Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Starfleet Veteran
# 11
12-19-2012, 06:25 AM
Nancy Leider....ye gods, there's a piece of work. I hang around on a science forum that had a whole section dedicated to debunking her crap back when she was really going bonkers...telling people to put their pets down to "spare them" the pain of the end of the world.

I was wondering if she were still lurking in her madhouse somewhere.
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
12-19-2012, 06:52 AM
Yep, she's been sliding her doomsday back bit by bit as key events fail to happen. She was pretty big behind the 12/21/12 theory, but of course that one spiraled way beyond just her. By the looks of it she's gearing up for another delay. I wonder if she'll give it her usual 1-3 year nudge or only push it to the 26th - we've got a likely first-orbit comet coming within 1 AU of Earth that day that's already getting attention as a second chance for Nibiru to show its face.
Career Officer
# 13
12-19-2012, 06:56 AM
I don't know about the 21st, but I can guarantee that by the 23rd, there will be a lot of people alive who will have come to the conclusion that they are, in fact, gullible idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
However, the REAL fun? The person principally behind this doomsday (as well as failed doomsdays in 2003, 5, 7, 10, and 11) is Nancy Lieder. She has an online Q&A chat session scheduled for the day after her own doomsday prediction.

Now there's confidence for you. Not the fact that she clearly doubts her own prediction, but that she'll brave internet trolls in a poorly moderated environment on the very day of her failure.
No doubt it's all about publicity. Her 5 minutes of fame if you like. People have been remembered for worse.
Career Officer
# 14
12-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Quick question: Does the world end earlier, or later for new Zealand, as they are one of the first contries to get hit by 21'st?

Just need to know if I should find a better timezone (GMT+1 in my case), as I have some things I need to get done before the 22'nd, and if NZ gets less time than me, I guess I will be fine.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Commander
# 15
12-19-2012, 07:17 AM
i will go to some bet-office, place all my money on "this wont be the end". either i am a rich person or we are all dead anyway.
What ? Calaway.
Ensign
# 16
12-19-2012, 07:23 AM
I will watch the movie and take some popcorn.
Republic Veteran
# 17
12-19-2012, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
However, the REAL fun? The person principally behind this doomsday (as well as failed doomsdays in 2003, 5, 7, 10, and 11) ....
This. I would be more concerned about the whole "end of the world" if it wasn't predicted to end several times in the two decades alone, and yet despite all "evidence" it continues to exist. So yes, not really concerned about the 21st.
Survivor of Romulus
# 18
12-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Officially its Mayan time (Dawn ish)

unofficially it won't happen

the mayan long count is about PLANTING MAIZE nothing else
Empire Veteran
# 19
12-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Quick question: Does the world end earlier, or later for new Zealand, as they are one of the first contries to get hit by 21'st?

Just need to know if I should find a better timezone (GMT+1 in my case), as I have some things I need to get done before the 22'nd, and if NZ gets less time than me, I guess I will be fine.
I've been wondering that too.

If I had to ponder a guess, I'd say maybe more a Western hemisphere time zone, just because the Mayans were on that side of the planet.

At least if that's true, it might end up happening while those of us in the Americas will be asleep.

Starfleet Veteran
# 20
12-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Officially its Mayan time (Dawn ish)

unofficially it won't happen

the mayan long count is about PLANTING MAIZE nothing else
This one's not even their long count. There's two more units of time above the baktun. The thirteenth baktun is ending this week, but the first piktun doesn't end until right around the 48th Century, and there's eight thousand (?) piktuns in an alaurun. Their calendar doesn't actually "end" for another 63 million years, and even then it just rolls over to the start again to kick off the second alaurun.

They're units of time as arbitrary as our decade or century, and the whole thing is even less astronomically accurate than our mess that we have to keep poking back and forth to keep lined up. When one ends, you just increment the number and start over.

Last edited by hevach; 12-19-2012 at 12:00 PM.