Empire Veteran
# 1 No money in the future
12-17-2012, 10:39 PM
This kind of explains why they don't "use" money in Star Trek

http://vanparecon.resist.ca/StarTrekEcon/
Captain
# 2
12-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Having replicators certainly would make our current economy system obsolete. Currency would have to be based on energy rather than a tangible item like money and gold.
Career Officer
# 3
12-18-2012, 05:38 AM
The fatal flaw I see with this is that lots of people are just plain lazy and/or mooches. I suppose if we accept that running into aliens magically changed all humans and got rid of all the bad qualities, then it would work.

I don't think this would work in the real world. But then again, (blasphemy of Roddenberry alert), I don't subscribe to Humanism.

Where are the penalties for not performing the amount of work you said you would? If there are no penalties, you end up with an economy that is based on rewarding those who do not work and punishing those who do. Same basic folly of communism. Sounds like a good idea in theory, but when you add imperfect humans into the equation it all falls apart.

****End of Treatise****

Porthos is not amused.
Captain
# 4
12-18-2012, 05:54 AM
Looking at Voyager, the "energy credit" currency was already implemented, indicated by "Replicator Rations" that was appearently a constant supply issue for Tom Parris.

I belive the reason we never saw it in DS9 and TNG was because Energy supply in the right form wasn't as limited as it was in Voyager.

Since DS9 and the Ent-D more or less had unlimited access to federation compatible energy, it would not have been subject to the same "Supply and demand" issues that voyager had to deal with, as they would need to seek out viable supply.

More realistically, DS9 and TNG probably didn have them, because they didn need to find a task for a annoying talaxian. If the replicators had a unlimited supply in VOY, Neelix would have been a character without purpose 98% of the time.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Career Officer
# 5
12-18-2012, 06:49 AM
I kind of thought that the officers stationed on DS9 must have been getting some kind of stipend because they were able to buy things from the replimat, the vendors, play dabo, etc.

Porthos is not amused.
Commander
# 6
12-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Ah, so the DS9 staff were all subscribers then?
Career Officer
# 7
12-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortjinx View Post
Ah, so the DS9 staff were all subscribers then?
Well, wasn't Starfleet essentially leasing the station from the Bajoran government to be used as Deep Space Nine?
Member since November 2009... I think.
(UFP) Ragnarök Fleet - Logistics Division Vice Admiral T'Phira; Captain Selena; Captain Altecha; Captain K'Kera; Lieutenant Aydihe Tefx; Subcommander S'ena
(KDF) Lieutenant General Vokno (aka Lady Vokno); Lieutenant General Raylene
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
12-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
The fatal flaw I see with this is that lots of people are just plain lazy and/or mooches. I suppose if we accept that running into aliens magically changed all humans and got rid of all the bad qualities, then it would work.

I don't think this would work in the real world. But then again, (blasphemy of Roddenberry alert), I don't subscribe to Humanism.

Where are the penalties for not performing the amount of work you said you would? If there are no penalties, you end up with an economy that is based on rewarding those who do not work and punishing those who do. Same basic folly of communism. Sounds like a good idea in theory, but when you add imperfect humans into the equation it all falls apart.

****End of Treatise****
Not to mention convincing the 7% of the population, to give up the 83% of the wealth they control. That's the real reason, everthing still runs on dinosaur goop. and you're right, it doesn't work in the real world. Just try telling someone who collects a check from welfare for doing nothing, that from now on, they have to volunteer 8 hours a day, sorting gargbage at the recycling center. They'll look at you like you got crap on your forehead, and call you a rascist.

Last edited by mkilczewski; 12-18-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Captain
# 9
12-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Currency existed: Gold Pressed Latinum

It simply wasn't seen in use in ToS or TNG as it hadn't been discovered by the writers Although in in-universe terms, it could be explained away that those adventures essentially took place on military vehicles, where officers 'food and lodging' was provided for them by Starfleet, where they would have such little need for 'sundry goods', it was no financial loss for them to be given unlimited replicator access. (Why the crew of Voyager didn't think to bring asteroids and such on board to be recycled for providing raw matter to be used by the replicators is beyond me (other than it would make the necessity for replicator rations irrelevant)) With regards the above comment as to what would happen to those who failed to do their promised quota of work: Simple. They would be prosecuted for breach of contract, and sent to New Zealand... There was clearly enough of a need for the Federation to maintain a penal colony, so the 24th/25th Centuries were clearly not without criminal elements (aside from the obvious machinations of the Orion Syndicate) Families of money, would still have their wealth, just in GPL rather than Earth Dollars
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
12-18-2012, 10:21 AM
the Federation Credit
it still exists and has existed since tos times

don't try and argue it its not worth the trouble