Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Captain
# 11
12-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Now I'm worried I'll make missions that will make folks hate me. Hrm

Ah well!
Captain
# 12
12-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Something I've run into too often and think it may need saying: small corridors. Yes they look nicer and a heck of a lot more accurate for small ship interiors and claustrophobic caves and such. However when you have your boffs with you, their pathfinding AI just doesn't deal well with small areas. Small hallways they run between rooms trying to 'form up' and aggro everything or get lost. Small bridges they fall off the sides and loop around. Small doors they can't seem to figure out how to go through. And on and on and on. If the captain is all alone, tight spaces work fine, but it otherwise it seems like some mission designers get so focused on aesthetics they forget about the game's mechanics.
Captain
# 13
12-14-2012, 08:59 PM
On the difficulty thing that will be impossible to please everyone.

Keep in mind the average PuG takes nearly 15 minutes to do ISE, the easiest of the space stfs. The really good groups can do CSE in under 5 minutes the fomerly most difficult one.

The disparity between a good build as far as boffs and equipment choices go and a bad build is so large it is unreal. Then take into account the extra 10-20 % effectiveness gear can give you and yeah.
Captain
# 14
12-14-2012, 09:00 PM
My experiences so far?

Two "Take that, Cryptic!" missions starting off turned me off for a while. But soon I found a bunch of missions that push the engine to its limits. And a lot if short, imaginative missions that don't read like I'm playing someone else's character.

The interactive novels are a bore, but they're not common enough to matter.

75% good so far.
# 15
12-14-2012, 10:15 PM
I suppose I might tend to be on the fence about it.

Back in season 6 I did the clickies, true, I did the occasional mission for a change.

When season 7 hit, I stopped doing Foundry completely, not because of the exploit being taken out, but because the time involved wasn't worth the reward, and, most importantly:

You had to do THREE missions for it.

That was the biggest turn off to me. Not so much the time needed, but just the fact that I had to do three of em, when I didn't always want to do 3 anyways.

Now though, I can do one mission for 20-30 minutes, get a reward, and move on. If I wanna do more, than ok, I can do more.

I'm not a fan of the super-long missions. Not so much that I haven't done em, but the fact that after an hour of the same mission, one tends to get sick of it. That for me, goes for anything in the game, not just Foundry. So if it only needs to be about 30 minutes, than alright, I don't mind doing that for some dil and FMs.

Captain
# 16
12-15-2012, 12:26 AM
I haven't done a lot of Foundry missions, and I'm more about creation than playing them.
However, I don't like when I see the Foundry limits. For example when I have a pop up saying "designed for your captain only, leave your away team behind", or see someone famous with another face (Q comes to mind). I understand that's the editor limits, and not really the creator fault, but I don't like it. Doesn't mean the mission is bad, but it break the immersion for me.
In time Cryptic will probably add what's lacking, but for now, that's what I dislike.
Career Officer
# 17
12-15-2012, 02:33 AM
Well done to the devs, this change is great and my fed toons love playing a little rescue mission called 'The Corsiars'. Great mission with space combat and a great little story, a neat twist in one encounter as well. Can't remember the author but better than a lot of the patrol mission.
Captain
# 18
12-15-2012, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
There has definitely been an increase in loading time for map transitions. We have no idea why and it's not something we (Foundry authors) can control. Hopefully, someone at Cryptic knows why Foundry load times are stretching into the unreasonable.
This is just a guess on my end, but I think everytime someone opens a new foundry instance the map has to be loaded on the STO server as well. And as more and more people try foundry missions because of the good reward, the server is really hurting under that load. Could be wrong, but it makes a lot of sense to me.

I've just started with foundry missions, so I'm not ready to say much about specific missions yet. But this IS the kind of reward I was waiting for to dig into the foundry content. Great job Cryptic, now I'm just praying that people won't grind too many 15 minute missions so Cryptic pulls the plug on those rewards again.
Lieutenant
# 19
12-15-2012, 03:40 AM
Quote:
We can't really test it, whether it's hard or easy. For example, my own mission in my sig... well, I can't even complete it myself, but I'm getting reviews that it is far too easy for you guys and gals with all your gear.

We just sort of have to aim at the average player or else we'll get one-stars for being way too hard.
Thats a good way to be actually, aim for the average player. They can always up their difficulty level for a mission if they find it too easy. Ive been playing a mission called battleship royal lately, where at the end the author asks us to post how many times we died. Having done the mission on normal first, i thought, well i hadnt died at all, come to think of it, my sheilds were hardly scratched. So i did advanced, had to shield heal a few times, still no deaths..So i tried Elite, Still no deaths but had to heal alot. Of course im flying a fleet excelsior with fleet weapons, and all purple consoles. So for me, i can see a significant change in a mission just by raising the difficulty. Of course i find i like using Elite setting best, as its more of a challenge.

And to give Kirksplat a plug here, ive played his missions. He is one of the better authors in the foundry. I recommend his missions to everyone. Of course his shuttle mission, that he has trouble beating, i can do solo on elite in a runabout with purple gear.
Career Officer
# 20
12-15-2012, 04:48 AM
Alas, my three-hour long mission will never be played for one of the officer reports.

I'm just glad I've had over 200 people play it...it's not easy convincing someone in this game to give up three hours of their life!