Republic Veteran
# 11
12-24-2012, 09:19 AM
I personally like a ship that can move better than a cruiser which is why I am happy with the Vesta(s). Cruisers are alright sometimes. I can imagine just doing something crazy like putting 8 beams on it and keeping one side to your enemy. I imagine it's hard as heck to fight off 8 beams eating your face Still, the vestas have all sorts of goodies. The consoles are alright as just to mess around, I stuck them all on one of my seldom used characters and tried to see how fast I could go with the special drive it is was like whoah! Without buffs, I hit warp 29.8 which was nice, it lasted 45 seconds, and had a small 1 minute cooldown which would be amazing for the tour. Also being able to have the shuttles flying around, bugging your enemies is nice.

I hear a lot of people trashing the oddy in ESD chat. I can't say much about them because I don't have much use for a cruiser as it doesn't really mesh with my play style. If you want something that turns well and has all around survivability, go with the vesta. If you like something with a big hull for tanking, give the Oddy a try.
# 12
12-24-2012, 10:08 AM
imho

Bortas'qu > Odyssey > Vesta

Bortas'qu looks better while shooting Weapons [turrets turrets everywhere!], Odyssey has BEAMS coming from the rear end tip of the nacelles (looks utterly silly if you broadside imho, weapon hardpoints do not belong on warp nacelles, thats like a car shooting from its tires!),
also the 3 Consoles do not cancel each other out by cooldown but work better together!

Odyssey is better than the Vesta because the 3 Variants are actually different, the 3 Vesta Variants are all the same and only have minor alibi differences,
Console Slots are a bit different but don't matter if you have one more Tac/Sci/Eng slot, because you can just swap the UNIVERSAL consoles around like you need it anyway,
and Energy levels can be adjusted manually so initial Powerlevel Boni don't really matter.
So you are buying 3x the same ship with a different Skin and Pay2Win consoles.
BOff Slots are all the Same.

and personally i tried the Vesta but i don't like the visuals of the console powers.

and to top it off, the Odyssey just looks more detailed than the Vesta.
I guess thats a Captain Logan vs. JamzJamz quality thing...

JamzJamz makes good ships, but he usually leaves the bottom and the rear end with very few Details (observed on Armitage too). The Oddy has a strong detailed rear end and bottom hull, looks like a real Ship to me and not some Polygon faximile of a Ship, the Vesta gives me OCD when i look at it from behind with it's lack of rear end detail.

In the End... Vesta is not fun if you don't like Science Ships / Skills, if you already fly a Nebula or Intrepid and love them, than the Vesta might be for you.

Oddy + Bortas'qu are more adaptable than the Vesta and good for Engineer and Tac Captains and works for Sci Captains too.
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
12-25-2012, 05:45 PM
I am primarily a science captain. I fly a lot of ships at VA level, as I am a generalist. I use a universal skill build and have a lot of extra boff slots so that I can enjoy STO in what ever way I feel like without having to grind out everything multiple times across multiple characters.

If I had to give up all my ships but one I would have to keep either the 1000 day ship or the tactical Vesta. The Vesta simply has fantastic utility.

Cannons running off auxiliary power mean full damage output and science powers at twice their normal power as couple of turrets and a torpedo or mine launcher in the rear will draw so little weapons power you can run with that at minimum and full power to aux.

The Odyssey pack is grate value for money. Its a fantastic cruiser. But at the end of the day a commander level science ability is more useful then a commander level engineering ability.

The Vesta's DPS potential against both single and multiple targets is far grater then that of the Odyssey. The universal consoles the Vesta comes with are better then those of the Odyssey. The Vesta has a hanger. The Vesta is more manoeuvrable. The Vesta has three separate appearances with interchangeable parts (but doesn't have a unique bridge like the Odyssey does).

If you want to take the most damage it is possible to take fly an Odyssey. If you want to dedicate your ship to repairing the hull and shields of your team mates fly an Odyssey. If you don't like how the Vesta looks fly an Odyssey. Otherwise go with the Vesta.

Last edited by pwstolemyname; 12-25-2012 at 05:48 PM.