Captain
A very smart man said:

"The definition of insanity is someone doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Bonus points if you can name the person without looking it up.

So does this apply to STO?

Edit " This thread is ment to be a somewhat light-hearted discussion - because it could easily be argued that everything we do makes us fall under the definition of insane!!

But your opinions of things in the game do matter - or at least you can think that they do??!! Something to ponder.

Last edited by born2bwild1; 12-17-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Captain
# 2
12-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Albert Einstein!

What do I win?
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
Captain
# 3
12-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleohnine View Post
Albert Einstein!

What do I win?
Yes you win? Are you also insane? Has STO made you that way, or were you already?

Seriously - do you believe STO players fall under this definition? And what aspects of the game do the most?

These are general questions - not just for you 009
Career Officer
# 4
12-17-2012, 01:54 PM
If you mean grinding, then no. The result of grinding is always the same. Nobody expects Traelus to reward you with a pony instead of dilithium if they just keep trying, after all.

If you mean content and systems, like rep/stabrase, then also no. They're the same concept implemented in the same way for the same effect, and since they had the previous release of starbase grind to look at to gauge response, they couldn't have expected anything dissimilar.

If you're talking about the continuous complainers, then yes, to some degree, it does apply. Most of the common culprits are intelligent enough to acknowledge when some good changes occur, but there's a small few who complain no matter what, apparently convinced that their unending derisive language and insults will somehow change something, when for the last nearly three years, it kinda hasn't. Mostly, the "insane" ones are hardcore KDF or PvP players who've forgotten how to say nice things. That said, at the same time, a lot of them are the nicest, most level-headed and intelligent people on these forums.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Einstein may have been smart, but that is a terrible definition. Why? Because it lets the person decide whether they are insane or not. He says:

Quote:
The definition of insanity is someone doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
See the word "expecting"? All someone has to do is say "I'm not expecting different results, I'm expecting the same result" and boom, they are not insane. But insane people dont usually think they are insane, so what they are "expecting" doesnt matter. Insanity is diagnosed by an outside source.
Captain
# 6
12-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bwild1 View Post
A very smart man said:

"The definition of insanity is someone doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Bonus points if you can name the person without looking it up.

So does this apply to STO?
That was me, and I got reprimanded for it- still got the PM if you don't believe me.

...That was the last time I quoted a nobel laureate.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Captain
# 7
12-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
That was me, and I got reprimanded for it- still got the PM if you don't believe me.

...That was the last time I quoted a nobel laureate.
Are you a KDF player who expects things to change for the KDF? And does that make you insane?
Empire Veteran
# 8
12-17-2012, 02:29 PM
I only expect the same results when i do the same things over and over, and i'm fine with that.
Community Moderator
# 9 Moved thread
12-17-2012, 02:31 PM
This thread has been moved from STO Discussion to Ten Forward.

Why?

IMO, I don't see any positive or constructive discussion here about gameplay, with one possible exception thus far. I would venture to say that neither the Devs nor most of the players are actually insane, and the tone of the thread could easily go downhill very fast.

If the discussion can remain "light-hearted" and philosophical then maybe Ten Forward is an appropriate place for it. If it can't, we might have to close it altogether.

As always, if you disagree with this action please file a ticket so that the Forum and Website team can review it.

(Click here to submit a ticket)
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
12-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Old Albert was of course totally wrong

I can deal a deck of shuffled cards a million times
I will get Different results

Science actually often gets different results from the same action

A better definition of insanity is "The condition of a person who differs significantly in outlook from Myself"

or Anyone who Ever studied Freud