Captain
# 31
12-27-2012, 12:22 PM
One thing that I think will end up helping is the fact that the spotlighted missions always top the list, even in the open search. This is good because once a certain number of them accumulate EVERYTHING will be buried and people will be forced to search around a bit and not just 5 star quickies to put them up top.
Captain
# 32
12-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Why is it good to "force" people to do anything? This is a game. It's about enjoyment, not behavior modification. I will do what gives me joy, with zero regard for what anyone arbitrarily decides is the "correct" way of doing XYZ.

In this case, that means the absolute shortest path to the "Investigate officer reports" reward. Like it or lump it, but I'll not be submitting my habits for anyone's approval.
Captain
# 33
12-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanover2 View Post
Why is it good to "force" people to do anything? This is a game. It's about enjoyment, not behavior modification. I will do what gives me joy, with zero regard for what anyone arbitrarily decides is the "correct" way of doing XYZ.

In this case, that means the absolute shortest path to the "Investigate officer reports" reward. Like it or lump it, but I'll not be submitting my habits for anyone's approval.
I have 4 missions in the top 20 (not counting the brand new all 5's that come and go), this would affect me more than most but I am still in favor of it because I WANT people's missions to get played, even when they are occasionally not mine. As to "forcing" you to search out the missions you want to play instead of just jamming the top of our list with garbage for the convienance of grinders with no respect for the Foundry to start with: too bad.

The foundry is the realm of foundry players. If you want to play some of our missions for dil fine. If you want to play quick crappy missions, fine. Don't try to co-opt our tool to do so. What matters in the foundry is what's best for foundry players and authors. The grinders and their wishes are utterly meaningless. In fact I am more than a little hostile to that crowd given their behavior toward us when the 3 clikie daily went away.

Last edited by ajstoner; 12-27-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Captain
# 34
12-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner View Post
The foundry is the realm of foundry players.
The foundry is the realm of whomever the **** wants to visit it, for reasons not subject to your approval.

Quote:
What matters in the foundry is what's best for foundry players and authors.
What matters in the foundry is up to the individual behind his mouse and keyboard, also not subject to your approval.
Captain
# 35
12-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Never said ANYTHING was subject to my approval. This is a baseless ad homonym attack that tries to restate what was said in a distorted way and then goes after that instead of what was actually said to avoid having to make an actual point. That might work on a 12 year old but not me.

YOU are the one arguing that the Foundry is there for your personal dilithium-grinding convenience and that the people who use it for actual story-telling (what it is intended for) should be shafted because you don't personally care for that.

Quote:
The foundry is the realm of whomever the **** wants to visit it, for reasons not subject to your approval.
It has a specific purpose: It is a story telling tool.

Quote:
What matters in the foundry is up to the individual behind his mouse and keyboard, also not subject to your approval.
Never said anything about censoring any mission based on type. I am a published writer and I've been both physically injured and jailed because of standing-up for other people's right to speech. This is an extremely offensive, if sadly typical, remark.

Last edited by ajstoner; 12-27-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Captain
# 36
12-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Quote:
YOU are the one arguing that the Foundry is there for your personal dilithium-grinding convenience
It's part of the product I've purchased with my subscription, and therefore it's "for" whatever the **** I want it to be for.

Quote:
and that the people who use it for actual story-telling (what it is intended for) should be shafted because you don't personally care for that.
Cry me a river, your works of literary genius are unpopular. The market has spoken. Deal with it.
Survivor of Romulus
# 37
12-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Guys, keep in mind I'm not a community manager, but the last thread that started down this road got deleted. Not closed, not edited, deleted. If you want to continue the conversation at all, I'd suggest taking a deep breath.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Captain
# 38
12-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Oh, I'm done. I think his statements speak for themselves.
Captain
# 39
12-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Oh, I'm done. I think his statements speak for themselves.
You mean, by being right and stuff?

Look, I can understand that you feel this is how you express yourself creatively. But user generated content exists as something for the company to sell to consumers. You're doing it for free, but you're effectively an employee of PWE when you create a foundry mission.

And since it's out of your hands at that point, it becomes the choice of the consumer how they use that UGC. For the stories or for the dil.

I agree that the exploits are insulting to authors. I agree that they can unbalance things as well. Cryptic should have a small team play-testing the missions before approval. That way they can kill the exploit missions before they hit and authors can create short ones that will count towards the wrapper reward. But then that defeats the purpose of UGC: Players doing the dev's jobs for them.

Maybe they can get the last two Champions Online devs to do it since they're not doing anything aside from keeping the servers from rusting.
# 40
12-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Well, in the topic of the OP.

I recently got out a mission from 0 plays to qualifying, but, I can't say with a good head or not if it was or was not effected by this. Getting out of "review hell" has always been a bit of an issue, it could be said it has expanded out to the first 25 plays. Still, after 5 the general playerbase now sees the mission to start voting without the reviewer tab but, I've seen good missions that have only procured 30 plays after a few months.

I can't say if it is the process building up to qualifying doing harm or not. To make a qualified guess we'd need more data. I'm afraid Cryptic is the only folks with it.