Ensign
# 1 Rainbow Away Team
12-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Experienced players stick to one type of energy for their ship weapons. Anybody know if this works the same for the away team or is it better to have different energy types for each away team members weapon. It seems that when fighting the Borg its better to have different energy types so when they adapt to the weapon and change modulation not all the weapons are effected.
Career Officer
# 2
12-18-2012, 03:22 PM
I do make a habit of mixing energy types on ground. It saves on instances of complete failure if the enemy should have some unexpected resistance, and I'm too lazy to re-gear my whole away team for every mission.
I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
Ensign
# 3
12-18-2012, 03:32 PM
I have been told that for ground combat with Borg; one should try to equip Bridge Officers with different energy weapon types for the reason you had mentioned. For instance, say if all are using Anti-proton; then once they adapt against Anti-proton; all weapons become ineffective until remodulated.

Along the same line of thought; I am told that as well, players weapons should be of two different energy types for the same reason. If one energy type has been adapted too and you find yourself on remodulation cooldown still; you can switch to your secondary weapon and then use it until the cooldown has completed (I am told this rapid re-adaptation can be a problem with using rapid firing energy weapons against Borg).
Commander
# 4
12-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Outside of STFs Ground PVE is just to easy. I don't think that it matters one way or the other which weapon types you use. I leveled my Science Alt all the way to VA using the little TOS phaser with my BOFFs equipped the phasers from the TOS bundle.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
12-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Yep TOS phasers (from the bundle as those scale) will work all the way to the top

just remember to remodulate against borg and carry a Sword for back up
Career Officer
# 6
12-18-2012, 04:51 PM
If you bought the DS9 bundle, the phasers in there are great for BOFF duty as well since they level up with you - they do more damage than the TOS ones, too. Sadly, you can't repeatedly claim them.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
12-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Advantages of the TOS phaser

1 proper original weapon
2 correct sound effect
3 entirely canon
4 levels as you do
5 disintegrates
6 really grinds the gears of the maco elites when you out damage them HAHA
Captain
# 8
12-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Advantages of the TOS phaser

1 proper original weapon
2 correct sound effect
3 entirely canon
4 levels as you do
5 disintegrates
6 really grinds the gears of the maco elites when you out damage them HAHA
points 1 to 5 are completely irrelevant for performance, actually counter productive, since they do significantly less dmg then, brings me to point 6, the maco/omega/KHG weapons

to point 4, stops at MKXI...compareable to a green stun pistol (which is lowest of the lowest ground weapons in the game)

to point 5, yes it does disintegrate, so do each and every exploit weapons...it is still just a visual effect with no impact on gamemechanic whatsoever

plz stop suggesting this weapons do actually belong in endgame content of any kind, they don't...purely roleplay weapons

on topic: really doesn't matter what kind of weapon types you carry around...antiproton seem usefull in some cases since they crit higher than other weapons...polaron is irrelevant against borg, since the borg do not use weapon that can be disabled (yeah sounds odd, but thats the case, borg weapons do not count as weapons)
phasers aren't actually that bad, the knockback is like a 1 second stun or interrupt and you can push some borg into the plasma in IGE.
important is, that you have a MKXII purple preferable an exploit type, or some that do high burst dmg.

myself i prefer the advanced fleet antiproton compression pistol, medium range, high firerate (on the second function), high crit numbers (very bursty)
combined with maco sniper rifle for set bonus and long range
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 12-18-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Captain
# 9
12-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Each of my Officers carry a different beam weapon. Each weapon also has a different effect. Like goes through armor, slows you down, etc. Plus I usually pick different weapons effects as well. Some stun, some for group attack, etc. So I can handle ground groups with different effects and damage. Even my Capt. I have a weapon for my first choice, and for bosses I have something different.

My KDF Capt. has the usual Bat'leth as well. I have yet found anything that blade can't handle. Even the Borg is no match for it, even with their adaptations. As Worf said in "First Contact", Assimilate this!
Career Officer
# 10
12-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Keep in mind that Borg adaptation is on a per person basis (you get a "buff" after a few shots made against Borg NPCs that reduces the damage done by the weapon type you're using), so it really doesn't matter if your bridge officers carry the same weapon type or not. Mix different energy types to take advantage of different combinations.
@HyperLimited