Captain
# 1 And then S8 came...
12-16-2012, 09:19 PM
"Number One. I just found this PADD. It must have fallen behind the replicator at some point. Can you tell me what this log means?"

"Hmm. Well, Captain. It seems that a few years ago we discovered definite proof the Iconians were behind the Undine infiltration and if we acted upon it we could have probably convinced them to leave so we could work on ending all of our wars."

"Dear lord! Why didn't we do so!?"

"I believe we were too busy breeding Romulan space rabbits, sir."

Just saying, Cryptic. Something needs to be un-ignored...

Last edited by twg042370; 12-16-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Captain
# 2
12-16-2012, 09:24 PM
To be fair, it doesn't seem like the Undine are really up to anything these days. All the most recent content has been about the Borg, Dominion, Romulans/Remans, and Tholans.

Seems to me that the Undine are pretty much done masquerading and infiltrating.
Captain
# 3
12-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
"Number One. I just found this PADD. It must have fallen behind the replicator at some point. Can you tell me what this log means?"

"Hmm. Well, Captain. It seems that a few years ago we discovered definite proof the Iconians were behind the Undine infiltration and if we acted upon it we could have probably convinced them to leave so we could work on ending all of our wars."

"Dear lord! Why didn't we do so!?"

"I believe we were too busy breeding Romulan space rabbits, sir."
In game-time, Cloaked Intentions only took place a month or two ago. Presumably the same is true of the Undine storyline as well.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 4
12-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Sure, but it does strike me as one of those things that needs a follow up.
# 5
12-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
To be fair, it doesn't seem like the Undine are really up to anything these days. All the most recent content has been about the Borg, Dominion, Romulans/Remans, and Tholans.

Seems to me that the Undine are pretty much done masquerading and infiltrating.
Didn't the article in Star Trek magazine say that Data ended the Undine war?

Now, that brings up a different issue, which is that we have to keep relying on relatively obscure sources for our lore updates, like daily "datalog" missions, cryptic dev blogs for lockbox ships, and magazine articles.

But I'm pretty sure the Undine plot is mostly considered to be over now.
Captain
# 6
12-16-2012, 09:50 PM
You folks assume that this game is trying to tell a story that makes sense. It is not. It doesn't care. If they thought that you'd like to earn dilithium or buy zen by farming papa smurfs, they'd go for it, even if papa smurfs were a mortal enemy of farming, according to a previous Cryptic mission.

At some point, just stop trying to rationalize this game that has no rationale.

Dan Stahl himself couldn't explain the plot of this game. If he'd like to try, go ahead. It will just make heads spin and lots of "WTFs?"

Last edited by kirksplat; 12-16-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Career Officer
# 7
12-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Didn't the article in Star Trek magazine say that Data ended the Undine war?

Now, that brings up a different issue, which is that we have to keep relying on relatively obscure sources for our lore updates, like daily "datalog" missions, cryptic dev blogs for lockbox ships, and magazine articles.

But I'm pretty sure the Undine plot is mostly considered to be over now.
That's pretty lame, if so. They can't just have some esoteric update in a magazine. There needs to be an actual mission in-game that caps it off.

Last we knew the Undine still didn't like us, and there was something with the Iconians provoking them, and now it's just over? That's hard for me to believe, even with the small weight story gets in STO.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
# 8
12-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Didn't the article in Star Trek magazine say that Data ended the Undine war?.
"Thanks for all your hard work, Admiral. Will you be there when Data gets his medals?"
# 9
12-16-2012, 10:09 PM
I think we might be seeing some sort of writing direction emerging as soon? as S8 one of the more recent Additions to the staff was Sean mccann who was one of the lead story arc writers for the Dearly departed City of heroes. I think his "Redname" is Commander Anders
Career Officer
# 10
12-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
You folks assume that this game is trying to tell a story that makes sense. It is not. It doesn't care. If they thought that you'd like to earn dilithium or buy zen by farming papa smurfs, they'd go for it, even if papa smurfs were a mortal enemy of farming, according to a previous Cryptic mission.

At some point, just stop trying to rationalize this game that has no rationale.

Dan Stahl himself couldn't explain the plot of this game. If he'd like to try, go ahead. It will just make heads spin and lots of "WTFs?"
Hard to believe he wouldn't know when STO could be summed up as "The New Century of Adventure, where the Federation and the Klingon Empire struggle against old and new threats.

STO's storylines are good, just that there isn't things really presenting the overall story and how the bits and pieces are put together. Like the war with the KDF and the sudden end of hostilies. As far as we know it was "oh Borg attacking, lets be friends again". But the presentation was weak. Even worse with the KDF and the Romulans, they were conquoring Romulan Space and suddenly it's not anything happened and "lets be friends".

So Cryptic needs to fill those cracks.