza and watched the 1977 animated Hobbit, then went to the theatre to catch the new one.

Very enjoyable overall.

But it was a little surreal to watch the whole book play out in 1 hour and 17 minutes, and then watch only 1/3 of the book in 3 hours. . . :::scratches taco:::
Only YOU can prevent forum fires!

Empire Veteran
# 8
12-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
I had a Hobbitses party. People came over, we ate pizza and watched the 1977 animated Hobbit, then went to the theatre to catch the new one.

Very enjoyable overall.

But it was a little surreal to watch the whole book play out in 1 hour and 17 minutes, and then watch only 1/3 of the book in 3 hours. . . :::scratches taco:::
Actually, it was more 1/2 of the movie If I recall correctly, the whole Mirkwood stuff and beyond was after the halfway point. And if I read my facts right, this movie and the next one detail the events of the Hobbit. The third movie will deal with more of the in-between Hobbit and LotR stuff, I think

And the animated version, still own it myself Very dated by now, but good memories
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
12-15-2012, 02:52 PM
It was filmed just down the road a bit from me.. I will go see it this week if I can get some spare moneys going on.
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
12-15-2012, 03:34 PM
A.) I loved it.

B.) I'm blind to 3D effects anyway, so I didn't notice anything.