Starfleet Veteran
# 1 If you had too ...
01-01-2013, 12:54 PM
allocate The captains of STO (Janeway etc)

What tactical etc would they be? ( I know this is only a game and most of it doesn't leave to the real trek universe )
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Captain
# 2
01-01-2013, 06:18 PM
You mean like Career Paths (Tactical/Engineering/Science)?

If I recall correctly Janeway was a scientist who worked her way up the ranks, So there you go for that one. Most of the other Captains strike me as very tactical oriented. Especially Kirk. He has stereotypical fighter pilot written all over him.
Career Officer
# 3
01-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Sisko was an Engineer, Janeway was a Science Officer. Kirk's definitely Tactical. Picard's a tough one, but I'd say he's Science (with Riker as his Tactical backup). The Enterprise-D was always using inverse beams and Target engines and weapons and things under his command.
Lieutenant
# 4
01-01-2013, 11:13 PM
picard was more a diplomate so wouldnt that fall in tactical then?
Career Officer
# 5
01-01-2013, 11:21 PM
I'd call Picard a Tactical Captain. Sure he had an interest in some sciences, archaeology mostly, but when you look at how he captained, the things he did and the accomplishments he had, he's straight-up Tactical. But he's an Alpha Strike tactical captain, as opposed to Kirk's Sustained DPS. Picard was patient and knew how to hold his cards until he could hit most effectively; Kirk was always going right for the fight and would mix it up eight days a week when he had to.

Janeway is Science (it's the only explanation for the Magic Meeting Room and the technobabble of the week fixes).

And Sisko is so very Engineer (there's no way a Defiant could take that much damage with any other captain type <_<)
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
01-02-2013, 06:12 AM
Picard was at the helm before he became a captain. The shows drift around what department that actually is (usually tactical, but sometimes operations or engineering), but while there he pioneered a tactical maneuver that they later named after him, so in his case it looks pretty tactical to me.

He had an interest in science, but he specifically turned down the opportunity to make it his career while he was still in the academy.

Most of the Enterprise-D's technobabble wasn't handled by him, but Data.
Captain
# 7
01-02-2013, 06:19 AM
Picard was pretty tactical. His main niche was diplomacy. He rarely got involved with the science or engineering technobabble, he left it to Data and Geordi.

Sisko was a starship engineer, having helped design the Defiant.

Janeway was 100% science.

Kirk was a cowboy.
Career Officer
# 8
01-02-2013, 06:34 AM
I don't think Picard was a tactical officer.

Remember that episode where Picard died I think getting his artificial heart replaced, and Q met him in the afterlife ?

Didn't Q give Picard another chance to "do things right" and not take the risks he did in his life, (especially the one that lost him his natural heart with the fight with the Nauccicans).

If I remember correctly, didn't Picard end up as a science officer in that episode ?, His uniform was BLUE, asking Troi and Riker if there were any chances of him moving up in the ranks ? I believe their response to him was in the negative, because he didn't take enough risks. He wasn't standing out enough.

But he ended up a science officer. I don't think it was because he changed career, the moral of the story seemed to be that he needed to take the risks that he regretted, (including the one that lost him his heart), because they made him the man that he was.

Perhaps Picard was a science officer with a chip on his shoulder, who like to start fights?
"And at Warp 10, we're going nowhere mighty fast."-Scotty

Last edited by vengefuldjinn; 01-02-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Career Officer
# 9
01-02-2013, 07:35 AM
Picard was a diplomat by the time of TNG, and was captain largely because he took some initiatives not because it was his specialty. In TNG Tapestry we see Picard would be science (astrophysics actually). Don't forget he was also into archeology and almost took over the Atlantis project in TNG Family. Don't let he red shirt fool you into thinking he's tactical just because that is what they wear in STO (Tactical is actually yellow in TNG).

As I recall, these are the generally accepted tracks for the captains seen in the shows:

Archer - Engineer
Kirk - Tactical
Picard - Science
Sisko - Engineer
Janeway - Science

Some BO's who become captains would most likely be:
Spock - Science
Sulu - Tactical
Riker - Tactical
Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
Captain
# 10
01-02-2013, 07:42 AM
I wouldn't call Picard a tactical officer, in so much as he was never a security officer, but he was certainly very strategically minded, and probably had the broadest range of skills of the other Captains... He was clearly an explorer and a diplomat, rather than being a 'facts and figures' scientist, but he understood the sciences enough to not be out of his depth when it came to technobabble. Equally, in Season One, he was able to identify a phaser set to kill by the sound of the discharge, and in First Contact, was skilled enough to not only strip down a phaser rifle (any good soldier can field-strip their weapon) but also began modifying the internal components to alter the beam harmonics, so he clearly has advanced tactical training (which he sponsored Ro Laren to undertake) Janeway and Sisko could probably do the same, but I can't see Kirk having the knowledge or skills to undertake such modifications... Very hard to pin Picard down with 'a label', as his skills were so broad-ranging, where as mentioned, Janeway was a science officer, and Sisko was originally an engineer. Kirk... Yeah, cowboy... Same for Archer, but at least Archer was a test pilot, so he does at least have a skill set beyond Kirk's "I'm awesome, let's kick someone's ass!" attitude Anyone else seen Empire Records? The scene where Rex Manning sucker punches AJ while he's being held back... That's how Kirk rolls... Not afraid to get into a fight, but equally not above resorting to underhand tactics when the situation presents itself...

Last edited by marcusdkane; 01-02-2013 at 07:44 AM.