Starfleet Veteran
# 1 Some Normality?
12-20-2012, 04:29 AM
Salutations all!
Something missing. Well maybe not missing but it would be fantastic if we could have these things. That is Some NORMALITY
Better - range of - food
More pets(?)

So what food?
Pizza - nearly everyone loves pizza , and Steak and Ale pie (hmmmmm yummy) A steak with chips . You know something we know and love.

Pets: A cat? (With different breeds) A dog? (again with different breeds)
Personally I would like to eat some Pie as opposed than some werid thing from Qo'nos and a pet I know and love.

So DEVs / people what do you think?
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Lieutenant
# 2
12-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Cats and dogs sound good.

Although food seems to be mostly a novelty item in game- Perhaps the (or a few different) Human chief(s) could unlock regional Terran dishes such as Hot Dogs, Pizza, Schnitzel, Tacos, Borscht, Gyros, etc. We already have Catfish and Jambalaya.

A nicer eating and drinking animation would be nice too.
Captain
# 3
12-20-2012, 09:22 AM
I don't think replicators will allow such unhealthy foods to be made, and they probably alert starfleet health police if replicator tampering is detected.

Then there's the whole pet allergy thing...
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-20-2012, 09:30 PM
IIRC replicated food is not really chemically/nutritionally the same as the real thing anyway, but is instead merely designed to mimic the texture and flavor. On the microscopic level and below it's like comparing a Disneyland fake wilderness with real trees and landscape: the aesthetic is similar, but the materials and structure are completely different. Star trek being utopian in outlook though, it is presumably actually quite healthy compared to the modern concept of processed/synthetic foods. Counselor Troi can probably eat nothing but ice cream for every meal if she wants, since the replicator version can actually be superfood that just tastes & feels like ice cream.

...But seeing as how mankind has "outgrown" such things as non-classical music and recorded (as opposed to live stage) performance drama, people still replicate overcooked lima beans and save ice cream for dessert.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by selraxxx View Post
We already have Catfish and Jambalaya.
I think those are actually shout-outs to the shows (Trip and Sisko, respectively) rather than random earth dishes. I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I think all the Earth foods in the game are similar shout-outs.