Lt. Commander
# 31
12-16-2012, 02:25 PM
The majority of the mistakes made were either :-

Pointed out prior to launch of Season 7 and then ignored.
Pointed out early in Season 7 and then ignored.

Players are not paid to provide balancing feedback and solutions to developers. That is their job. Clearly the person making the balancing decisions needs a talking to, only now, nearing Christmas, are we starting to see the debacle of Season 7's initial "balance" finally get repaired.
Career Officer
# 32
12-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
And just how well are SWTOR and TSW doing right now?

I guess my original point got lost somewhere. But simply put when you continually make massive judgement call errors on your game changes and reintroduce bugs while taking forever to fix new ones as well it shows a problem.

If you go to a restaurant and order a meal how many times does it have to be wrong before you stop going there? In this day and age you don't have the luxury of annoying your customer all the time in a market with this much competition.

If Cryptic wants to grow the game, if they want to run with the big dogs so to speak, they need to increase the level of polish and quality with their releases and decisions. To me they seem so out of touch with every aspect of the playerbase it makes my head hurt. I am not joking when I say I read the tribble patch notes just to see what will be 'exploited' next.

-The overpowered reputation passives were obviously overpowered to anyone.
-The starbase boff bug showed a lack of foresight and familiarity with their own game engine.
-The dilithium changes to STFs were poorly handled with the needless stealth nerf and latter reimplementation.
-Anyone with a shred of common sense would have realized the time gate method of the reputation system encouraged players to not bother playing. Yes this is now fixed.
-Romulan DSEs are still bugged, or are all DSEs bugged I lost track.
-How many items are missing from the Reputation reward tables and how can anyone defend them for that? If they were not ready don't bother putting in the text that I can get them. Haven't they been preaching for the past year about how they won't tell us stuff unless it is for sure?
-Get real tech for foundry or leave it be already. I wonder how long until battleship loot drops will be nerfed because of that. Not to mention the amount of potential exploitation just waiting to be unleashed.
-Doff upgrider costs yet the Fleet Purple Doff floodgates about to be opened.

I am overall happy with the game, overall happy with season 7. I just want this game to be here for a long time and this is my feedback on what I think will help make that happen. This is not a bash or rage post I am neither angry nor attempting to put anyone down. I am concerned.
Well I totally agree, its great to be concerned about a game you love and by all means give the Devs your feedback. Let them know you're not content with the "good enough" development they're putting out. This is Star Trek after all, we should be light years ahead of every other MMO out there.

Your original post however came across as very negative, and I don't agree that its the best way to provide feedback. That's probably where your original post got lost
Commander
# 33
12-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumosmith View Post
The majority of the mistakes made were either :-

Pointed out prior to launch of Season 7 and then ignored.
Pointed out early in Season 7 and then ignored.

Players are not paid to provide balancing feedback and solutions to developers. That is their job. Clearly the person making the balancing decisions needs a talking to, only now, nearing Christmas, are we starting to see the debacle of Season 7's initial "balance" finally get repaired.
How is adding more Dilithium and slicing the reputation timers to barely anything unless you're doing XP ones not fixing them.

Also as I've said in other threads, Developers prefer actual data over player opinions, Dan admitted to less than 100 people testing Season 7 on Tribble, now there's no way they could get all the data they needed from just 100 people.

You want content to go out perfect, then get more people on Tribble to test it, don't want to test it, then don't moan when it doesn't go out perfect.
Captain
# 34
12-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
How is adding more Dilithium and slicing the reputation timers to barely anything unless you're doing XP ones not fixing them.

Also as I've said in other threads, Developers prefer actual data over player opinions, Dan admitted to less than 100 people testing Season 7 on Tribble, now there's no way they could get all the data they needed from just 100 people.

You want content to go out perfect, then get more people on Tribble to test it, don't want to test it, then don't moan when it doesn't go out perfect.
There is 'needing data' and then there is just plain stupid. I don't 'need' test data to tell me that adding a passive shield regeneration ability that heals more than a doff that I just nerfed would be a bad idea.

I do not need test data to tell me that removing a source of dilithium while adding a new source tied to aging content that frankly is embarrassing in quality compared to the new content attached to a mechanic players have complained about since launch is a bad idea. Nor that players can only be playing one type of content at a time so it would be 'ok' to let both grant said reward.

I could go on but I will not. I'm not talking about the small tweaks that are always needed. I'm talking about the huge sweeping changes that have ripple effects in the game and the amount of damage control that was necessary right after season 7 release. I did test on tribble and promptly created a thread of predictions on the economy and so far it has been 100% dead on accurate. I didn't need 'data' to form those predictions they were the logical outcomes.

It just really seems as if they are, at times, very out of touch with both the playerbase and their own game systems. That needs to change. I applaud their rapid responses to the most glaring issues but they never should have existed in the first place.

On top of that they consistently fail to follow threw with intentions. Lets take the entire 'we want all content to provide similar levels of reward'. Is a casual player being rewarded with omega marks in a similar amount as romulan? Strangly enough the hardcore player is having the opposite issue. Is it fair that I run a single FA and get over 1k dil and 50 marks while a fleet alert rewards merely 20ish? fleet marks? And Azure Nebula vs ISE, or even ISE vs IGE. And now battleship royal or whatever it is called that grants over 300k EC, 1k dil, and 50 marks (roughly) wonder how that will end? But no instead they will do what they do, and miss the 'mark' so to speak and just please a few and annoy a few others.

Sorry got a bit ranty there. Simply put 'good enough' is not good enough. Release the content right the first time in a finished state and then you don't have to worry about it.If you have a vision or goal then achieve it don't go half way and make sure you have evaluated the effects properly. It is much easier to build a house on a solid foundation than it is to repair the block after it blows out from the weight of your new roof and you need to get giant jacks under your beams.

This game IS good. This game has vision, personality, and a special something beyond the IP. I have not found a more conflicted system since dnd 3rd that works so well at being great despite itself because of how everything just clicks together. I'm tired of seeing such obvious mistakes when the resources are now there to do it right.
Captain
# 35
12-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Maybe it's just me, but does reading this thread bring to mind Steven Colbert shaking his fist and yelling, "Raaaaiiiinnnn!"?
# 36
12-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Unfortunately Q and Data don't work for Cryptic so human error gets in the way of a good game. Some problems like the regen buff could be as simple as putting a decimal in the wrong spot. It would be nice if there was a sponsor that would give millions each year to hire good employees to make the game better, but Cryptic has done some things that are better than other MMOs that use the F2P model. 3 games that I played that went F2P have endgame content locked behind subscriptions or microtransactions. With STO, I can in theory purchase any C-Store item without paying a cent. Other MMOs require money to have an MMO that is more than a demo version of the actual game.
Captain
# 37
12-16-2012, 08:57 PM
And anyone who complains about grind in this game obviously hasn't played PWI.
# 38
12-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
And anyone who complains about grind in this game obviously hasn't played PWI.
Or any other MMO.
Captain
# 39
12-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Or any other MMO.
Heck, imagine being forced into travel times comparable to LOTRO. That'd be enough to make most players hug their starships tightly.
# 40
12-16-2012, 10:03 PM
They also have made more server not responding bugs that disconnect people especialy from TEXAS seeing as how I have 15 megabits per second internet speed a quadcore cpu and a high quality graphics card they should Fire their ISP and find one that Has less Issues. But seeing as how they wont and the game is almost unplayable for 3 days out of a week I will start looking for one that has less bugs concidering us compainers are right they release a seeson half cocked and buggy as hell forcing you to buy zen just to make the higher missions winnable PW needs to fix alot but we will be the ones to pay for it with new bugs.