Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway
Login

Captain
# 11
12-21-2012, 04:25 PM
I hope to hell they don't decide to make doors as stupidly obvious to find as interact-able objects are now or if they do at least give us an option to turn the effects off.
I have a tricorder, I know how to use it and I have never had a problem finding things.
There is nothing in the game that is impossible to find, you just have to actually look.
Huh imagine that, Star Trek having anything to do with exploration.
Captain
# 12
12-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Please... Don't ask for things that show directions...

Last time they did that, we ended up with a TOS fake, cartoonish excuse for lousy made directional signs.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Captain
# 13
12-22-2012, 10:05 AM
All that is really needed is a tool tip that comes up when you mouse over an object or a position on the map, no stupid arrows saying "this way dummy", no idiotic sparkly effects saying "ya I'm obviously what you're looking for", just a simple mouseover tool tip.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-22-2012, 11:24 AM
General locations like whole clusters are not a problem. A quick look at the map and you can just see where they all are. Quarks wasn't an issue for me because, as others have said, just run a lap 'round the promenade looking for conspicuous doors-like surfaces (haven't watched DS9 enough to remember where it is exactly, or what the doors/doorway looked like).

I have had the odd mission where a specific star system location isn't properly given in the mission description, and that can be a problem. Skimming the big galaxy map for clusters is no big deal, since they're basically just mini sectors, but searching for an individual star when you don't even know which sector block it's in is a right PITA.

I wouldn't ask for any fancy hyperlinks or map markers or anything like that though. Just that whoever's writing the mission (official or Foundry) consistently remember to include the standard "in the X sector of Y sector block" in the mission tab briefing text.
Survivor of Romulus
# 15
12-22-2012, 11:30 AM
I asked a passing Gorn for directions the first time I needed to find quarks (I was on the wrong floor)
Captain
# 16
12-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
I asked a passing Gorn for directions the first time I needed to find quarks (I was on the wrong floor)
Lemme guess, in response he pounded you into the deck like a tent spike.
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
12-22-2012, 02:00 PM
No he said (and I quote) "lower deck opposite the bajoran temple"
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-23-2012, 10:25 AM
honestly most of the questions asked can be answered in either quest text or you would know already if you had done the tutorials.

i think people who need somebody to hold their hand and be led to where every little thing is in the game should go back to consoles and leave mmos alone. quarks is on ds9 and the missions there are captain level. if you have made it to captain level and still dont know how to use the map or read directions in the quest text putting away the game and going back to your playstation would be the best bet.

thats why zone chat is full of these people looking for this that or the other. too many people playing that cant be bothered to read quest text or tooltips or just press M for the map. there are a large number of people who have leveled through this game and are some amazing end game players who dont run to the wiki for every mission.

learn to play the game experience the game and complete the quests. the point is to enjoy the game not just complete the quests as fast as possible. quests are puzzles ment to teach you things you need to know. you will be better off in end game if you actually know how to do things and not rely on information on a site somewhere that is most likely outdated or wrong.
Survivor of Romulus
# 19
12-23-2012, 11:21 AM
the Wiki is mostly wrong anyway
Rihannsu
# 20
12-23-2012, 03:34 PM
it's not "wrong," some of the stuff just hasn't been updated to reflect recent changes yet, besides, it's a wiki, there's nothing stopping you from fixing any errors you find.